When you want to go....you cant

Options
I have been stressing myself out on my BM's lately.

I take in alot of protein and supplement fiber with powders and drink 120 oz of water a day. But i am lucky if i can get 1 BM in a day.

I hear alot of people say 1 a day is ok and others who say it isnt.

Need help to push me through this problem:)

CK

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    fiber, that will get you going, like a fiber one bar or two, or coffe. I WISH I had 1 a day. I think I have like 5 or 6
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    not to be like TMI or anything but I'm lucky if I can get 1 every 2-3 days. I've always been that way though. I'll have some days where I go 3 different times due to not feeling like I've completely "emptied"...
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic: Normal frequency of bowel movements in healthy adults can range from three bowel movements a day to three a week.

This is from a quiz on their online health letter t http://healthletter.mayoclinic.com/quiz/quizAnswer.cfm
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Totally normal! Unless you feel unwell or that you need to go and can't it isn't an issue.
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try some drinking some coffee.

Pineapple and coconut can also help move things along as they are kinda like natural laxatives.

Sometimes TOO much fibre can have an adverse affect as well, make sure you're not consuming too much. Especially if you increase a lot in a short amount of time.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Honestly, protein makes me poop, so not a problem. And 1 a day is fine. TMI, but 1 a day here, regular as clockwork.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    More fruits and veggies!!

Eat some prunes and you'll be moving along in no time ;)
  • scrach
    scrach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but am ok if I stick to warm water and lemon in the morning on an empty tum, include 10-15g oat bran with breakfast (chuck it on porridge or Greek yogurt), plenty of water and then probiotics in the evening before bed. Adding some soaked linseeds, Aloe Vera (juice or fresh flesh), fermented veg like sauerkraut also helps. Hope you get some relief!
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Too much protein and too much fibre can cause constipation. Too much insoluble fibre can make stool bulky and difficult to pass. Eating more cooked vegetables and decreasing (not eliminating) raw vegetables can help.

Too little oil and too little water can also cause issues. Too little exercise of the type that stimulates the bowels can also contribute. Some people also have lazy bowels and sun salutations (yoga) can be helpful.

EDIT: Although oatmeal helps some people, it has a constipating effect on others. Milk has this issue too.

EDIT2: Mineral oil (pharmaceutical grade, of course) is an effective laxative but clear it with your physician and don't get in the habit of using this solution because it can encourage your bowels to be lazy.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I find this hard to believe because I KNOW you're full of *kitten*!!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bar and metamucil, the nasty metamucil with no flavors. if you dont do the fiber one bar since its 90 calories and has sugar, that metamucil will do the trick. it doesn't make you go, it allows you go if its a part of your diet. not supposed to be a habit forming fiber, you can take it every day far as I know, I've been taking it for 30 years, and I do stop taking sometimes for months and eat the required fiber I need. but when I dont wanna eat fiber I rely on my meta. dont get the kind that you mix with your food, its not as good as the bland tasting powder.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A doctor told me once that the only time you need to be concerned is when the frequency starts to change drastically. So if you all of a sudden go a week without, or 19 times in a day, you can worry.
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This kind of hurts me because I see it all the time. People with the fiber supplements. It may not be the case with you, but with me because I'm vegan and eat mostly raw vegetables/fruit I often get TOO MUCH fiber... yes it's possible. And it is a miserable feeling. This can also be the case with having too much protein, in my experience.

What I do is make sure I am balancing all the fiber/protein I eat with insane amounts of water (to move the soluble fiber) and plenty of healthy fats (to move the insoluble fiber). This is really the way it's meant to be, I don't think we're supposed to eat pure fiber or pure protein isolate. I mean you can supplement with those things if it makes your life easier but don't go crazy lol :)

And sometimes if I'm desperate before bed I take Magnesium and in the morning it's a sure thing.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I poop up to 3 times a day. It's irregular for me to go a day without pooping.

Everyone is different. I wouldn't worry unless it's been more than 3 days.

Fiber, water, and a healthy amount of fat should get you moving.
  • WanderingGypsySoul
    Options
    Ever since I switched my diet to a high protein/low carb/low fat diet, I'm lucky if I get a bowel movement in every 2-3 days. I used to go 2-3 times a day. My PT said it's quite normal and if you are concerned, take metamucil or another fiber supplement. I drink coffee and tea like it's going out of style, so you'd think i'd be going to the bathroom every 15 minutes? NOPE and it's annoying. Some days I feel beautiful and skinny. Other days I feel fat, bloated and ugly. The way I'm coping with it is that, I know I'm not "backed up" to the point where I need to be hospitalized. I listen to my body when it needs to go (no matter where I am; at work, at home, at a restaurant). The number one tool to do is listen to the body. Occasionally, I will take a few spoonfuls of metamucil just to meet my fiber intake for the day. I've heard others ingesting 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil as if it was medication. It acts like lubrication for your digestive system. Also, how much fiber are you consuming on a regular basis? I like to take in anywhere from 35 - 45g of fiber a day. I try to get it from my foods - I usually hit my min. and that's where the metamucil kicks in.

I hope this little rant helps you.....and good luck :)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This is typical for diets high in protein. Some options are to take a fiber supplement, ensure that the carbohydrates you are eating are providing a significant amount of fiber (which generally means they are complex carbohydrates), and increase fruit and vegetable consumption.

'Normal' is different for everyone, in fact the range is something like three times a day to once every five days. Once a day is well within that normal range but if it is a significant change for you and/or is combined with bloating or feeling unwell then look at some ways to get more fiber in.

Eta: and water!!
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with this issue also, I think especially since I changed my diet and quit smoking all at once. I get a decent amount of fiber through fruits/vegetables, and I'm also a coffee drinker, but no luck. I started a fiber supplement a few days back and still no luck. It's miserable!
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with this issue also, I think especially since I changed my diet and quit smoking all at once. I get a decent amount of fiber through fruits/vegetables, and I'm also a coffee drinker, but no luck. I started a fiber supplement a few days back and still no luck. It's miserable!

My doc's and dietician told me that water should solve the problem as long as the fiber to water ratio is done properly (think of the fiber as concret mix....not enough water and plugville!)

I have had some success lately with using this Chili Garlic Paste that a Hmong coworker of mine made homemade for me. Maybe i need to just load up more of that daily to help "fire" one out!
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A black coffee in the morning will help get things moving, but normal BM's vary from person to person. Don't worry about it too much as long as it's not painful or too loose.