Working Out vs Relationship

Options
Hi All,

I have found that with all my after school training it is affecting my relationship with my gf. We work completly different hours so when we might have a chance to see each other I have been working out, obviously not intensional, just they way it happens. Then when we do see each other I am completely beat...

I find that when we are together I make bad food choices, and basically I do not find that she is very encoraging.

I am sure if it could be part jealousy, guilt for not doing something herself, or just that she misses me.

Has anyone else had this from there partners?

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    have her come to the gym with you...it will working out more fun, and you will get to spend time with her
  • Squash97
    Options
    I had the same problem. My husband wasn't seeing me much because I'd leave to go running when he would get home, then it was time to eat dinner and get the kids to bed. Then we were both exhausted from the day. It was hard on him. I started running during the day only on the weekends when he was home all day. During the week, I would set my alarm to get up before he would need to be at work and run early. If he had a long day and wasn't up for spending time together in the evening, I'd go to my parents house down the street and use their treadmill.

My husband wants us to have a good relationship, and I was glad that he was able to tell me that he felt like he hardly saw me and, most of all, was missing me. He told me he was really proud of all my hard work and didn't want me to stop, just to see if we could find a way to schedule things differently. Some days if I need to go for a run and wasn't able to get up in the morning in time, I would simply ask him when he got home from work, would it be okay if I went for a run, and when would work best. Right before dinner, after the kids are in bed, etc.

My runs only go from 20-40 minutes, unless I decide to do six miles, but that is usually on the weekends. I don't know how people spend hours at the gym and have time for anything other than work. It hink that it's all about balance and what works for you, but we have to be sensitive to how it affects the people we love. In saying that, I also think that it's important to have people in our lives that support us, help us, and want us to be the best version of ourselves we can be. You may need to adjust your schedule a bit, but she may also need to be more understanding and supportive.

I think it's just important to talk about it. Either way, don't give up and keep working hard. Just find what works best! Good luck!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe workout during your lunch? Or do a class together and then go for a meal afterwards - maybe if she's just worked out too, she won't feel like undoing it all with unhealthy choices and it might create some understanding - you could always go swimming, or Zumba or skating together?
  • jayjayingram
    Options
    see below
  • jayjayingram
    Options
    Without sounding selfish I am doing this all for me. I don't want to sacrifice my goals. I am really enjoying being active and out there even if that is allllll I am doing lately. Not much time foe anything else. I have become "one" of those people :)

Unfortunatly I can't do my workouts over lunch it has be before and after work. See I work 6.30-5 and she is a shift worker. Life/Love/Work Balance it can be done!

Anyway in time we will sort it out. Thanks for your comments. :)
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    Isn't this just the way THINGS GO..when you are making any type of CHANGE..YOU DO what YOU NEED TO DO, for YOURSELF...YOU ARE SHOWING YOUR STRENGTHS and DETERMINATION..we are NEVER to PUT a STUMBLING BLOCK in FRONT OF ANOTHER..but to be HELPFUL, LIFTING EACH OTHER UP! Do what you need to do, make time for your partner, our personal goals are important to ourselves and our relationships..even if they can't see that yet! You will be investing so much more of the healthier you...the CHANGES you will take back will be ALL POSITIVE! Don't doubt/worry yourself..she only wants attention from you..be sure to make time for that if the relationship is still in your interest..but do not be swayed by someone who is or acts jealous of the one who has a healthy ambition!:smile: