protein vs. fat. i can't get it right!!

Options
I am sure this has been asked a million times.... BUT...I am really struggling with hitting my macros.

I have to get in 175 g of protein and to do that I KEEP going over my fat grams. What am I doing wrong? I have been eating eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and nuts and of course meat but I can't figure out how to make it so I am not over my fat. ARGHHH....This is so frustrating!!

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of protein.
    What's your calories for the day and the other 2 macros?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It's important to learn foods that have lower fat content, and high protein. I've had excellent luck with egg whites (Muscle Egg makes flavored pasteurized whites, so you can either cook with them, or just drink them straight, and they taste fantastic), Quest protein bars, white fish like tilapia or even CRAB, and of course chicken breast.
    Just make sure you're eating lean cuts of meat, and if you dairy, do lower fat dairy if you still need to cut down fat macros.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem to be over in fat?
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars are awesome for that
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That's really high for protein. What is your total calorie goal?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That is alot of protein. I set my macros at 50% fat, 30 protein, and 20 carbs. Been very happy with this.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Going over your macros increases calorie consumption. Per macro, fat packs in the most calories per gram. It's an issue.
  • Nordichorseman
    Nordichorseman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Start here.....Drop the nuts. Use 100% egg whites (not the imitation) and use low fat on the other items you've listed.
  • danielle_bk
    Options
    This is what I have......I am working with a trainer so I did not determine these numbers. :)

1,746 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 131.0 g
    Fat / Day 58.0 g
    Protein / Day 175.0 g
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you probably don't need that much protein.

However, if you want to eat that much protein, then you just have to increase the amount of protein that comes from lean sources.
    Start here.....Drop the nuts. Use 100% egg whites (not the imitation) and use low fat on the other items you've listed.

This is good advice. Nuts, as a percentage of calories, are more fat than protein. Different nuts have different ratios, but they all have a pretty high amount of fat.

Chicken, turkey, fish (most fish, check the label), 0% Fage greek yogurt, Cottage cheese, and whey powders will all be pretty lean protein sources.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is what I have......I am working with a trainer so I did not determine these numbers. :)

1,746 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 131.0 g
    Fat / Day 58.0 g
    Protein / Day 175.0 g

Maybe ask your trainer? He/She should be able to help you figure out how to meet the diet they have suggested.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't vegetarian, what about lean poultry and seafood, pork, or even protein shakes, powders, and bars?

I don't necessarily agree with the low-fat dairy argument... Some fats are good, especially nuts and foods such as avocado and fuller fat dairy can leave you more satiated than low/fat-free things, which can also taste downright nastier. That said, I do eat fat free greek yogurt pretty much every day, but also full fat cottage cheese, sour cream, ice cream, etc... mmmm. All about balance... Good luck!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    That's pretty low on the fat and high on the protien. This is a question for your trainer I suppose.

I shot for 100g protein and 50g fat but those are both minimums and I don't care if I go over.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Eh I tend to be in the camp of protein and fat are minimums and carbs make up the rest - so if I'm 10g over on Fat and Protein for the day and 30g short on carbs I'm not upset about it. So long as you feel you have enough energy (don't need more carbies) then it's not a huge deal. Sounds like your trainer is going for a low carb diet - dietary fat doesn't make you fat! ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You don't really need that much protein if you're not 150 pounds of pure muscle. General rule of thumb is about 0.8-1.2 grams per pound of lean body mass, so your weight - your body fat.
  • danielle_bk
    Options
    I am asking her as well but thought I would get some good ideas for you all for high protein food - :) Thanks everyone!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be from whole foods? Both whey and pea powder have really high protein:fat ratios...in the same ballpark as egg whites.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Going over your macros increases calorie consumption. Per macro, fat packs in the most calories per gram. It's an issue.

Its only a problem if she's still hungry, causing her to eat more. Low carbs, high protien, high/med fats has been a proven way to lose weight.
  • katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try getting protein from Lean sources such as chicken and turkey breast, fish, egg whites, and whey protein shakes if you need to have one occasionally, this will bring your fat intake throughout the day down. Also, non-fat Greek yogurt is good!