Help with a treadmill/walking plan

Options
Hi guys!

I am currently 24 years old, female, 5"3 and 212lbs.

Joined the gym a month ago and have lost 8 pounds in total up to now.

I have just been using the treadmill at the gym. My plan is usually 5 minutes slow walking warm up, followed by an hours brisk walking at 3.0/3.5mph. This usually burns 300 calories (so the treadmill says!).

At the moment, I can't run because my boobs are HUGE! and even the best sports bra doesn't stop my chest hurting like mad.

I feel ready to push myself a bit harder now....

Are there any tips you suggest?

I don't know anything about how to work along with your heart rate or interval training etc so any tips would be much appreciated.

:)

Replies

• random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know some folks have luck wearing two bras, whether that be two sports bras or a sports bra plus a regular bra with underwire.

Regarding heart rate, there's a target range based on age. There's often a little graphic on treadmills, or you can check out the following link:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp

This is just a general guide. Try getting to the lower end or so of the range and see how you feel. If you feel faint, ease up a little. If you can push harder, go faster and/or increase the incline.

Look into heart rate monitors. I have a Polar FT4 (but there are many others). I love it. Other people don't care for them at all. See what you think.

As for intervals, I do mix up speed/incline mostly to work on different aspects of my health. Some days I want to go faster. Other days I want to work on my weak glutes.

Not much help, but that's what I have.
  • marykate1984
    marykate1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    you can still walk but increase the ramp incline will make it more challenging and burn more calories! Good Luck!!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I increase the incline on the treadmill since I can't run. It's been working for me.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    BLDGBLOG-kit-2.0.jpg
  • Kimmers411
    Kimmers411 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase the incline... that will make a huge difference. I have been doing an hour at a 2-2.5 incline walking on average 3.3mph (total distance just over 5K, or 3.1 miles) and my treadmill reads 450-500 calories for the workout.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Increase the incline. When I walk on the treadmill, I'll do it at 3.0 with a 10.5 incline for as long as I can go.

My friend from HS lost 80 pounds in 9 or so months by JUST walking on the treadmill on an incline and incorporating some weights. And, of course, having a good diet.
  • ajpeardon
    ajpeardon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but am near your height and weight and I find I burn many more calories when I do the hill program on the treadmill vs interval running or steady walking. The change in incline intensity acts like interval training, but without the stress to "the girls" or your knees! Interval training is where you go really hard for maybe 30-60 seconds then go at a lower level for maybe 2-3 minutes to recover. This will keep your heart rate at a higher rate than the slow and steady exercise will and is supposed to increase your metabolism and allow you to continue burning fat even after your exercise session. I like the hill programs vs trying to control inclines manually because I don't have to track anything and I can just watch tv or listen to my music and zone out! I do adjust the speed on the hill program though (don't like the auto speeds they usually give you), I warm up at about 2-2.5 mph and then walk at 2.8 during the work out with hills. When I am just walking I go at 3-3.5 like you. Good luck.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Interval training is great! I just recently switched to speed intervals, but I was doing incline intervals at first.
    I set the treadmill to manual. I started off walking at 3.5 speed on a 1.5 incline for 5 minutes to warm up. Then I'd bump my speed up to 4.0 (and eventually 4.5) and I increased my incline every 5 minutes.
    You can start at whatever speed suits you. I started this going 3.5, but I ending doing 4.5, and eventually moved on to running. I had a lot of success with this plan. It's a plan my trainer put me on.

So to simplify it: pick your speed (if you're doing 3.5 now, maybe stick with that and then increase it over time.)
    0-5 min: 3.0 speed, 1.5 incline
    5-10 min: 3.5 speed, 5 incline
    10-15: 3.5 speed, 7.5 incline
    15-20: 3.5 speed, 11 incline
    20-25 (or 30 if you can): 3.5 speed, 15 incline
    30-35: 3.0 speed, 1.5 incline

I found it was fun and allowed me to edit it to challenge myself as I continued to work out.
  • Liggy302
    Liggy302 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)