Hypothyroidism- Gluten, Wheat and Sugar

Options
Off late I have been coming across a lot of articles about how gluten, wheat and sugar are bad for weight loss especially when you are a Hypothyroid. I stay in India. Whole of my life I have been eating roti, chapathi (wheat bread), atleast 2 of our meals have them. I can understand about not eating refined flour (maida) and that was avoided at home also. I read that gluten is not good and most of the processed foods - bread (even the whole wheat ones). cakes, instant oats etc have it. Well, I agree processed foods have to be cut down anyways. But cutting down wheat completely is next to impossible for me as it is staple food for me and quite frustrating also. Could anyone suggest/advice if some work around can be done for this?

Coming to Sugar, refined sugar or white sugar has to be avoided or cut down. So can one include jaggery in the diet instead of sugar?

Also how do these impact thyroid functioning? I do take thyroid meds everyday.

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you have a gluten allergy celiac disease, like you feel bloated etc, then you might avoid it....else there is no point avoiding wheat....it is high in fibre..I have it regularly...its not related to hypothyroidism...
  • 123Pari
    123Pari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi

I would say that if its gluten you want to cut out then your roti & chapathi should be cut out too. To get the full effects of a no gluten diet, any exposure will put you back to square 1.

Is there anything that you could substitute? rice flour? Are chapathis not made from chickpea flour???-this would be gluten free if they are...

If you decide to do this, then you would have to be strict for at least 2 weeks, then maybe add something with gluten back in and see how you feel.

When it comes to simple sugar, your body really does not know the difference. Jaggery may spike your insulin less quick, but it will spike it to the same peak, will just take a bit longer. What would you use the jaggery for? cooking? baking? Maybe pure stevia is an option for you of these the sweet flavour you want to add to foods..

I dont know much about thyroid but this is a useful link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can make gluten-free roti with almond flour, oil and water (I make roti often). Rice flour doesn't puff up that well, it will give you a flatter more crumbly roti. White sugar is the same as refined sugar. You'll just have to learn to make food from scratch and spend lots of time cooking, making meals to last for the week if you want to cut things out of your diet.
  • yutabaga84
    Options
    Gluten can interfere with the production of thyroid hormones, although this is relatively new research. Many doctors won't address it. However, after extensive research and bloodwork and altogether experience, I'm an avid believer in the benefits of a gf diet for those with thyroid issues. My thyroid levels are back down to the high range of normal after about nine months of going gf (with no medication). It's still a work in progress, but - it's working.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is the newest fad. I'm not saying there aren't celiacs, but many people are using gluten avoidance as a diet method (I work with one!). Gluten and wheat aren't bad things! It's all about moderation and your calorie deficit.
  • maracuya23
    Options
    There can be a correlation between gluten issues and hypothyroidism, particularly Hashimoto's. Perhaps because both are autoimmune diseases.

I am definitely someone who does better without gluten. I did have additional gluten/ celiac's type issues (bloating, nutrient malabsorption, other digestive distress, skin issues) that resolved when I stopped eating gluten. I'm better able to absorb nutrients from my food, which in turn makes my thyroid and thyroid meds work a lot better.

If you're not sensitive to gluten, I don't know of any evidence that gluten itself interferes directly with the thyroid, and there probably isn't any benefit to avoiding it.

While you're still eating gluten, you can try getting tested for Celiac's antibodies, or visit a gastroenterologist for a biopsy if you have Celiac's symptoms. Neither of these tests is perfect, but can get you a specific diagnosis if they come back positive. If they don't, you can certainly try an elimination diet for gluten for a few weeks and see if it helps you personally. No harm in trying it for a few weeks, and then you'll know. Plenty of people find it makes no difference. If it doesn't for you, awesome, since it sounds like wheat is a big part of what you normally eat.
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have the problem of water retention and get bloated quite often (every 2 weeks) but never could relate it to wheat or Gluten. May be will observe how I feel after eating wheat and without wheat for few days. Not sure if that helps :( One thing is if I eat too spicy food or food from outside (basically junk), I get bloated next day easily.