Does running help with weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• chandra2802
    chandra2802 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your diary the one thing i see.. is you dont eat any of your excercise calories back. If you look into you reports and look at net calories it looks like most days you are at a net of 800-900 calories. Some days lower. From what i have understood is that when you are eating at such a low net its harder to lose weight. Or atleast that is what i have read on the fourms lol
  • cfl68
    cfl68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    like previously stated by others, any form of calorie burn is a good thing. All comes down to reducing calories and increasing amount burned. My first month of healthy living consisted of reducing my intake, monitoring what I was eating and the only exercise was the treadmill. lost 18 lbs. I am now adding resistance training to the mix, as cardio only doesn't help with muscle maintenance. keep at it and results will follow
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Simple math, eat more than you burn and you won't lose!

I have gained while running 50+ miles per week. How? By eating 60 miles worth of food...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your diary the one thing i see.. is you dont eat any of your excercise calories back. If you look into you reports and look at net calories it looks like most days you are at a net of 800-900 calories. Some days lower. From what i have understood is that when you are eating at such a low net its harder to lose weight. Or atleast that is what i have read on the fourms lol

She has set it manually for a TDEE - 20% goal instead of MFP + exercise calories. Assuming she chose the correct activity level, that should include exercise. Hence my question as to whether or not the running increases her TDEE, and if she adjusted the TDEE accordingly.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I need to recapitulate my TDEE with the running, some weeks I can go once (to the running class) and other weeks 2x, due to my work schedule. I have Haybales worksheet, so I will re-do it with the running. I need to figure out how many calories I burn doing that, since I go at a a snails pace at the moment. I am getting a Garmin GPS type of watch so I can have a more accurate guess. I think it is about 115 cals per mile, but I am not sure how many miles we go. I will ask today and adjust my TDEE, if needed. I had just redone it based on bicycling to work. Thank you everyone for the feedback.
  • Phiallis
    Phiallis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You actually can outexercise a bad diet: lots of people do.
    But your genetics have to lend themselves to that, or you do need to put in a significant amount of exercise.
    If weight loss is your goal, your best bet is to watch what you it: exercise by all means, but do it for its many benefits, not just for weight loss.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I lost 2.5 stone in around 4-6 months from running. I did medium to long distance: 5k to half-marathon

There was no way I could have done it eating just 1,500 calories a day though. I am 182cm, male, and my goal weight to lose 1/2 pound was around 2,000. I managed to finish under this quite comfortbaly and quite possibly would have lost the weight without running. Still, more exercise, more fuel required.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here is a really good article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

There is a big difference between gross and net calories burned. I still plan on running though :)
  • allysteven880
    Options
    exercise always help you a lot. it is only made for body fitness and disease free life. one of them is running and it act as a blessings to lose weight quickly.