Tasty and filling salads??

Options
Ambernstevo
Ambernstevo Posts: 4 Member
I've never been a fan of salads, but I want to find something tasty to help get me into it.

Replies

• SnoopysBitch
    Options
    Adding chicken, nuts, or dried berries can totally amp up a salad. Bolthouse Farms makes really filling thick dressings with greek yogurt so that they're low-cal and high-protein.

Tuna salad can be good too.

As an Italian, I love to add pepperoncini to my salad or on the side.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is a salad with romaine or spinach (or both if you feel a little crazy), feta with some toasted walnuts or almonds and mandarin oranges or strawberries and a raspberry vinegarette. Quick, easy and tasty. You could also throw some cranberries and croutons into the mix.
  • kgbsn80
    Options
    Romaine Lettuce, raisins/craisins, 1or 2 wedges of skinny cow cheese on the side, Lemon juice or Apple cider vinegar, olive oil with a dash of salt&pepper for taste.
  • catbender
    Options
    Quinoa salads are very versatile and feel more like rice dishes than salads! For a sweet and zesty profile, I toss together some red quinoa, blood oranges, spinach, apples, pomegranate seeds, and raisins, spritzed with lemon juice. For a savory option, you can add curry powder, chickpeas, all types of nuts, avocados, beans, sprouts, smoked salmon etc. The more texture and bite there is to the salad, the more filling it will feel. A dash of olive oil added to the mix makes the meal feel richer too.

Some inspiration: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/best-quinoa-salad-recipes
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I like cobb salads or Caesar.
    I really think salads are overrated.. Not measuring your dressing right and you'd be telling yourself you could of had a big mac.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Any type of salad mixes you like, avocado, tuna, tomato, sunflower seeds, and crunchy onions with any dressing you like.. Soooo good.
  • faeriecake
    faeriecake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Get one of those vegetable spiralizers. If you are tired of lettuce, make a veggie pasta -- it's basically a salad. I make a ton of zucchini noodles and toss them with some salad dressing -- I'm a big fan of a bit of pesto whisked with some lemon juice. Throw in some chicken, spinach, tomatoes, bell pepper, or whatever sounds like a yummy combo to you and you have yourself an interesting salad!

Or, you could do a quinoa salad -- I like cooking quinoa and letting it cool off, and mixing it with feta cheese, a bunch of salad greens, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, kale, and a protein. There are a variety of quinoa recipes on the internet, just google quinoa salad recipes until you find one that you like!

Also, never make the same salad over and over again. Salads get boring, quick. I like to mix it up with new ingredients, such as beets, edamame, kale, pickled carrots or cucumber, artichoke hearts, nuts, baked tofu, beans, etc.

Also, follow some pinterest boards for inspiration and links to recipes! This is one of my favorite salad boards http://www.pinterest.com/threadedbasil/salad/
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach has a very mild flavor and packs a decent amount of iron and other good things. Stick to darker greens, like others mentioned...romaine is good for a salad newbie, better than iceberg.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Today, I had a baby spinach salad with baby carrots, cucumber slices, a diced green apple, herb roasted turkey breast (roasted or grilled chicken works too), pecans, and a no-oil pomegranate vinaigrette. It was delicious. :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I had THE best salad for dinner tonight. I had leftover grilled flank steak so took baby spinach, a hardboiled egg, 1 oz goat cheese, 3 oz flank steak, 3 T craisins, 2 T sugared almonds and tossed it all together. Forgot all about the balsamic vinegar I was going to use for the dressing and didn't miss it.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bump -
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love taco salad, it's easier because you just use salsa as dressing, with some cheddar, beef or chicken, mixed greens, and you can add rice and black beans also.

Otherwise, smoked salmon, beets, goat cheese with whatever greens you like, with a dijon mustard/wine vinegar/olive oil dressing or steak and gorgonzola with the same dressing.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm a self-proclaimed salad master.

some of my fave topping combos:
    -black beans, avocado, diced mango, cilantro, feta cheese
    -tuna (packed in olive oil) mixed with a bit of mustard and a squeeze of lemon, 1 slice bacon, avocado
    -1/2 cup or so of leftover roasted chicken, blue cheese, hard boiled egg, slice of turkey bacon, avocado (this one is higher in calories but very filling!)
    -prosciutto, goat cheese, dried figs, sliced almonds
    -strawberries or blueberries, goat or feta cheese, crushed pecans or sliced almonds
    -beets, goat cheese, chickpeas, sunflower seeds

adding a good source of healthy fat (avocados for me usually) and protein is essential for a satisfying salad :) I dress all of my salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I keep it in a travel shampoo bottle, shake it up when I'm ready and drizzle it on my salad.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    In addition to making my own, (mostly use romaine and veggies or make a taco salad or steak or chicken salad or I do a fruit salad with spinach--strawberries, mandarin oranges, etc..) you can buy the ones that are "kits" in the grocery stores. Dole has several now and if you live near a Wegmans, they have their own versions, or the Clubs (Sam's, Costco and Bjs) have several varieties.. The Kale salad from Costco is to die for!! Best wishes.
  • emmullins55
    Options
    Those are yummy combos!!!!!
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    I copied one off an old episode of Australian Biggest Loser a few weeks back: lettuce, peppers, cucumber, chicken, with half a lime squeezed over it. It wasn't really filling enough for rehearsal days so I added a small amount of pasta (and skipped the lime, because I don't like it on the pasta). The vast quantity of lettuce dealt with my usual diet problem - small "amount" of food doesn't make me feel full enough - and the rest was a good mix of things to keep me going.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lisxoox
    Options
    Personally I die for rocket! Best tasting green salad EVER. I always use it as my base. Then I just go ahead and add all kind of veggies (tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber etc), some fruit (pear or blueberries taste really good in a salad!), feta cheese, some pine nuts. And what I just discovered: Try and roast some onions until they're brown and sweet. I always sprinkle some soy sauce on top and stirr in some agave syrup. Seriously, it gives your salad a super nice, delicious touch.
    I always make my own dressing. Usually I go for a Balsamic-Oil Vinaigrette. yummm