What does it mean when muscles shake during a workout?

Options
I have water, coffee, and a boiled egg before every early morning workout. However, when I work out my muscles shake like crazy. Is this normal and healthy?

Replies

• edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    totally normal. Means you are working them hard. I am always a little shakey right after an intense workout. Just keep drinking water and stretch really well.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It means you're doing it right!
  • jnuchaeli
    jnuchaeli Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    that's how I judge my intensity. if my legs are shaking climbing the two steps to my front door I know I had a good workout. or when im raising my water bottle with shaky arms.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Means you are hitting that sweet spot. Congrats for not sucking.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    that's how I judge my intensity. if my legs are shaking climbing the two steps to my front door I know I had a good workout. or when im raising my water bottle with shaky arms.

Same. And when I can't hold my cell phone up to text because my arms/shoulders are so tired.& shaky.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It means they are about to pop out of your skin and splatter against the walls. It's really pretty cool when it happens!
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Love the Shakes. Smile K xo
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It means I'm about to drop a dumbell on my head :laugh:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's why I work out at night :D
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Depends on when they are shaking.

If they are shaking while lifting, means you are nearing your limit on what you can lift.
    If they are shaking/twitching after your workout, it means you pushed your self.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I want to say it kind of goes away.

I get shakey while lifting- but that's because it's heavy- not afterwards- I haven't been in that- oh I can't lift my arms or climb my front steps mode in a while.

I don't get really shakey after unless it was a high intensity boot camp - none stop type of thing. Otherwise I"m just tired LOL.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you maybe should consider adding carbs to your pre and post-workout meals. Shaking a lot can be a sign of low blood sugar. A boiled egg is a good source of protein and fat soluble vitamins but it doesn't contain carbs, nether does water and even if you have milk and sugar in your coffee, that's only a very small amount of carbohydrate.

So long as you keep your calorie goal the same, eating slightly more carbohydrate (and slightly less of something else to compensate and stay within your goal) won't affect the rate at which you lose fat. however, more carbs in your system while you work out = you can sustain a higher intensity of exercise for longer = you burn more calories = it may actually slightly increase your fat loss.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    Means you are hitting that sweet spot. Congrats for not sucking.

This made me snort cookie out my nose. Best "congrats" ever.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Earthquake?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I want to say it kind of goes away.

I get shakey while lifting- but that's because it's heavy- not afterwards- I haven't been in that- oh I can't lift my arms or climb my front steps mode in a while.

I don't get really shakey after unless it was a high intensity boot camp - none stop type of thing. Otherwise I"m just tired LOL.

agree with this. its an EXCEPTIONALLY great work out if i'm shakey. Not altogher rare tho i suppose, usually happens when i start somthing new and very different from what i've been doing, or if im cutting hard
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    agree with this. its an EXCEPTIONALLY great work out if i'm shakey. Not altogher rare tho i suppose, usually happens when i start somthing new and very different from what i've been doing, or if im cutting hard

oh yeah the cutting - carb drop out kind of shakey is a different thing all together. Definitely still going to have that with hard cuts and still pulling high numbers.
  • tgabmac
    tgabmac Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    muscle fatigue. Which is a good thing.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It means that you're awesome!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    It means you're doing it right!
    This is the exact words I was going to use
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have water, coffee, and a boiled egg before every early morning workout. However, when I work out my muscles shake like crazy. Is this normal and healthy?

I'm going to tentatively throw my vote in with "you're doing it right"

But give a strong nod towards "Maybe you should eat more before a workout."
    Try that. If you shake less and your performance goes up you have your answer and should continue to eat more in future.

I'm not saying eat more in total necessarily, but definitely eat more of what you eat before your workouts so you can get the most out of them. You are not doing yourself any favors if hunger is causing you to miss reps or slow down.

Personally I think I'd be shaking if I had only a boiled egg in the morning even if I didn't train. That's what, about 80 calories? That's not a meal. For anyone.