depression and dieting...

Options
Maybe its just me...but lately I have started up on the Atkins diet and working out. I fall out on the weekends but I get back in the game Monday. I have recently moved away from home 6 months ago and I have been struggling with homesickness. I try to make the most out of it and have fun, keep busy, entertainment, but I was afraid that I put on some pounds since I've moved up here and I wanted to stay on track. So I thought doing the diet and working out would be a wise choice for me especially good for my health and clear my mind or at least let me focus on something. I guess I am reaching out because I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced what I am experiencing being on a diet and probably depressed from being homesick. Anything helps and more friends will too.

Replies

• amanstewa3
    amanstewa3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to dealing with depression. I think mine is from the cold, snowy winter and lack of a social life. However, just getting out today with my son's girlfriend and going shopping has helped.

Do you have anybody (a neighbor, co-worker, etc.) who you can buddy up with to help with dieting and exercising?
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I have struggled with depression. I am struggling again right now due to life changes... Even though they are positive changes it is still..... Change. Diet can affect someone who has or does struggle with depression. It can make problems more severe. I wish I could remember all of the words my counselor shared with me to cover this topic but... I can't. Just know that you are not alone in your struggle. Add me if you want.
  • Petal27
    Petal27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been there. I found it happened the most when I was going to the gym and doing solo work, like weights and cardio machines. When I did classes or went for bike rides with friends it helped. Do you have friends in your new place? Ones that you can do "physical" stuff with like going for walks, runs, etc? You can search the groups on here for the city you are in and maybe find someone close to your new "home" to see if you can support each other, even off of this page.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I struggle with dysthymia, GAD, and PTSD, and have just recovered from a severe depressive episode, so I can definitely relate. Depression makes you tired, unmotivated, and wanting to stay in bed all day. During the severe episode, it was extremely hard to keep going. Keep in mind that a better diet and more exercise can actually alleviate the symptoms (it won't completely cure it like some people claim, but it can help take the edge off). Try to steer clear of negative people, especially when you are focusing on making better food choices or working out. I don't have a whole lot of advice to offer... just keep swimming.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hello to all of you!

Maybe this post can help some of you?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1198789-how-to-stay-motivated-while-being-depressed-after-a-relapse

I can relate to all of you way too much.. :flowerforyou: