I'm Lost about the whole weight loss process!!!

Options
Hey everyone!

I have been a member for a while but I gave up and now i'm back again. I am ready for a real change this time. After getting on the scale and seeing that I have gained over 15lbs since losing my job has scared me. 302lbs is the biggest I have ever been. I did not know that. I looked in the mirror today and was disgusted with myself. I look a mess, feel a mess, and need to get out of this mess. I however have never been small and I do not know what it feels like to be skinny or just in shape for that matter.

I am lost as to what foods to eat, how to shop for them, the calorie counting, just all things weight loss. I'm doing this by myself and just need friends and encouragement. If you can be of help that is great.

Please feel free to Add me and I will do the same and motivate you as well. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• AJ0826
    AJ0826 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me what has worked best is not hyper-focusing on every little calorie, and freaking out if I don't eat EXACTLY the right thing. I like following MFP's recommended daily intake and logging my food on here. It helps me see what I'm wasting calories on (IE a giant drink from Starbucks which I love) versus what I could be (more food for lunch, less empty calories). I also throw caution to the wind and have one cheat day where I just don't worry at all about what I'm eating. For working out, I think if you are new to it just start by taking daily walks, that helped me, There are also tons of awesome videos out there too and you can find reviews on here for basically any one of them. Good luck and remember each step is a step in the right direction, no matter how big or small that step is :D That helped me when I started out!
  • katieshkins
    Options
    Since I am completely new to calorie counting, I took the first week or two to track my normal eating habits and make adjustments from there. Even if you only make a few small changes at a time. I realized which foods and portion sizes were preventing me from maintaining my healthy weight from a year ago (I gained about 20lbs). This should be really helpful for you to identify what you really need to cut back on or cut out all together. I also recommend getting some light exercise just to make up for the time you are probably spending at home not moving around.

Honestly, though, I have lost almost 10lbs just from using MFP for a month, doing nothing to my daily routine or food choices. I am always on the run, so I shopped for more diet-friendly quick meals like Smart Ones or Healthy Choice frozen dinners, light soups, veggies, fruits and cheeses for snacks, sugar-free sweets and fluids. Once you find a calorie level and meal/exercise plan that works for you (is healthy, but effective without making you feel like you are doing too much work), just stick to it.

It is totally possible to lose lots of weight. Tons of people on here are doing it and probably have better advice than me. My coworker has lost 70lbs and just reached his 1 year program anniversary and he never regrets it. Just don't regret not giving it your best shot. Good luck!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey there welcome!
    One thing that has helped me is first of all: buying scales.
    Not just to weight yourself, but also the food that you eat so you can log exactly and know what you've been eating and munching on. Two very good tools! Just make sure you avoid weighing yourself everyday and turn that into a once a week occurrence.

I lost weight by creating a calorie deficit and being more aware of what I am eating. There is plenty of information online about nice substitutions you can make daily to eat healthier if that's what you want and there are other alternatives too. I have been exercising 3 times a week and taking walks daily too! Once you've been doing small changes like that for 3 months it'll be part of your routine and you won't even "struggle" to do them any more! :D

But yeah - the key is to persevere!
    Oh and another thing - you WILL have slips as we all do and the best thing to remember is to take a deep breath and make up for it the following day. I actually have fun doing that from time to time again as I call it "Damage control" ;)
  • notwithoutsalt
    notwithoutsalt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    weight loss information is all over the net and can get very confusing. to eat healthy the USDA have great tool, check out this http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-tips/ten-tips.html.
    Start with the tips provided. then read your way up to more details.

everything matters: fresh fruits and veggies, lean meat, variety help, whole grains avoid processed food, avoid frying as a cooking methods etc. the guide I sent you the link to cover all this with examples.
  • shawn3lori
    Options
    I have tried a million times to lose weight! This time I weighed in on Friday an started dieting Monday and already lost 6 pounds!! I truly am motivated now!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Once you start tracking it will come easily to you to start weighing and measuring everything. Deep breath, I know sometimes it can seem overwhelming but you can do it. Just be practical about your shopping, make a meal plan so that you don't go out and fill your fridge with a bunch of stuff you won't be able to eat before it spoils - if you plan your meals you can shop accordingly. Check out your cupboards and fridge and plan some things around what you already have. Start with some lean meats (boneless skinless chicken breast are a staple for me because they can be easily incorporated into many things), figure out which veg you like (I have been buying a lot of what I can eat raw or steamed not much into salads this time of year), check the labels on breads (I usually buy multi grain breads and often pitas and wraps so lunches are easy), egg whites are a staple in my fridge also (whole eggs are okay too, I just buy the whites to save on calories), I buy whole wheat pastas (watch your carb serving sizes they add up fast), other staples I like to have are yogurt and cottage cheese if you like those things. I wouldn't go out and stock up on a bunch of stuff I haven't tried before just buy things you know you like and will eat until you get a handle on tracking calories.

I know it was a little long winded but you can do it - good luck OP! :smile:
  • getfitwithphil
    Options
    I am using MFP to help me track my clients (I'm a personal trainer) so I can offer suggestions, one step at a time. It's not just about counting calories but also knowing what a "portion" size is of different types of food, i.e. fruits & veggies, proteins, fats, grains, etc. and changing 1 thing at a time to make it a habit before moving on with the next change. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Be FIT FOR LIFE not just today.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    All good advice above me.

Definitely get a set of kitchen scales and weigh and measure and log everything that you consume.

If you can get a good bunch of friends so that you can motivate and be motivated in return even better.

And you could also read this - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi Jgnowornever!

Everyone here has given great advice already, so just to supplement that.... MFP is a great awareness tool. I think someone's already mentioned just logging your usual intake for a week or two - great idea. You'll be shocked at how much you really do eat. After that start making changes. When I started my doctor had advised me to eat 20% less of everything at all times (absolutely no holidays or exceptions), so that's the guideline I followed and it made a huge difference. Sometimes it's hard to eat only 20% less and you end up eating 50% less and that's fine too.

My #1 tip for making MFP work for you is to log your whole day's intake upfront in the morning. Plan ahead, know what you'll have for all your meals and snacks. If you log before you eat you'll not only have a plan to follow but will know where there is some leeway to have a small piece of cake or a cookie or something. It'll also help prevent accidentally going over your daily goal.

Once you're started you'll discover recipes and things that work well for you. If you'd like to add me as a friend I can share a few of mine, I'm always happy to do this. Just make sure you also send a message so I know who you are. :P

Make slow changes and know that according to the laws of physics (e=mc2 and all that) it is literally impossible not to lose weight if you are consuming less calories than you are burning. You can do this.

Dee Dee. :)