This has nothing to do with weightloss

Options
This has nothing to do with weightloss. I think the anonymity about being in the websites makes you more open.

I have a house I rent I don’t make any money on this, the market is so bad so I can’t sell it. This last year has been more stressful I had to put in money 6months ago because the other tenants left it so bad. I had to evict them because they were late with rent each month that they lost their job. I did not charge late fees but I think I was too nice and the days of rent were getting longer and longer each month. You would think I would learn my lesson. Like I said I had those evicted, got new renters. These renters would fix the place of deposit. He lost his job the rent was late all the 3 months were there. I felt sorry for them and I waited until this last Monday turns out the check bounce. I stopped by today they were gone the house it terrible with so many roaches!!

I have cried and cried I feel so helpless and broke. I don’t want to lose the home and I don’t know what to do.

Replies

• indy2bird
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that! It is ok to cry it can be cathartic! I am renter and my mom raised me to take care of it like it was mine and leave it cleaner than when I moved in. One landlord I had did credit checks before he rented to people and he weeded out a lot of bad seeds that way. It really sucks to have two renters in a row like that. Try to carry on and possibly list it through a reality company.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that! It is ok to cry it can be cathartic! I am renter and my mom raised me to take care of it like it was mine and leave it cleaner than when I moved in. One landlord I had did credit checks before he rented to people and he weeded out a lot of bad seeds that way. It really sucks to have two renters in a row like that. Try to carry on and possibly list it through a reality company.

You are right I did not ven consider going through a realty company.
  • solthebull
    Options
    The same thing is happening in my neighborhood. I live on a one block long street and about 25% of the houses are empty. The house next door was converted into upstairs and downstairs apartments sometime back. Recently it was forclosed on. It last sold for just under $100,000.....the bank is selling for $28,000 and nobody is interested. The last owners had a hard time getting decent people in the downstairs apartment, upstairs was always rock solid tenants. The downstairs was always a revolving door of scamsters and deadbeats.

I have thought about buying it, but it seems like too much of a headache. You cannot be a nice landlord anymore....I am too soft for that game I think.

Here we have a population of college kids that come to town to work for the summer at local resorts and attractions. Lots of lardlords have moved on to catering to this crowd. They rent a house out to about 10 to 15 kids for the summer, charge each kid something around $150 a month, the leave the place vacant for the winter. We also have a bunch of indoor waterparks so they sometimes get year round tenants. These kids seem to be more reliable and trustworthy.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having them fill out an application and doing a credit check on each renter and verifying their employment.
    Set these limits for them also: mininum credit score 620 with no 30 day lates in last 12 months. Add up all their monthly payments + the rent and divide that by what they make and that should not be over 50%. So they should make double what their monthly payments are which leaves them 50% of their income for things like grocery, utilities, insurance, and other normal expenses.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The cheek of those people. We live in rented property and I would never dream of doing anything bad.

I would suggest you rent your house through a estate agents. They do all the checks and they should also come for a visit every so often. They would be the ones dealing with the tenants and that might take a bit of stress from you. I know we had to have reference about us from employer and another person.

Good luck with the next tenant, I hope they will be better then the last.
  • reginabroyles
    Options
    I have been there and it sucks! We ended up letting our place go due to it. if there is remax in your area talk to them about there lease to own program. My friend just bought thru them, they have them put a down payment down on the house and "buy" it kind of on contract, sometimes they have to wait for official closings due to credit issues or a past forclosure. If they lose the house or something you keep the downpayment and start over. I think all of the maintenance goes to them to.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ok, I see I repeated what was already written, but when I started typing, there was no replies yet./ You people are very fast typers. :smile:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I rent, thank god they didn't do credit checks or me and my kids would be homeless(not everyone with bad credit is a loser lol)..But I couldn't imagine not taking care of the place. My landlord will do inspections every 6 months of the place though, she gives me a month notices that on such and such date she will be entering to inspect the general housekeeping and condition. It was a thing in my lease that if at any inspection the place was not well kept I could and would be evicted. If you attempt this again, maybe you should something like that.

I'm way to nice to be a landlord, I would like you end up letting people go on their rent, b/c I have been in that situation of being late ect.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. You made me feel so much better. Thank you.