What foods are high in protein?

Options
Or perhaps I should ask what foods do you eat to get your protein in? What keeps you full? For some reason I find thats my one macro out of balance, protein.

Replies

• jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    eggs and lean meats are a great start :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I am trying to hit 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. It's really tough...and I haven't sorted it out yet. But, I'm close.

Protein powder and quest bars
    Greek yogurt
    Chicken
    Tilapia, or other kinds of white fish
    Peanut butter
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Almonds
    Shrimp
    Pork
    Beef
    Turkey

I end up making a lot of food on the weekends so that I always have chicken in the fridge, boiled eggs in the fridge and a meat stew or something in the freezer :-)
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    anything that used to have a pulse or comes from something that has a pulse.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    anything that used to have a pulse or comes from something that has a pulse.

Best explanation ever.

Plus certain legumes.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    light string cheese
    tuna! great salad topper for lots of protien and low carbs
    meat meat meat
    eggs - or egg whites if you want the protein less the fat
    nuts + nut butter- also have a good amount of fat and are calorie dense so I find them hard to fit in and not alwasy worth the protein they supply
    greek yogurt
    protein shakes
    also a fan of quest bars, more protein and less carbs than most brands
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Eat Good Look Good Protein Shake Chocolate Frosty -- 35g of protein.

Turkey
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Salmon
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Chicken
    Chicken thighs
    Lean cuts of pork meat
    Steak
    Lean ground beef
    whey protein powder
    Tuna
    Beans
    Cottage Cheese
    Low fat cheese
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cheese, greek yogurt, and protein bars are my main sources. I also try to have meat once a day. I also eat canned tuna and eggs once in awhile.

A lot of people like cottage cheese, too, so consider that if you enjoy the taste.
  • psychicmedium26
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know the question is an obvious one just really trying to figure out how to balance myself all around. Thanks!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Take it meal by meal.

Protein breakfasts - eggs, fish, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese.
    Lunches - ham or chicken salad, bean stew
    Dinner - steak, fish, chicken.
    Snacks - humous, nuts, cheese, roast soybeans or wasabi peas.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Or perhaps I should ask what foods do you eat to get your protein in? What keeps you full? For some reason I find thats my one macro out of balance, protein.

Tempeh and seitan. Both are really high in protein and there's no cholesterol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eggs
    bacon
    chicken
    steak
    fish
    greek yogurt
    cheese
    peanut butter has decent protein- but it's also high in fat (not a bad thing- just something to be aware of really)
    Milk- milk is win
    protein powder.
    All great sources.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've been working on upping my protein too recently. Here's my typical protein-centric choices:

Breakfast - eggs, cheese, milk
    Lunch - Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice with at least 15g
    Dinner - Protein smoothie (greek yogurt+protein powder+pb2+whatever else I want to go in), fish/meat serving, lentils and split peas in soup, quinoa mixed with vegetables

I rejiggered my macros, so I'm now at 30/30/40 (protein/fat/carbs), which means I'm aiming for at least 100g a day. When I was only paying attention to calories, I often fell below 50g.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet on my Google drive (blocked by work) that I can give you later that has grams of protein per calorie.

Personally I find nuts are more of a source of healthy fats than protein. Their calories per gram of protein compared to turkey, chicken or salmon not a good investment of my calorie budget. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy almonds and the others, but I eat them to enjoy them, not to make sure my protein count is high. Cheeses can fall into the same category, but if you stick to the non-fat cheeses, its a little better (not much, but better).

In the mean time, until I can get that spreadsheet link, http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
    Their top 10:
    Turkey breast
    Salmon
    Non-fat Mozzarella cheese
    Pork loin chops
    Lean Beef
    Tofu
    Soy beans
    Eggs (especially whites)
    Yogurt, milk and Soyjuice (or Soy Milk as others call it)
    Nuts and seeds
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I've been working on upping my protein too recently. Here's my typical protein-centric choices:

Breakfast - eggs, cheese, milk
    Lunch - Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice with at least 15g
    Dinner - Protein smoothie (greek yogurt+protein powder+pb2+whatever else I want to go in), fish/meat serving, lentils and split peas in soup, quinoa mixed with vegetables

I rejiggered my macros, so I'm now at 30/30/40 (protein/fat/carbs), which means I'm aiming for at least 100g a day. When I was only paying attention to calories, I often fell below 50g.

I had the same problem! I was more wried about calories than my macros so I was only getting about 80g of protein a day.

My goal is between 150-200g of protein a day, 200g or less of carbs, around 70g of fat, I also try to keep my sugar at 50g or less.

Breakfast: Eggs or protein shake or turkey sausage (I try to switch it up)
    Snack: Greek yogurt with berries and almonds
    Lunch: Chicken breast with steamed veggies
    Snack: Muscle Milk (I LOVE the chocolate best) 20g of protein and only 3g of sugar
    Dinner: Chicken breast or fish, steamed veggies

Workout days I have another snack in the evening which is usually a protein shake after my workout. On a side note, read the labels on all the processed meals, they can run pretty high in sodium.
  • fredpdx
    fredpdx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I'm stumped to add more of something to my diet I check out the USDA's "calorie check" app for iThingy's. Their website also works. I've used this to sort for foods high in protein, potassium and calcium (so that I can eat more real food and fewer "nutrition bars").

Hope that this helps.

P.S. I add organic pasteurized egg whites to a lot of things to up the protein, it's easy, and a fairly healthy option.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

You can view my diary.
    Plenty of ideas there. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    eggs
    bacon
    chicken
    steak
    fish
    greek yogurt
    cheese
    peanut butter has decent protein- but it's also high in fat (not a bad thing- just something to be aware of really)
    Milk- milk is win
    protein powder.
    All great sources.

This looks about like what I do.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Egg noodles. I included them in dinner last week and was impressed by the protein in them.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Lean meat does it for me. Eggs also.