Are there any other powdered protein options?

Options
Hi! I am looking to lose some weight and build muscle/ tone certain areas on my body. I am lactose intolerant and at this time cannot consume any dairy. Most of the protein bars and powdered mixes contain whey which I cannot have. Does anyone have other protein powder substitution ideas I could try. I am able to eat a select few protein bar flavors by Clif and Luna but wondered if their was a non dairy protein powder option as well. Right now I get most of my protein from eggs and some other non dairy sources.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There's pea protein, soya, and hemp protein powders.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also can't do whey (or soy) so I've been using vegan protien supplements. There are several flavoured ones out there but many have stevia. Vega makes one and so does the company that makes Greens + (Genuine Health Vegan powder I think it's called, the Vanilla is not bad, but it has stevia which makes adding fruit taste overly sweet to me). I am using pumpkin seed powder right now, as it's unflavoured (which I prefer when making smoothies with fruits). It supposidly has 10 grams of complete protien for every 15 grams of protien. I've also found hemp powder which is not too bad. It's quite earthy tasting, and dark green in colour. Between hemp and pumpkin seed, I definitely prefer the pumpkin. I did see lactose free whey powder (I'm too scared to drop 40 bucks on it though in case it swells me up), as well as goat's milk protien powder. Someone a few days ago mentioned that NOW foods makes an egg white protien powder?

Best of luck, I'm going to watch this thread in the hopes that others have more suggestions as well.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    There's pea protein, soya, and hemp protein powders.

Yep. There's also rice. If you can't find it in your local grocery store, check online at Puritan's Pride. That's where I find the best price. I use NOW Pea Protein in Vanilla Toffee flavor. You can also Google "vegan protein powder" and you'll find many non-dairy options.
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    I have a link to some awesome protien options. Message me if youd like me to share! Good luck!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As well as rice based protein powders. Go to your health food store and ask to see the options.
  • LaurenHenkelman
    Options
    I always use brown rice / hemp / chia .. Ive been hooked on Primal Fuel for quite a while also but I'm not sure if its 100% dairy free.
  • CupcakeGangsta
    CupcakeGangsta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks for the ideas! I will definitely be trying the vegan protein powders out there. Hopefully I will find one that isn't too pricey. Most of the vegan products I buy cost so much. But I'm sure a little will go a long way :)