Irked by the Paleo-freak and venting

Options

Replies

• richardositosanchez
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and you should just delete this person. He sounds annoying. Or perhaps you could comment on each of his posts and find something negative to focus on (e.g. the fruit you bought at the market was grown with chemicals, therefore it can't be good for you, etc). Haha!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that your friend is wrong.

^This is accurate!

And, Facebook isn't Paleo. I'm pretty sure caveman didn't have it.
  • kjtown43
    Options
    My best friend is always on some different diet or exercise trend that she gets very excited about and keeps bringing up to me! I love her dearly and clearly that is something that she needs and because she cares about me, she is always excited to share WHENEVER the opportunity arises.

I sing a little tune in my head and keep on whatever my own path is. Her weight has been up and down as much as mine has, so clearly neither one of us has found THE only answer! It is whatever feels right for you at the time! As much as I love her, we are very different people in terms of our habits & choices; don't let it interfere with a friendship. Say think you and bring up a new subject!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MAYBE drinking all that sugar before bed isn't THE best choice if you are trying to diet "by the book" but since you watched your intake throughout the day and burned so many calories working out, I don't see anything wrong with it. So many worse choices could have been made! :)

PS I know lots of Paleo people from my gym and they CAN be annoying. I did strict Paleo for about 4 months and lost weight quickly but it wasn't something I could keep up with permanently. For myself, I needed the extra carbs for energy.

There wasn't that much sugar in my fresh juice- maybe around 20 grams tops? Is that too much? I had more juiced carrot than anything. What is the ideal amount of sugar a person should have?

No way you only had 20gs sugar, an apple depending on size will range from 8-18 grams alone, probably the same in the tangerine, plus a little in the carrots, I would say it would be more in the rage of 40-60 grams of sugar. Did you enter the ingredients in MFP to see the amount of sugar? Looking at your diary your juice shows no sugar, but of the 63 carbs only 13 are fiber which would leave the other 50 as sugar, or at least most of the 50 would be.

That said, if you are not diabetic the amount of sugar wouldn't matter that much anyway as long as the carbs didn't keep you from getting your minimum fat and protein required and still in a calorie deficit.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    This :)

I'm happy for him and his success, and I welcome him sharing his story. But his way worked for him-it doesn't mean it is the Universal solution for everyone. Not to mention it's about having a healthy diet, we should not always be going on a diet...if that makes sense.

did you tell him this? What works for some is not meant for all.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel like when you post online like that you are opening the door to comments and opinions, both wanted and unwanted.
    This is why I tend not to talk/discuss my food choices at all, let alone on social media (aside from this site because of the nature of it).
    Like others have mentioned, you could ask him not to comment, or you could delete him as a friend. Or just ignore it.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    MAYBE drinking all that sugar before bed isn't THE best choice if you are trying to diet "by the book" but since you watched your intake throughout the day and burned so many calories working out, I don't see anything wrong with it. So many worse choices could have been made! :)

PS I know lots of Paleo people from my gym and they CAN be annoying. I did strict Paleo for about 4 months and lost weight quickly but it wasn't something I could keep up with permanently. For myself, I needed the extra carbs for energy.

There wasn't that much sugar in my fresh juice- maybe around 20 grams tops? Is that too much? I had more juiced carrot than anything. What is the ideal amount of sugar a person should have?

Whether it's too much depends on what else you had, and whether it's undermining your goals. In racing season, my sugar intake is quite high. if the off season, it's closer to what your juice had.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ask him to stop posting rude comments. Different things work for different people. If paleo works for him, great! But honestly, when it comes to diet & fitness, what works best for you is what you are going to stick to over the long haul . That many restrictions would result in imminent failure *for me*. Moderation with no resctrictions is much better long term *for me*. If he continues, unfriend him.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Feedback?

Are you getting results?

If so, answer him with a graph or pics demonstrating said results.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

No way you only had 20gs sugar, an apple depending on size will range from 8-18 grams alone, probably the same in the tangerine, plus a little in the carrots, I would say it would be more in the rage of 40-60 grams of sugar. Did you enter the ingredients in MFP to see the amount of sugar? That said, if you are not diabetic the amount of sugar wouldn't matter that much anyway as long as the carbs didn't keep you from getting your minimum fat and protein required and still in a calorie deficit.

I juiced my apples and carrots though, so wouldn't the amount of sugar be less since I am not consuming the whole apple?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

No way you only had 20gs sugar, an apple depending on size will range from 8-18 grams alone, probably the same in the tangerine, plus a little in the carrots, I would say it would be more in the rage of 40-60 grams of sugar. Did you enter the ingredients in MFP to see the amount of sugar? That said, if you are not diabetic the amount of sugar wouldn't matter that much anyway as long as the carbs didn't keep you from getting your minimum fat and protein required and still in a calorie deficit.

I juiced my apples and carrots though, so wouldn't the amount of sugar be less since I am not consuming the whole apple?

No, that wouldn't reduce the sugar, what you would be reducing is the fiber. If your entry is correct 63 carbs, 13 fiber, most of the remaining 50 cabs would be sugar.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I started only posting workout/food related posts on Instagram and not on Facebook - because I always felt like people on facebook are judgmental and/or think you're trying to "show-off" (when I am NOT, but this has become part of my life, that is why I share it).

Anyways, just a suggestion.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My very best friend found paleo about 6 months ago, though, to be honest she was not far from it anyway. She was lactose intolerant and to be honest I think she might have had a slight glucose intolerance as well because she would never feel well after eating bread and whatnot. So for her, I think it actually did a lot of good. However, I don't feel bad after I eat dairy or grains. She bought me like 3 books on paleo and while I read them and found them interesting it is one of those things where I took it with a grain of salt because there is just as much compelling evidence that grains and oats are good for you.

I swear she has a heart attack though every-time she comes over and I'm having my favorite breakfast, shredded wheat and banana's in cow milk.

I honestly find it cute when she talks about it to be honest, because she lacks compassion and oftentimes just goes through the motions of day to day life. It is nice to see her so passionate about something, whether it be a diet or whatever. I find it heartwarming...annoying...but heartwarming. I just smile when I hear her talk about it and continue to munch on my favorite food in the world...bread. :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

Or tell him to worry about himself, you've got this covered.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    To be fair, you're posting it on facebook which is going to invite comments, not all of which you will agree with. In some ways, a lot of people view posts on facebook as something they should look to comment on, and if he thinks (right or wrong) that what you're doing isn't a good idea, it's not surprising that his comment reflects this. If you don't want comments, I wouldn't post it on facebook. :wink:
  • Geminieve24
    Options
    Feedback?

Are you getting results?

If so, answer him with a graph or pics demonstrating said results.

I am not really looking at juicing for results. I find juicing veggies and apples to have its benefits. For years and years I have fad-dieted, seeing temporary results. I have found the best solution is burning more calories than I am consuming. I've started a crazy intense boot camp program that I now do in the evenings. I think in the end it's all about changing the way I see food and my relationship with it. So if I want vegan for dinner I will have vegan for dinner. If I want no carbs for breakfast I will have no carbs for breakfast. I just need to watch my quantities and ensure I'm burning more calories right now than what I am taking in. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Regarding your friend, you have a couple of options. You can either privately message him and let him know that it's obvious your food choices would not be his but they work for you and that you'd appreciate his keeping his opinions to himself and you'll do the same for his choices. Or, you can create an album on Facebook specifically for your food pictures and set viewing restrictions on that album so that he can't see it. Or you can unfriend him.

Personally, anyone who behaved like he is behaving towards you would be unfriended by me but I know that sometimes we need to leave people as "friends" to keep the peace, especially if they are family or friends of family. In those cases I have found that Facebook's privacy settings are very helpful.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you drink your juice..all that matters is that you have a deficit. I eat fruit and cottage cheese often for dessert. Evil carbs and simple sugars and a healthy dose of protein 20 minutes before bed.. i'll probably never lose weight.. *looks down* oh wait...

Great work! :) And why do fruits get such a bad wrap? It's fruit.Packed with vital nutrients and minerals for our body. It seems like some people seem to categorize apples, oranges and blueberries with candy bars, ice cream and sour patches...

It's the whole sugar issue. If you believe you should only get X amount, then most fruit will be on your hit list along with the candy, etc.

But really, sometimes the candy bar or ice cream is better for you than the fruit. If I need a little more protein, a PayDay is a better choice than any fruit. If I need vitamin C, an orange is obviously better. For calcium and some protein, ice cream. And so on. And if I've got everything I really need for the day, then the best choice is the one that leaves you feeling satisfied mentally and physically, whatever that happens to be.
  • Geminieve24
    Options
    I kind of feel like when you post online like that you are opening the door to comments and opinions, both wanted and unwanted.
    This is why I tend not to talk/discuss my food choices at all, let alone on social media (aside from this site because of the nature of it).
    Like others have mentioned, you could ask him not to comment, or you could delete him as a friend. Or just ignore it.

He is the only person who has something negative to say. I post the quick comments on Facebook because many of my friends enjoy it and provide fun comments back.

I will let him know his constant let downs are a tad annoying. I honestly think he doesn't realize it.

I'm venting about on here, I'm enjoying the feedback from everyone. Plus, I'm bored at work. :)