Kale

Options
Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. I just started cooking with it. I chopped it up and threw it in a pan of hot olive oil. It turned an even brighter, beautiful green and I added kosher salt. I let it cook for a couple minutes. It was amazing. Cripsp but melted in my mouth!

Replies

• lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. I'm a terrible cook so I haven't tried cooking with Kale, however I am OBSESSED with my juicer. I just kale every night.
  • oBuckethead
    oBuckethead Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are awesome too. Super easy and quick to make.
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe I got a bad batch, but I had Kale in a mixed salad one time and it was very bitter??
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Maybe some older leaves? Kale is truely one of the least bitter greens I've ever had!
    Maybe I got a bad batch, but I had Kale in a mixed salad one time and it was very bitter??
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Nope. Kale is bitter.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fresh kale (especially the kind that looks like dinosaur skin) and have always bought it in heads. Recently bought a bag, used it for a smoothie, and GAG. BITTER BITTER NASTY gaggy death. No thanks.

I've also heard it said that massaging the kale makes it taste better. NO idea if that's true, but I enjoy a massaged kale salad.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Kale is gross.. I've tried it many different ways.. no thank you
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It is SOOOOO delicious! My favorite way to cook is in 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil and let it cook for about 10-12 mins on low-medium heat, covered. I use it as a base to my dinners and lunches and top it with chicken and feta cheese!

ETA:: KALE IS BITTER! YES! IT'S TRUE! That's why you need to cook it. Include it sparingly in your salads and such. I agree it's too bitter for much more than that, uncooked!
  • gotfatincollege89
    gotfatincollege89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are good but I'm usually too lazy to make them. I prefer just throwing kale into a smoothie.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Kale is amazing and you'll get more of the nutrients if you don't cook it. If you don't like it raw try to just lightly saute it to keep all the good stuff :-)
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My wife makes a sweet potato/Kale stew that is amazing. It's also Paleo friendly for those that eat that diet. I don't, but if I could have the stew everyday, I might.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like it in green smoothies. I switch between baby spinach and kale on a bi-weekly basis. However, I've never tried the different forms of kale. I only seem to be able to find the curly kind.

I swear though I need to move, I can never find it organic. I eat it anyway, but I just wish I knew what was sprayed on it. I give it a good wash though.
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ETA:: KALE IS BITTER! YES! IT'S TRUE! That's why you need to cook it. Include it sparingly in your salads and such. I agree it's too bitter for much more than that, uncooked!

Ahhh! Maybe that's why it was so bitter. I got it on a whim from the deli in my local supermarket in a cold salad. They probably didnt cook it. I'm typically good with all kinds of vegetables so it was really out of character for me to not like it.
  • seanie1965
    seanie1965 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kale Pesto is great - toasted pine nuts , parmesan , extra virgin olive oil, kale - just blitz together
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Ahhh! Maybe that's why it was so bitter. I got it on a whim from the deli in my local supermarket in a cold salad. They probably didnt cook it. I'm typically good with all kinds of vegetables so it was really out of character for me to not like it.

Haha, yeah that's more than likely why! As someone else mentioned, cooking it too long can strip it of all it's awesome nutrients (true of any veggie). Just lightly sautee in coconut oil (or olive, I just like coconut) and you should retain most of the nutrients :)
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Kale grew very well in my 2 Tower Gardens on the patio, they thrive in the cooler spring and fall weather. We used them in soups, smoothies, and salads. Never had any bitterness issues but maybe it is because ours is picked fresh and consumed within hours. We have also made kale chips.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Maybe some older leaves? Kale is truely one of the least bitter greens I've ever had!

If you want to eat it raw, you need to massage it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/how-to-massage-kale_n_1601200.html
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Sounds like normal regular kale!!! Not a bad batch- it's just an awful food.

Don't eat it if you don't like it. You don't have to force feed yourself something just because everyone says it's healthy.
  • popshoveit
    Options
    I love it but usually just end up throwing it in smoothies. I have bags of it that I blanched and froze after my last big harvest.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    How is having a kale smoothie every night working for you? Its super nutritious. I tried the smoothie before for several days - just kale and 1 small apple and filtered water. I didn't add any sugar or sweeteners to the smoothie. It didn't taste too bad. But I gained weight even when I kept within my calorie limit. My sister-in-law had the same experience. Just wondering...