Family & Friends who are negative...

Options
I know we all have these types in our lives.

Last night I was told I was being "ridiculous" for measuring out the mac & cheese I was eating.

I knew it was about ~380 calories for 1/2 cup after punching in all the info into MFP. Even though the recipe online said it was 298 calories we used different brands of pasta so it was a little bit more calorie dense.

It doesn't bother me at all because they may think it seems stupid but I'm the one who's still tracking calories & training to lose weight while everyone else seems to be making up reasons as to why they're not.

I just think it's entertaining at how people just think they know what a 'normal' or decent serving is.

On the flip side I also think it's funny whey I eat ice cream or some other "junk" food on occasion to fill up macro numbers (within 10-15%) and I get told I'm going to not lose weight.

Heh.

Replies

• Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Tell them to mind their own business or you'll eat them too.:laugh: Thankfully I don't have those kinds of people in my life. Losing weight and staying on track is enough to handle let alone the negativity of "family and friends"

they wanna see you do good, but never better than them. remember that:smile:
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Actually serving sizes SHOCKED me when I first started. I'd think I'd be having a serving, and I'd actually be eating 2.5-3. My family doesn't get my dedication, but that's okay. I've learned that I CAN'T eyeball. When I do start a slow backslide and start to gain. Measuring isn't hard with a food scale and the proper tools. Keep up the great work!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Offer to weigh their portions out too, subtle jabs are fun. :devil:

Rigger
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My family thinks it's crazy too. My mother in law is also trying to lose weight... she's on this diet that cuts out a bunch of foods, but she can eat as much as she wants. And she doesn't even stick to it really. She's over 200lbs and hasn't lost any weight yet over the past month, but I've lost some, so she can eat it! :P

I don't care that I look crazy breaking out the scale or the measuring cups... it's working and I'm really excited about it. Seeing the weight go down is motivation enough to keep going. Just small choices in what I eat & how much has made a world of difference. Everyone should just stay strong. Those downers will look like fools once you're in good shape!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work OP!! I get comments all the time about the "diet" I am on. People refuse to accept that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change I've made and it is working for me. The worst are the people who are jealous and show it by making unsolicited comments....and don't know what they are talking about. :)
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work OP and absolutely ignore them. I'm lucky in that I have very supportive friends and family. With a diabetic mother and a history of assisted health problems in my family I thankfully don't have this problem. We've always measured food and no one questions me when I do it.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You get the last laugh when the results show. :bigsmile:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have negative family members too, but to be honest I ignore them.
    I get comments about my past failings to diet so why would this time be different and how I am apparently not eating enough just because I don't want a piece of cake.
    I get cake, biscuits, crisps, sweets shoved under my nose at every opportunity.

The people who matter to me are very supportive, so I can deal with anyone else.
  • n3wbeginnings
    n3wbeginnings Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My attitude towards this is ... You keep your eyes on your plate and please just let me worry about mine ... I am not requesting anyone do what I do so please, please just let me do ME!!!
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Ah, thank you all so much :)

This is great motivation and some new jabs to throw at them next time I get caught up getting flack for measuring my food haha!
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I usually have to hold back as my first instinct is to stab them with a fork. :devil:

But yes, I get eye rolls, smart comments and general nonsense. All that white noise can be extremely frustrating. Stay positive and keep up the awesome work.

Cheers to your success!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    hahaha! - " Mind their own business or you'll eat them too!" - hahaha! I love that response! I think I'll use that line ...