30's ADHD Mama to 4 w/ 60lbs to Lose /*friends wanted*

Options
Hi all! :)

I am a sugar/food binger that has increasingly gotten worse since being a stay at home mom (sahm) and have depression/post-partum depression and ADHD with ocd undertones haha (as well as anxiety /panic attacks which are pretty under control ). I'm 5'2/5'3 and about 180 lbs. I can't believe I am being so open about this as it's hard for me to even say it to myself!

I am not so open even with my closest friends or family members so this is a big step for me and would appreciate any new friends who are in similar situations! Please send a msg with your friend request iif you can! :)

I have 4 children (3 biological 1 stepson) and have had 3 c-sections. This had an enormous impact on me in terms of depression, pain, anxiety, etc. I had 1st Caesarean after 38 hours or so of labour and 24 of hard labour in hospital. The 2nd was an emergency (real emergency not just it's just not happening) section after a failed Vbac in hospital, and the 3rd was a planned Caesarean to reduce my risk and baby's risk of complications for several reasons. I have had antenatal depression twice due to hyperemesis and hormone fluctuations, and post-partum depression all 3 times. This is not to say that I LOVE my children! I just have some extra "difficulties" with motherhood sometimes :)

I am reducing the types of foods I eat right now to 90% grain-free, minimal refined sugars, lower fat, lower glycemic foods in an attempt to eliminate these huge crashes I have during the day/evening, and extreme tummy pain after eating, in the am, etc. I have gallstones, GERD and some other health related issues that I should have taken care of before becoming so overweight. Now is my chance to work on this and get my life back! :)

Replies

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Bump. :) Any mamas out there?
  • yornma
    yornma Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but I saw your post and wanted to say you are very brave for sharing yourself. :)

I deal with depression too.. and seasonal depression.. so I decided to get more active to combat some of the depression.
  • ccawood3
    Options
    I am a mom of 2, and I am a single mom so I can relate to the challenges of motherhood. I am a stress eater, and when I am bored I tend to eat. I have no will power when it comes to eating, I love sweets. I will eat good for 2-3 days, and then I "relapse", I wish losing was as easy as gaining the weight. Thanks for sharing!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    welcome fellow ADHDER! use it to your advantage to get motivated and workout.

feel free to add me!
  • buckwheat30us
    buckwheat30us Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a mother although I'm sure some have called me that before. but the very nice thing about being here on MFP is that they are supportive while still being anonymous.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I forgot to mention it's not *just* moms for friends although it helps for folks understanding somethings that are challenges for me. But, it's not the most important! :)
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I am also ADHD and a mom to 3 kids two girls which are mine and my husbands and my step son.. I'm working on loing weight and its a hard things to do... Friend me if you would like to... I'm willing to help you out even if its just to be here for you to talk to..
  • jlzangaro
    jlzangaro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a stay at home mom of 6:) I suffered from some major depression after my last child was born and also gained a huge amount of weight.
  • Anselee
    Anselee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm not a mom, but I do have over 60 lbs to lose and I'm also a daily logger as well looking for fun and motivated friends so feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a fellow adult ADHD lady. I'll send you a friend request. I'd love to have more adult ADHD friends! I think some of our struggles are different and I"m also interested to have "friends" w/ ADHD since I don't tell most people in my *real* life (i.e. work, most friends, etc.) and my family (other than my brother who has also been recently diagnosed) isn't very supportive and thinks "everyone is add" and I just need to "try harder" and "suck it up" :( So it would be nice to have people that are in similar situations that understand that it really IS a struggle to finish the dishes and the laundry and it's not a matter of being lazy or not trying hard enough - just like exercise and diet - I always mean well and make big plans....and often I do well for a while, but then I get bored because it isn't new and exciting anymore or because my impulsivity breaks through :(

Anyway, I also wanted to say that depression is related to ADD, so you should talk to your doctor (do you see a therapist or other doctor for the add/depresssion?) about it. For example, if you're feeling overwhelmed because you are trying to lose weight and keep the house clean and take care of kids and you feel like your pregnant body isn't the same, etc. etc. it is really discouraging for add'ers and can lead to feelings of worthlessness, shame, guilt, sadness about not accomplishing things or not feeling like you can, etc. and can lead to depression. So I would encourage you to treat not only the depression but also the add so that you don't have future episodes of depression. (i'm not expert, but I had a bout of depression in law school pre-diagnosis and have since realized that I think it was largely due to my add behaviors and not understanding that they were the cause of my issues. the doctor at the time refused to believe I had add even though I mentioned it because I had always done well in school and he probably thought I was just trying to score some stimulants (i mean it was a school doctor, so they probably see that all the time)).

ok, that was some serious add rambling so I'm gonna go now.... :wink:

But feel free to add me if you're a fellow adult ADHD'er! Would love some similar friends! :smile:
  • SageDrow
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 27 and i have reacently become a step mother. I dont have children of my own yet and dont know if i will be able to have. Im in the proses of losing 60lbs and have thus far lost 10lbs.
    I have ADD and depression. The ADD i've known about sins i was 19 as they thought i was bipolar as i cept on forgetting what i was doing or going to do. The depression has come a long road, but I've only been diagnosed as cronnic about 4 years ago. I live in in South Africa and im not really english so do excuse my spelling.

I had a great body until i started on anti depressants called Paxil. It made me gain weight and after long term use of a very high dose i realised and read up about them and have switched to other pills. Unfortunatly i hadn't learned about them sooner as the docter as toled me after many blood tests that my body isnt currently producing Progesterone properly and im hoping that if i lose the weight the paxil so graciously gave me and then maybe that will help restore a balance.

I would love to be friends with people that understand the struggels of ADD as ive found other people dont really relate as they dont get it.