Sunday Night Debate! Can you tone SKIN?

Options
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are watching this past week's Biggest Loser, and he was saying that there are excercises out the that help you to tone up your SKIN after you loose weight.

I disagree.

Some people have nice firm young elastic skin, so their skin "bounces back" after weight loss.

Other are just left with the excess skin after weight loss (look at celebs that have had to have skin removed for this exact reason).

So whatchya think? Are there skin toning excercises? (Team Will) or does toning only happen to muscle? (Team Cate!)

<3 Cate

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Im Hoping for Team Will... if only for selfish and uneducated reasons... LOL I WANT MY SKIN TO BOUNCE BACK!
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    No you can not. If your not one of those lucky people who are blessed with nice elastic skin, then you'll most likely require surgery. When you lose fat, the cells stay, they are just empty. Its kind of like the effect of popping a balloon. *sigh* I wish we could tone skin though!
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew enough to pick a side. If there is something I can be doing to help the "bouncing back," I'd love to know about it!
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still young BUT I can tell you from experience that your husband is correct - skin DOES tighten after you loose weight. And, when I say loose weight, I mean every last little bit of it.

Look at my pictures, the one of me in the bikini, that was after I lost about 80lbs. 80lbs that I had gained during my 2nd pregnancy. ALL IN MY STOMACH. I had rolls of extra skin after my daughter was born and I had a c-section scar.

Guess what, after I lost ALL of it, not only did the skin go back, it was tight and my stretch marks from the pregnancy DISAPEARED! I've also heard people argue that you can't get a flat stomach after a c-section, guess what, also a big fat FALSE!

* I just wanted to add that the pictures aren't labled. The one of me in the purple bikini that was right when I got pregnant for #3, so after #2. The pictures of me pregnant, that was pregnancy#3. The picture of me holding the baby, that's my most current. (well, 5 months old now.)

BUT, It is completely possible! It was for me anyway...
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    well to give you an official answer.. no skin toning will ever work.. its not a muscle...

BUT.. you can encourage your skin to heal and "tone up" using a loofa and keeping your vitamins right and drinking lots of water...

the skin is kinda like layers like this OOOLLLMMM after a while it goes like this AAAOOOLLL and then WWWAAAOOO because you constantly flake off skin and its layers.... so thats why they dont reccomend you get a tummy tuck till after AT LEAST 3 years after your weight loss because thats about how long itll take to fully recover to as much as its going to recover....

SOOO with scientific backing... there you go
  • maletac
    Options
    ohh and you also use lotion to keep your skin moisturized
  • SkinnyCate
    Options
    Well, I'm still young BUT I can tell you from experience that your husband is correct - skin DOES tighten after you loose weight. And, when I say loose weight, I mean every last little bit of it.

Look at my pictures, the one of me in the bikini, that was after I lost about 80lbs. 80lbs that I had gained during my 2nd pregnancy. ALL IN MY STOMACH. I had rolls of extra skin after my daughter was born and I had a c-section scar.

Guess what, after I lost ALL of it, not only did the skin go back, it was tight and my stretch marks from the pregnancy DISAPEARED! I've also heard people argue that you can't get a flat stomach after a c-section, guess what, also a big fat FALSE!

* I just wanted to add that the pictures aren't labled. The one of me in the purple bikini that was right when I got pregnant for #3, so after #2. The pictures of me pregnant, that was pregnancy#3. The picture of me holding the baby, that's my most current. (well, 5 months old now.)

I TOTALLY agree and you are proof! BUT -- not EVERYONE can do that. Some people, after loosing ALL of the weight, are still left with saggy flabby skin. I'd chalk it up to age & genetics, but not to "skin toning excercise".

*update* Will is researching for his side of the debate :)
  • willhunter
    Options
    I have found numerous Personal Trainers posting about tips for toning skin after weight loss. However, I am currently trying to find the science behind it. Obviously age is a major factor, skin is more responsive when you are younger, but this is true for weight loss in general
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are watching this past week's Biggest Loser, and he was saying that there are excercises out the that help you to tone up your SKIN after you loose weight.

I disagree.

Some people have nice firm young elastic skin, so their skin "bounces back" after weight loss.

Other are just left with the excess skin after weight loss (look at celebs that have had to have skin removed for this exact reason).

So whatchya think? Are there skin toning excercises? (Team Will) or does toning only happen to muscle? (Team Cate!)

<3 Cate

As a licensed esthetician, I'm handing this one to Team Cate...kinda. You can tone the muscle under the skin but as for "toning skin" for reasons of shrinking or going back to it's original size & shape, the answer is hefty NO. Skin tone refers to pigmentation. Whether or not your skin does tighten is the results of many factors including: heredity, age, how overweight the patient was, how long the patient was overweight, how well they took care of their skin, where the skin is (hands, feet, inside of the thigh, lower abdomen, facial features?), and on & on.

If you are not significantly overweight and if you haven't been overweight for long, and IF you're fairly young and haven't yet lost your skins' elasticity, you stand a good chance of retaining most of your old toned, firm self. Otherwise you may need the help of a shaper or a nip or tuck here & there.

Go Cate!
  • willhunter
    Options
    'Can my diet help me to lose some of the extra skin?

Yes, in small ways. “Your intake of food and fluids before, during, and after losing weight is a factor for your skin,” says Harry Pino, Ph.D., director of exercise physiology at the Obesity Consult Center of Tufts-New England Medical Center.

First, Pino advocates maintaining a lower fat diet and eating lean proteins to help minimize the extra skin, even after you’ve lost the weight. Second, hydration is crucial. That means drinking plenty of water [64 ounces or eight cups per day.' - ifitandhealthy.com

So this is evidence that you can be a factor beyond in reducing skin after the fact. As for the exercise.

'After a significant weight loss, your next challenge is to tone up and tighten skin that is left behind. Trying to get rid of loose skin can be extremely frustrating, especially when it’s on your arms where it’s highly visible. Start (if you haven’t already) an exercise program that includes resistance training in addition to cardiovascular workouts and a healthy eating plan. Some people may require surgery to get rid of all their loose skin, but others can tighten skin by simply toning up.' - fitday.com
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

i love you!!! you give me hope!!!!!
  • SkinnyCate
    Options
    'Can my diet help me to lose some of the extra skin?

Yes, in small ways. “Your intake of food and fluids before, during, and after losing weight is a factor for your skin,” says Harry Pino, Ph.D., director of exercise physiology at the Obesity Consult Center of Tufts-New England Medical Center.

First, Pino advocates maintaining a lower fat diet and eating lean proteins to help minimize the extra skin, even after you’ve lost the weight. Second, hydration is crucial. That means drinking plenty of water [64 ounces or eight cups per day.' - ifitandhealthy.com

So this is evidence that you can be a factor beyond in reducing skin after the fact. As for the exercise.

'After a significant weight loss, your next challenge is to tone up and tighten skin that is left behind. Trying to get rid of loose skin can be extremely frustrating, especially when it’s on your arms where it’s highly visible. Start (if you haven’t already) an exercise program that includes resistance training in addition to cardiovascular workouts and a healthy eating plan. Some people may require surgery to get rid of all their loose skin, but others can tighten skin by simply toning up.' - fitday.com

Right -- so it has to do more with keeping your skin hydrated -- not exercise. How can an exercise tone your skin?

(And yes, we are having this debate via interwebs whilst sitting next to eachother :) )
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options

This presupposes that most people watch what they eat & drink BEFORE losing weight. If that was the case, most people wouldn't have much, if any excess weight to lose.
    First, Pino advocates maintaining a lower fat diet and eating lean proteins to help minimize the extra skin, even after you’ve lost the weight. Second, hydration is crucial. That means drinking plenty of water [64 ounces or eight cups per day.' - ifitandhealthy.com.

There are growing circles that are following the news released pre -2008 that 64 oz. of water a day is a myth. Does it help flush your body of toxins especially after a workout? Yes. Do each and every one of us need exactly 64 ounces? Where's the research that supports that?? http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/07/64-ounces-of-water-day.html and http://www.sportsscientists.com/

Trying to get rid of loose skin can be extremely frustrating, especially when it’s on your arms where it’s highly visible. Start (if you haven’t already) an exercise program that includes resistance training in addition to cardiovascular workouts and a healthy eating plan. Some people may require surgery to get rid of all their loose skin, but others can tighten skin by simply toning up.' - fitday.com

Resistance training tightens muscle, not skin, so again, this goes to Cate.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Try some home remedy techniques.

1) MASSAGE! You have a hubby doing weight loss with you! Rub each other down in circular motions toward the heart once or twice a day, that stimiluates your skin.

2) Exfoliate: The more than comes off, the more new stuff is growing.

3) I use Bengay and Icy hot BEFORE I go to the gym on my butt, tummy, middle curves and near the breasts. The heating effect stimulates and tightens the skin. Don't get it anywhere near your cha cha!

4) Department store (and cheaper) firming lotions... pair this with the massage!

5) Sauna!
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    Hi! Massage Therapist here...I have to hand it to Priskar and AsaThorsWoman they are RIGHT! That's why I am working to my schoolgirl figure back now at 34..before it's too late to save the skin! (Find out for yourself...take closeups of before pics..and continue throughout your journey).... So many factors depending on age, toxicity, and how well you've taken good care at cleaning your pores along with hydration! Not just body creams, but WATER!!!! So, either one of you could be right, depending on the circumstances of the "LOSER".............;) Do have a massage..it squeezes out excess toxins, relaxes and lengthens overworked muscles, and clears your mind! If you've never had a massage b4, start with a Swedish first..and be sure to let your therapist know..she/he will explain exactly what will be done..easing your nervousness...and you will not be able to wait to go back to have another one! Asa: I do the same thing in the gym..not everytime..but this not only aids in circulation but encourages blood flow to the muscles/ligaments around the joints that may be holding so tightly that they are restricting good range of motion..and flexibility..LETS NOT FORGET, ELASTICITY IN THE MUSCLES ARE MOST IMPORTANT in BUILDING HEALTHY, STRONG MUSCLES;)

Try doing a little circulatory massage with a body scrub...it's invigorating..and great for circulation! Then keep it going with a nice Shae butter body lotion..ESSENTIAL OILS also HELP! Go to your nearest Whole Foods Market, ask for assistance...but for starters..you can try peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, or black pepper OILS...not together.. try blending one of these with a little Jojoba or even olive oil as a carrier oil!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Another thing that can affect how your skin reacts is how quickly you lose the weight. I knew a girl in college who had lost a lot of weight (I forget the exact amount, but I want to say it was over 100 lbs.) in a VERY short amount of time. The weight loss was before I knew her, but I did see what it did to her skin afterward (we lived together, and she was never modest regarding changing clothes or wearing something skimpy, so I saw a LOT more of her body than I wanted to!). She had ridiculously saggy skin leftover from the weight loss that never tightened up or went away, even though she was still young (20/21). I think the biggest reason for that is just because she lost it all so quickly, her skin didn't have time to readjust! I've lost 55 lbs. now, but it has taken me 11 months, and I haven't encountered any skin issues. I hear that the same thing happens a lot to people who have had weight loss surgery too because it comes off so quickly. As they say, "slow and steady..." right? lol
  • nor333
    nor333 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes u r absolutely right :))
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The very short & simple answer: You can't "tone" it the same way you do for muscles, but it can/will snap back to some extent afterwards.

You're both correct :wink:
  • maletac
    Options
    ONE MORE THING!!!!

they say you have about 3 years of skin repairing

i read this being afraid i might get loose skin

but drs say that they wont do skin surgery till you wait three years because after that time itll finall be where its going to be
  • maletac
    Options
    ONE MORE THING!!!!

they say you have about 3 years of skin repairing

i read this being afraid i might get loose skin

but drs say that they wont do skin surgery till you wait three years because after that time itll finall be where its going to be