so frustrated

Options
So I had a "cheat day" yesterday, my family and I went out to dinner as an early valentines day thing. No big deal, but we had food catered in at work today (I work in a call center, and we have this done pretty often and it always kills me!)
I can't seem to keep it together when they cater. It's really the worst. I feel like I've just had two days of binging and now I'm just DREADING getting on the scale tomorrow.

I don't think I can handle "cheat days" They just don't work for my habits and tendencies. I have to give up that notion if I am going to have any success.

Replies

• curvyin2014
    Options
    I understand! Seems like I'm doing good on diet and then one meal out at restaurant all my hard work is gone. But you know what it is part of life, skip weighing yourself this week & start again next week. You can also do extra 5-10min extra exercise throughout week & make it a "cheat meal" not a cheat day. You want to enjoy your life, not going out for Valentine's day is hard core. Also somebody told me once that she splurges on what she really wants, so if you craving steak but don't really crave the bake potato then get steamed veggies.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please don't fret about getting on the scales. I personally don't credit so called "cheat days" who are you trying to cheat? Possibly something like a 5/2 regime would help you best. I don't know the exact way this works but one eats normally for 5 days and go for a major calorie deficit on the other two. It is the overall deficit which creates weight loss, that is if you are fortunate and do not have hidden health issues nibbling away at you.

Much depends on what your overall aims are, vanity- compulsion to meet the demands of the fashion industry or a deep held desire to become healthy. Regaining your health by weight reduction should not be seen as a life sentence, its more a change of attitude. Make the changes you want to make and don't expect changes to happen overnight especially if you do not have that much to loose, this is a comparative statement because some people have so much more to contend with and you may be one.

You could put your fear of a "work feast" or "family celebration" turning into a "diet disaster" by planning, researching how to deal with it. Know what is on offer, work out your weaknesses, probably it is foods which are in the range 50/50 fat and sugar combinations, as shown by recent research. This is the combination food producers use to hook us weight sensitive people by. Remember sugar is not only the white stuff it is present in better forms in unprocessed foods as well and tends over all to be higher in fruit than most veg but this is not set in stone.

This is all about finding the right way, foods - protein, carbs and fats, and activity level combinations for yourself. You are an individual with many triggers in common with others. Read, share and be open to learning. Then if all this is not working widen the search to hormonal imbalances, food and chemical sensitivity. It might be at the edge of science, but never be told "it can't be your hormones", ask why, you can't tell by just looking at a person. Generalisations are dangerous even when it is a doctor making them. Find a second opinion, I wish I had.

All the best in finding what makes you tick.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Skip the weigh in. I heard drinking lots of water helps and continue your regular routine.
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    Thanks, folks. I calmed myself down (aka my husband calmed me) and I weighed in before I read all suggestions. Miraculously, I lost a pound. I'm pretty content with that, and I appreciate all the advice. I think I need to make some major changes, but I am doing it all slowly and working making this a lifestyle change rather than a diet.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    please dont have cheat days. the only one you are cheating is yourself. please do however eat what you want when you want as long as it fits. thats what i do. and i am happy and get to enjoy everything (in moderation)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you can't handle them then dont take them, some people can and some can't
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I know what you mean!! It took me a long time to realize that I can't handle cheat days or even cheat meals. If I get a taste for the things I love (like sweets, chips, fried foods), forget it, it's over and I can't stop craving it! I can diet much better if I stay away from trigger foods at all times. Sorry you have to deal with this - I know it's disheartening but just try again tomorrow and try to remember how badly cheat days make you feel afterwards! :)

Maybe try to leave your work (go outside, go to your car) on the days there will be catering and bring in a delicious healthy lunch that will still make you happy.