Getting made fun of over food? Really?

Options
HealthyMakeover
HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
I used to have major problems eating in front of other people. Why? It's a long story that I don't want to get into, and it's hard to explain if you haven't experienced disordered eating habits. But, I've been getting along pretty well lately.

I brought a green smoothie to school today for lunch. It was just a quick creation in my kitchen; a kiwi, some green grapes, a banana, and a handful of baby spinach. (It tasted wonderful, by the way.)

I get to school, and everybody's first reaction was to make fun of me for eating something that looked "so disgusting."
I was pretty much reduced to nothing at that lunch table simply because of what I was eating.
.... but wait? Why was my smoothie disgusting? Is it because it was green?

I never really thought that people got made fun of over food until today. It really sucks that it would happen to me, but it sucks that it happens to begin with.

I definitely am reconsidering the group of people that I sit by during lunch hour.

Replies

• JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nobody should be made fun of, ever. That said, take the opportunity to explain how wonderful it is. You might convert them to healthier eating.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You should get new friends. If you are in high school. You won't know many of them after graduation anyways. Friends should support you.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    green smoothies always looked gross to me, they look like blended grass.

however, they taste awesome
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean about having problems eating in front of people. For me, I can't help but think they're sitting there thinking something along the lines of "Oh look, there goes fatty eating again!"

I don't know if this could help you at all, but I once brought a green smoothie to work. When I was drinking it while talking to someone I made fun of how gross it looked before they could say anything and just kind of made a joke of it. It really did look gross though, it was a little chunky and quite thick.
  • amymarie2534
    amymarie2534 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I get made fun of on a regular basis for my "weird" foods. I just shrug it off though. I enjoy them, so it doesn't matter what they think
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It got to a point where I had to arrogantly fight back at people because I eat what I eat. Shrugging it off never worked for me because then it would get violent very quickly. Teachers and classmates never gave a hoot.

Having genetic digestive problems made me look "weird". Doesn't matter what makes you different...my advice: Just OWN it.

When they ask you why you have something that looks "disgusting", your reply could be "Because %*(# You, that's why."

Real friends don't care what you eat, so long as you have something to eat.
  • yobrofosho
    Options
    People are often upset over their food choices and their out is to make fun of the food you eat. No one had anything to say to me when I was eating garbage at work but now everyone comments on my healthy choices. Luckily, people have been supportive of my eating habits. Please just know that anyone making fun of healthy eating wishes they had the willpower to do the same.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I get picked on at work for healthy eating. In fact, it happened just a few minutes ago. My department is working on a huge audit. Our brains are fried. Someone from another department suggests we all go have a drink....then says "well except for V because she's doing that whole healthy thing"

As it turns out...I have have beer in my fridge, chocolate wine in my freezer, and bailey's on my kitchen counter.

Some people will pick on you because they think it's extreme to eat healthy. Sometimes they are insecure with themselves. It could be anything really, but generally it has nothing to do with you at all. Keep doing what you're doing and find new people to sit with.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I have never liked eating in front of people... never really thought about why other than the insecurities of possibly getting food stuck in my teeth or something embarrassing happening (I am a chronic over-thinker) I was "picked on" daily by a girl at work because I weigh and measure all of my food. It got to the point that I was uncomfortable eating at work or allowing anyone to see me prepare my foods. I cried to a friend about it and she gave me a new way to look at it... She said "She probably picks on you because she is jealous that she does not have the discipline to be so dedicated to herself and her health". The new perspective gave me the ability to stop worrying about it and thankfully she recently moved on.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Im going to +1 the " Because f&ck you thats why " answer.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... I don't mind eating in front of others... and if they make fun of what I'm eating, I point out that theirs is gross too... but that's just me.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    There's a wise saying which goes "How do you get kids to eat vegetables? Put them in a McDonalds wrapper..."

So, put your smoothie into some kind of cool container / branded non see through cup and you won't get that much flak. The younger people are the more impressionable they are to appearances and the inability to think for themselves.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I definitely am reconsidering the group of people that I sit by during lunch hour.

Sounds like a good move.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Are you in high school? As I recall it, high school pretty much sucked the big one and people made fun of each other for pretty much anything. Don't worry, it gets better...there are still D-bags out there as you get older, but they are fewer and further between and basically as you grow older, you care less about them and what they think.

I'm pushing 40 now and could pretty much care less what anyone thinks or has to say about pretty much anything...that wasn't always the case though.
  • FIREBALL777
    Options
    I would just shrug it off though. its none of their business anyhow.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I want to offer the counterpoint to the "Get new friends" suggestion several people have made.

It's pretty well understood that a certain amount of mutual ridicule is actually a BONDING ritual in social groups.

(At least in male social groups. Ever see that joke "Men insult each other and also don't mean it. Women compliment each other and don't mean it either." Like most social humor there's at least a grain of truth behind it. )

An entirely reasonable response is to fire back. Laugh, then select a target, explain why their meal is terrible. (Pro-tip: It doesn't matter if your critique is accurate or health related, or even reasonable. Example: "What about your lunch? PB&J?!? How old are you five?")

Don't be angry about it. Just show you're willing to stand up for yourself and participate in the give and take. Done properly this can flip something that might exclude you into something that increases your status and acceptance.

Also you know, people respond to novelty. The first time everyone notices and comments. After a week they might not even notice anymore.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
    And I am indeed a high schooler, finally finishing my last year before I go off to college.

( and before anyone asks, yes, I'm old enough for the site. (: I didn't want anyone to think I sneaked on here. I couldn't register for sparkteens, they blocked my email address because of my age. )
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    People joke on my "weird" food habits all of the time. That's cool. It doesn't bother me anymore. I'm a size 4 and none of the others are...so yeah.