Feeling Full and Guilty

Options
Does anyone else feel guilty anytime they feel full? I have stopped taking second portions because I know I'll feel full with just one plate if I give myself a few minutes. Tonight I ate one bowl of beef stew that my boyfriend made, which was about 450 calories, and I stopped there because I knew it was enough food. 20 minutes later I felt super full and started feeling guilty about all that food I ate. When I stop to think about it I don't think I went overboard, but feeling this full makes me think I might have overindulged - should I eat even less next time and see how I feel? Does anyone else go through this every time they feel full?

Replies

• nubreeze33
    Options
    I can't say I feel the same. I actually only would have a problem feeling full if I was eating a snack, or something I can't really be having in excess like cookies, desserts, or something like that. If i'm eating a meal I don't feel bad at all. especially if i'm drinking water with it.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As long as you know the calorie count was within your daily allowance I wouldn't worry about it. Beef stew is meant to be a filling meal. I feel bad if I have seconds then feel full or if I know I overloaded my plate. I try to eat enough to be not hungry and if I judged my portion right I get hungry right before it's time to eat again.
  • EmpressB
    EmpressB Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think I was brainwashed in the past to believe that a "diet" meant you had to feel starved. Now I know that you can eat healthy, eat normally, feel full and still lose weight.

I have proven that to myself after Thanksgiving and all this week as I had an engagement party and another dinner tonight that did include lots of food. I ate way less than I normally would, but I still ate and felt full and still have managed to actually lose 2 more lbs! I was pleasantly shocked.

I feel full right now and I just logged my calories and realized that WOW, I am still under (I also had exercise calories) and I feel full. So no, I don't feel guilty, esp when I exercise and log and see for myself that I am within my range. I only feel guilty if I have been eating and not logging and have no idea how many calories I've eaten.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above postings, as long as you're staying in your limits i wouldnt worry about it, it could be that your body is getting used to this new way of eating so you get full sooner but i wouldnt feel guilty
  • daniellesite
    daniellesite Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well said. :smile:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    squint_smile.gif Have you been reading my mind? I felt the same way tonight. I had meatloaf and some vegetables and felt full. Even though I was way under my calories, I felt guilty for feeling that way. Part of it may have been because I workout in the morning and not tonight (which I planned a 2nd workout that I bailed on). Later I had to eat more to get my calories, but i know how you felt.
  • SparkleKittie
    Options
    I like to just make sure that I eat reasonable portions. I don't go for seconds, ever. I just put as much as I see fit on my plate. Sometimes I don't finish. I also eat slowly. It took a while, but my stomach shrank, making me fuller faster.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yeah absolutely, I know how you feel. Many nights, I'll have planned dinner all out, and I know that it fits into my diary, but when I eat the whole plate (even though everything has been portion-controlled and measured) I feel like I ate too much and I shouldn't have done it, even when I have calories left for the day! Not a good feeling. =\ Unfortunately, I don't really know what else to do other than to just keep reminding yourself that it really is ok and you didn't overeat and not to worry about it.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was never one to snack but I got fat just by eating too much. I did (and do) regret it if I ate so much that I had to try finding a good position in which to breathe but it had nothing to do with the calories! :laugh: Haven't done that since I started counting and now, one plate is enough to make me feel full.

I think, you should count it as a victory if you feel full after a 450 Kcal plate! It means that your body has adapted to eating that amount. Before, that used to only make me hungrier!