*PLEASE HELP* Weight gain during Middle of Cycle?

Options
Girls

I could actually cry

I'm getting married next year, so on 6 Jan, I started the 5:2 diet. I was 12.2 when i started. I'd managed to get to 5:5 the week before last (31 Jan) but last Friday when I weighed myself (7th Feb) I'm up to 11.9 - I have put on 4 lbs?

I
am
devastated
:grumble:

I know that a lot of folk have a bad week, but how can I be this hungry and be putting ON weight?! - I'm feeling so disheartened that I've not really stuck to the diet this week which I know isn't good for me in the long run.

I've been tryiing to work out how I could have put on this much weight. I've been reading online that when you're 'ovulating' (Middle of your cycle) you can put on a bit of weight which would explain my situation.
My question for you lovely ladies is has this ever happened to you? and how long does it stick around for?

Thank you in advance. xx

Replies

• keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yes, don't weigh yourself until it's over
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    i gain 5 pounds right before and it stays till about the end then magically goes away ;)
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My cycle heavily influences my scale to the point where I track my caloric intake and weightloss based on it and not a linear long term tracking or calendar cycle. There are so many factors that you do not address in your question:

Do you weigh your food
    What is your daily goal, or goal per eating period
    Exercise
    Have you just started a new workout routine
    What are you eating and does any of it cause you to retain water

There are people who get great results from intermittant fasting, however that doesn't mean that its the best diet type for your lifestyle or body. How long have you been tracking and do you have the data to look at it based on your cycle?

Weightloss is not linear. There will be ups and downs. Very few see steady consistent results over the long term.
  • bigtummymommy
    Options
    I seem to put on around 3 pounds before my period, then it disappears when my period is over. Weird, isn't it? I suppose our bodies are preparing for a possible pregnancy or something??
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. so many things can effect your weight - water retention due to sodium intake, DOMS, inflammation, illness or hormones. Honestly, if you have been weighing and tracking your calories accurately and you know that you are under your calorie goal then the 4lb gain is probably just water. keep going, keep tracking, drink some water and weigh in again in a couple of days
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My period weight gain is when I'm ovulating (1-2 weeks before I start bleeding). It's usually 2-3# and goes away 3 weeks later. My month goes about like this:

1 week: lose a little
    2 week: gain 3#
    3 week: gain 1#
    4 week: lose to 1 week weight or 2#, whichever is most annoying

3 steps forward, 2 steps back.