Question!?

Options
Sooo my calorie goal at the moment is around 1500 and I burn at least 500 calories when I workout so my question is... How much calories do you eat back after the gym? I would prefer not to eat any back on but I heard that's not the right way to go about it.

-Felicia

INSTAGRAM: EVERLASTING_HEALTH

Replies

• cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When it comes back to eating back calories I would say try to eat at least half. That way you will feel satisfied after a workout while not straving and wanting to eat everything in the house.
  • thylordclifford
    thylordclifford Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I absolutely try not to eat back what I burned. But heavy weight training requires protein. (And carbs if thin enough to benefit) So I supplement with lowest calories possible. Have been loosing weight and gaining muscle so this scheme has been working for me since last Christmas. Cjazz may be right in saying eat half of it back... if its low in calories and protein rich foods
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you're estimating your burns and what you're doing. For steady-state cardio with a heart rate monitor, I would say probably around 80%. For heavy lifting using the MFP estimator, 40-50%. For steady cardio with the MFP estimator, 50-60% would be my guess. These are mostly based on my own experiments with eating exercise calories and trending the scale, so there will be variation from person to person.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I felt like my Fitbit was giving me way too many calories back so I changed my goals to lose 2lbs a week. That puts me at 1200 calories in the morning but as the day goes on- it adds more and more and by the end of the day I get over 1500 and that is what I generally eat. Depends on how much I walked that day!

If it says I have ??? calories left- I want top eat them. This helps because I start at only 1200 and I can eat all the exercise calories back and hope to lose like 1lb a week.

That is my goal but I have been maintaining for too long. Time to get in some more challenges and track my calories a little better!
  • Still_Standing
    Options
    Thanks everyone this gave me a good idea what I need to do! :)