Falling off the Wagon!

Options
UG! I keep falling off the wagon. I was on such a roll and then My mom had a massive stroke. I was sidelined for a few months while she was in rehab. Now she is home and I am a caregiver. I started off the New Year with a bang!............three weeks did great, lost some of the weight I had gained back, ..........and then I havent been to the gym for 2 weeks!! Any words of wisdom? So frustrated ! There is always something going on that keeps me from the gym!

Replies

• baptistforlife
    Options
    can you do workouts at home?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Fake it til you make it. Get back into your routine until it feels right.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses even if you can squeeze 20 minutes in at the GYM. I understand being a caregiver can be exhausting. But, to prevent caregiver burnout you need to take care of yourself. Best way to do that is incorporate some exercise into your daily routine.
  • desimia1
    Options
    Thats a great Idea I am going to start doing workouts at home, even a good walk on the days I cant make it !!
  • desimia1
    Options
    Nope, You are absolutely right. If I am not well, I am no good to anyone else. Gotta squeeze it in !
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As I posted on a thread earlier, I come up with 1000 valid excuses for not doing WHAT I need to do...but at the end of the day, it's still an excuse. When you wreck your wagon (like I do WEEKLY) dust yourself off and get right back at it. Start with your NEXT meal...not tomorrow. :flowerforyou:
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thats a great Idea I am going to start doing workouts at home, even a good walk on the days I cant make it !!

There's a TON of workouts on YOUTUBE for free. I like Leslie Sansone....she has both easy & hard workouts. I've also just started getting into Zumba and I'm loving it!
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just put my gym stuff on and somehow it motivates me to go work out, or go for a walk. I'm ready - so may as well do something....it seems a little silly, but even if it gets you out the door or in front of the tube for video workouts....
  • desimia1
    Options
    Weekly! Thats me too. When I crash, I hit hard. and then the big picture seems so huge......Its ridiculous and you are right, all excuses ! I will check out Youtube, the kids will enjoy that too !
  • desimia1
    Options
    Thank you for that! I know if i get dressed for it....it will happen. Its getting there. I find too that on the days that are the worst, I have the best workout.... so crazy , my problem is too when I am on track, I do so good and When I am off track ........Its so bad !
  • pjk2205
    pjk2205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    try add workouts.
    really simple and helps motivate you. when the adverts come on I do abs, squats or thighs till they finish. can also run up and down the stairs to get your heart rate up.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    All good advice above. Also remember diet is key for weight loss - if you don't manage to work out, at least stick to your calorie goals. And don't beat yourself up if you only work out 3 times a week instead of 5, something is ALWAYS better than nothing! The mindset of "Oh, my diet's already messed up for today so I'll eat whatever I want" or "I didn't make it to the gym so I might as well give up" never got anyone anywhere, so make sure you don't fall into that trap.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    you don't have to go to the gym...the gym isn't for everyone and I only personally go for the weight room as I cannot fit a power rack and olympic platform in my house...I also use the pool in the summer...but other than that I pretty much like riding my bike outside and occasionally going for a run or something...I also just go for a lot of walks.

Regardless, you eventually have to stop viewing exercise as this extra thing in your life...this extra chore. Eventually it just has to become a part of what you do and as routine as anything else you do in your daily.

Also, your weight control (loss, maintain, gain) is largely about your energy consumption, not your exercise. You can still lose weight without exercise so long as energy consumption is at appropriate levels...I don't recommend that because exercise is extremely beneficial to your overall health and well being...but it is not essential to weight control.
  • ColieMarieL
    ColieMarieL Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Set backs, slip ups, screw ups, caved focus, business or distractions do NOT mean failure! Tomorrow is a new day, a new start, you can do that! I also get discouraged and busy - I set up small goals for myself so it's more manageable and I'm more motivated to concur little goals than one big goal. Example: this month's goal is to work out at least 15 times month. Ideally I'd love to lose 15 lbs but that is such a big, daunting task. With the monthly goal, I've already lost 5 lbs! Slowly but surely, you'll get it :)
  • sicotton1985
    Options
    I have a friend who is a trainer and she always says she tells her clients to just comit to showing up at the gym on the days they are supposed to workout - if all they want to do is sit on a bench in the front room for 5 minutes thats okay at least they showed up because at least you're helping to build the habit of going to gym, and 9 times out of 10 if you show up at the gym your going to workout. Thats what I always tell myself now and it works - somehow just knowing that I'm not commiting to the whole thing just by showing up at the gym helps me, and once I'm there I feel a lot more movtivated.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Also, your weight control (loss, maintain, gain) is largely about your energy consumption, not your exercise. You can still lose weight without exerise so long as energy consumption is at appropriate levels...I don't recommend that because exercise is extremely beneficial to your overall health and well being...but it is not essential to weight control.

So very true. It doesn't take any extra time to maintain a calorie deficit. Everyone can do it, regardless of what life throws your way.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Your mom's stroke should be your wake up call!! My mother has had health problems that SHE could've prevented and failed to do and I refuse to go through all the things she is now going through!! Look at all the problems your mom's having and ask yourself if YOU want to end up like that because WE are a carbon copy of our parents genes! My mom takes at least 10 pills a day, is "borderline" diabetic, has high cholesterol, has high blood pressure, osteoporosis, won't exercise and has NUMEROUS surgeries! Ironic we have the same doctor and my doctor is floored that I am not in the same situation as my mom. LOL I keep trudging and you will eventually too if you change your mindset from "I've been busy" to "I am gonna do this for me!!"
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one. The wheels on my wagon have fallen off so many times, I now keep a spanner set handy =)
    Just start again from now, keep going. You can do this.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You cannot take care of your mother unless you take care of yourself first. Find the time. Hell, make the time!
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about the ultimate goal. Take pride in every pound lost and every good decision. Find your ultimate goal activity or reason for changing yourself. Concentrate on it. Whether it is a vacation, a race, an activity or just feeling better. Find you reason and remember it every time you want to slip up. I was very discouraged from thinking about my 180 lb ultimate goal weight and starting to think about every small victory helped.