Irked by the Paleo-freak and venting

Options

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ask him to stop posting rude comments. Different things work for different people. If paleo works for him, great! But honestly, when it comes to diet & fitness, what works best for you is what you are going to stick to over the long haul . That many restrictions would result in imminent failure *for me*. Moderation with no resctrictions is much better long term *for me*. If he continues, unfriend him.

Exactly. He's your friend, not your personal trainer. If he can't be supportive, or at least keep his mouth shut, hide him. Feeling superior is seriously important to some people. It's sad, but it may be part of what keeps him going on his diet. Don't let him fuel his own lack of confidence, by disrespecting you. That's right, "disrespecting," not "making you feel bad," because you need to be confident enough to feel good regardless of other people say. You can have that! :flowerforyou:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    "Can't be supportive"
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I bet your friend thinks you're dumb for eating all that sugar.

And we all think he's dumb for obsessing over fruit juice.

Moral of the story: facebook is dumb
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    On Facebook, you can put him on the "doesn't see my posts" lists through customizing your audience of a post through the audience selector tool. (Look for a globe or 2 people icon).
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I would probably stay away from posting pictures of what I eat on FB and would concentrate on what I do on MFP. Also why waste energy on someone elses diet ? I would especially make an effort to log correctly. Maybe it's just an oversight, but what you said you ate last night in your OP and what you logged is not even closely related....... and it is really difficult to keep track of things when that happens.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    On Facebook, you can put him on the "doesn't see my posts" lists through customizing your audience of a post through the audience selector tool. (Look for a globe or 2 people icon).

I think your choices are this^ or just not letting it get to you. It's Facebook. If you share it, people are going to judge it.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Unfriend.
  • fhfreedom
    fhfreedom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What she said...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get some feedback from others regarding nutrition and sugars from juicing before bed.
    Last night for dinner I had a 1/2 cup medley containing scrambled egg, ground turkey, peppers, fresh garlic and sun dried tomatoes. I paired this with 12 oz. of fresh juice. I juiced four carrots, three baby apples, and two mini tangerines. I had just completed an intense workout and burned close to 800 calories. Throughout the day I watched the amount of carbohydrates, sugar and calories as I am trying to lose weight.

So at times I post pictures of what I eat on Facebook, yes, I'm that girl. Doing this helps hold myself accountable. I also have numerous friends who enjoy the motivational healthy meals I prepare for myself and are quite mindful of living a healthy life. I have one friend who found "Paleo" about a year and a half ago and now is a freak about all things paleo. "Oatmeal and all grains are the Devil!" is pretty much his motto. He lost about 45 pounds and is now at a very healthy weight. He also does long-distance biking. At times I have noticed he mentioning not having the energy to complete his day-long bike adventures. This makes me wonder if his Paleo views have gone too far and he is not in taking enough carbohydrates now in order to sustain his energy levels.

So anyways, he made a comment (as he ALWAYS does) regarding my food choices and how it's "not Paleo, therefore it's wrong". So of course he made a comment about how the fruit juice in my fresh juice was too high to have before bed and should have had that in the morning or mid-day. Having sugar and carbs in the morning or midday is ideal. However, when I just got done with the intense workout I had, is having two apples juiced with carrots and tangerines that bad to have at night? There is a huge difference between a 24 oz Jamba Juice and 12 oz of freshly juiced veggies and fruit.

Feedback?

1. I think you're right about his energy levels and bike rides. Also the bike rides probably have more to do with his successful weight loss and maintenance than the paleo diet. If the diet helped him to maintain a deficit, then it would have helped but there are less restrictive ways to create a deficit (as you know!)

2. So long as you're in deficit, it doesn't matter what time you drink all your juice

3. palaeolithic people ate grains and fruit when they were in season, if they were available in their local environment

4. one way to shut up a paleo smart *kitten* is to offer him genuine palaeolithic food. I'm talking about stuff like wild meat cooked on an open fire without using any metal (you can find large, flat stones, heat them in the fire and use them like a hot-plate). Cook root vegetables by packaging them in tree bark then cooking them on an open fire (the bark prevents them from burning). Offer him a meal like this and apologise for the fact that you can't get hold of genuine pleistocene root vegetables, but that you hope modern root vegetables cooked with only middle palaeolithic technology would suffice. If you want to get *really* hardcore then other palaeolithic treats included insect larvae, animal brains (use a stone tool to smash the base of the skull to extract it) and honey that still has bee larvae in it (excellent source of both carbohydrate and protein.... Homo erectus probably valued this particular food very highly.

5. Or you can show him this "recipe" for palaeolithic bread.... cooked the middle palaeolithic way. Kinda: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/paleo-bread-recipe/
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    One of my social media maxims is "Most people on Facebook don't care what you had for dinner, and those who do care are probably thinking you should've had something different." Ergo, I don't post about what I eat on Facebook.

If accountability is an issue for you, then I think developing a friends list on MFP of people who are at least supportive of your goals, even if they don't share your methods, and will call you out for not eating in a way that is commensurate with your goals is probably a safer bet than depending on Facebook. It's too "general population" for that, if you catch my drift.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    One of my social media maxims is "Most people on Facebook don't care what you had for dinner, and those who do care are probably thinking you should've had something different." Ergo, I don't post about what I eat on Facebook.

If accountability is an issue for you, then I think developing a friends list on MFP of people who are at least supportive of your goals, even if they don't share your methods, and will call you out for not eating in a way that is commensurate with your goals is probably a safer bet than depending on Facebook. It's too "general population" for that, if you catch my drift.

That is brilliant.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has a vegan friend on his list who does the same thing. it's the food police (paleo/vegan)'s issue not yours. I'm all for trying to educate people about choices but sometimes born-again foodies can become almost evangelical in their promotion of whatever lifestyle they're following.

My suggestion is adding the paleo guy to a 'Restricted' list so he can't continue to hijack your posts with his personal views.
  • fredpdx
    fredpdx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As an employed archaeologist my opinion is that the "Paleo diet is bull****".

Well mostly. It fails in that paleolithic sources of protein don't exist anymore, (like mammoth) it fails in that we can't spend 6 hours a day gathering berries, roots and nuts. It fails in that it's expensive.

Though eating too many refined and processed carbs can be bad for you. I read the book, and my takeaway points are:
    - Eat more starchy vegetables and fewer breads and pasta.
    - there are healthier ways to fix favorite foods (i.e. paleo meatloaf) and still have tasty food.

If you ask your friend to tone the Paleo-krishna comments you can always "unsubscribe" from him, make a group of "friends" on facebook that are more supportive and understanding. Excluding him from either of these options keeps him from seeing your regular updates unless he clicks through and just reads your page. It's what I do in election years to my friends that are the opposite end of political views from my own.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    Though eating too many refined and processed carbs can be bad for you.

How so?
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Can't stand people like that. If someone has managed to lose a lot of weight, that is great and shows persistence, but it doesn't make them more informed or smart than others who have lost weight, or people who's always been slim for that matter.

Have a friend who eats keto, and believes that is the only lifestyle which is "low carb". Completely shamed me once for eating a banana.

Of course if someone is trying to lose weight but aren't, and is constantly complaining about it, then it is a different matter. But if you are successfully losing weight and you're just sharing some recipes, he should definitely shut up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I treat all diet extremenist (clean and paleo types specifically) much like I treat zealot born again Post *kitten* all ever the place Christians.

it works pretty well if you treat them like religious extremists.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    MAYBE drinking all that sugar before bed isn't THE best choice if you are trying to diet "by the book" but since you watched your intake throughout the day and burned so many calories working out, I don't see anything wrong with it. So many worse choices could have been made! :)

PS I know lots of Paleo people from my gym and they CAN be annoying. I did strict Paleo for about 4 months and lost weight quickly but it wasn't something I could keep up with permanently. For myself, I needed the extra carbs for energy.

There wasn't that much sugar in my fresh juice- maybe around 20 grams tops? Is that too much? I had more juiced carrot than anything. What is the ideal amount of sugar a person should have?

No way you only had 20gs sugar, an apple depending on size will range from 8-18 grams alone, probably the same in the tangerine, plus a little in the carrots, I would say it would be more in the rage of 40-60 grams of sugar. Did you enter the ingredients in MFP to see the amount of sugar? Looking at your diary your juice shows no sugar, but of the 63 carbs only 13 are fiber which would leave the other 50 as sugar, or at least most of the 50 would be.

That said, if you are not diabetic the amount of sugar wouldn't matter that much anyway as long as the carbs didn't keep you from getting your minimum fat and protein required and still in a calorie deficit.

Thank you for pointing this out. I actually need to get a food scale so that I can properly enter in my intakes.I had searched out something similar on MFP. It gave me the calorie content, but no sugar.
    Thank you for your feedback :)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You know it's funny... my hubby recently posted a picture of a burger he made (he was being adventurous with his toppings) on Facebook and one of his friends posted "that is so disrespectful for those of us that don't eat meat"... and he took it down! I told him, I would have said "offended? then don't look" and have that be the end of the conversation. If he doesn't like what you have to post then he can look elsewhere.... don't let people's narrow-mindedness make you second guess yourself. Do you... screw everyone else. If he wants to eat Paleo... WHOOPIE for him. He can keep his opinions about your choices to himself.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Thank you for your suggestion. Personal Accountability is an issue of mine. I exercise every day, but my relationship with food has always been a big struggle. If I do post something food-related on FB, it's probably about once a week. I am actually pretty private on Facebook, and most my friends on there can take any of my posts and turn them into a fun long banter, getting everyone involved.

All in all, I am going to send my friend a sidebar message and just let him know that I although appreciate his success and healthy eats; he is coming off in a negative light.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    You know it's funny... my hubby recently posted a picture of a burger he made (he was being adventurous with his toppings) on Facebook and one of his friends posted "that is so disrespectful for those of us that don't eat meat"... and he took it down!

I would've unfriended him on FB and in real life. I have no tolerance whatsoever for people who invent things to be offended or insulted by. I have FB friends who don't eat meat, gluten, whatever, and I don't feel like they are personally insulting me when they post some gluten-free cookie recipe or vegan chocolate cake. Now, if they start telling me I'm a bad person because I eat animal flesh, it will have a different ending.