Abs after Pregnancy

Options
Hi Ladies!

I am the mother of an almost 3 year old and I've lost 43 pounds since May of last year. I've been working hard and it seems like everything is tightening up but those lower ab muscles.

My question to you is when you did you start to see a noticeable difference in that area? I know you can't spot reduce but how close to your goal did you start to see that lower stomach fat start to disappear?

I'm 5'8 and hope to be 140-145 pounds. I'm sitting at 153 right now. My upper abs are firming up quickly but south of that looks pretty much the same as it did a few months ago.

Thanks!

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Core exercises! The upper and lower parts of your core are different entities and are worked by different exercises. I'm working on my physique now that my daughter is 15 months old but after my son was born (he's now 5) it only took me about a year to lose the weight and then a few months to tone. What type of exercise are you doing?
  • kdt8810
    kdt8810 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yup. That lower ab area is difficult. Yes, core exercises help - but you could have rock solid abs there - but if you have a layer of fat covering them - they'll still seem squishy. Congrats on your weight loss!! That's awesome. Keep working on lowering your body fat % - it will work eventually. When you will see your lower abs is different for everyone. Genetically, I'm predisposed to carry my extra weight in my thighs, my stomach was the first thing to bounce back after pregnancy - but my legs are bigger than they've ever been. But I just keep on plugging away - knowing that eventually my body will have to use that stored fat for fuel because there isn't anymore left on the rest of me. :wink:

You can do it. Being patient is the hardest part.
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    I've been doing all sorts of exercises these past few months but I really started to concentrate on the ab area around the first of the year. I've been doing core exercises for lower and upper abs and it seems to be working quickly on the upper and not so much the lower. I know that area is stubborn but I wanted to see if it was just fat that was going to be worked off with the last few pounds.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've been doing all sorts of exercises these past few months but I really started to concentrate on the ab area around the first of the year. I've been doing core exercises for lower and upper abs and it seems to be working quickly on the upper and not so much the lower. I know that area is stubborn but I wanted to see if it was just fat that was going to be worked off with the last few pounds.

It comes down to lowered BF% if indeed that is fat. You can do all the core exercises that you want, but if your body has fat in other places it wants to burn first, it will. This is normally the area that we all lose fat from last It really comes down to a mild caloric deficit + Work (cardio mixed with strength/compound training) + patience. It really does take time to lost that last bit. You can get there with just the deficit and patience, but you'd probably be happier with the results if you add in the strength/cardio training as well. You'll notice that many on here with low BF% and nice looking midsections do very little to no isolated core/ab movements.

Hope that is helpful. :smile:
  • samanthahix12
    Options

It comes down to lowered BF% if indeed that is fat. You can do all the core exercises that you want, but if your body has fat in other places it wants to burn first, it will. This is normally the area that we all lose fat from last It really comes down to a mild caloric deficit + Work (cardio mixed with strength/compound training) + patience. It really does take time to lost that last bit. You can get there with just the deficit and patience, but you'd probably be happier with the results if you add in the strength/cardio training as well. You'll notice that many on here with low BF% and nice looking midsections do very little to no isolated core/ab movements.

It is! I appreciate you being kind about it. I guess I'm just getting frustrated and losing patience but I know that getting fit is an ongoing process so I'll just have to deal and keep on rolling! :flowerforyou:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

It is! I appreciate you being kind about it. I guess I'm just getting frustrated and losing patience but I know that getting fit is an ongoing process so I'll just have to deal and keep on rolling! :flowerforyou:

Most definitely.... I just noticed how you're getting close to your goal weight as well, so it's really important now to not get frustrated as the results don't come as fast or as easy as they do in the beginning.