Help I made bad choices today..

Options
Can anyone tell me if I ate over 479 calories how much weight will I gain. My normal caloric intake is 1400. This was only for 1 day. Any advice...I feel terrible !!!

Replies

• Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Don't feel terrible. We all have bad days. Bad days will happen. What you have to do is brush off the dust and keep going. If you let one bad day become another bad day and then a bad month, then you will never be able to achieve your goals. Don't over stress about it. Just keep going and push yourself to have a great day tomorrow.
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    First off: deep breath.

Second: going over your calorie count for one day is not going to completely mess you up. I've gone over by 500-600 before. In also set to 1400 at the moment. You can do a couple of things.

Option one: log it and move on. Make better choices moving forward and relax. Like I said one day of 500 extra calories likely won't make you gain anything. If you did it all of the time - depending on what your deficit currently is to get to 1400 - you might gain, or just not lose. But one day is one day. That's it.

Option two: do an extra workout to earn some of those calories back if it will make you feel less guilty. Guilt never helps so I don't recommend it.

Option 3: average or your calories for the week. So you were over today. Be 50-100 under for the rest of the week and you well average out.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You cannot live life fretting about occasions where you might go over some manmade arbitrary number in food. That is no way to live, and weight gain does not really happen like that. If you think you would gain weight from a mere 400 odd calories, then maybe you need to have a good, long think.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Guessing you already have a 500+ deficit calculated into your calories, so most likely you didnt even go over your maintenance calories, dont worry about it, u shouldnt gain anything
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    nothing will happen.

carry on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Guessing you already have a 500+ deficit calculated into your calories, so most likely you didnt even go over your maintenance calories, dont worry about it, u shouldnt gain anything

This. You might gain a bit of water weight but you won't gain any fat.
  • valminar
    Options
    I think by punishing yourself you set yourself up to fail. You overate today, so what. You will still lose weight if you continue making better choices overall. You wont lose weight super fast but people who do that generally fall back into their old routines. Instead of focusing on your bad day be proud of all of your good days. Concentrate on making better choices overall and you will be just fine.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    well if your goal was set to lose 1 pound a week, then you ate pretty much right at maintenance... nothing will happen...
  • Susanjellybelly
    Susanjellybelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You just won't lose. No sweat. Tomorrow is a new day. I always gave myself a 'relaxed day" where I didn't worry too much and I still lost a lb a week. It helped me stick with it. You'll be fine just don't pitch the whole thing because of one bad day.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you are genuine and not trolling but you have lost 29 lb already so I'm confused lol

The long and short of it is it doesn't matter/shouldn't matter. What you did is in the past, that is there for looking at and learning from not stressing over. You most probably haven't gone over your TDEE but your weight may increase - perhaps by 1lb. This depends on how big your usual deficit is but if you are cutting hard you will most probably be running on a lower level of glycogen in your muscle. Eating a small amount will allow your body to replenish the glycogen and take on a bit of water (really this is better for your body anyway) so the needle on the scale may change. This is nothing to do with gaining the type of weight I am sure you don't want - fat and it will mean your body will have a little bit of a relief from the constant stress you are putting it under cutting back (perhaps do it more often and be good to your body :-))

At the end of the day though it is a marathon and not a sprint. just keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine

Good luck
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Roughly, 3500 calories equals 1 pound. So, you might gain a whole 1/7 of a pound. . . which is almost certainly less than your weight typically fluctuates during a single day.

You did nothing wrong, and tomorrow is a new day.
  • juliethaner
    Options
    First, I completely agree with everyone here: do not let this rest on your mind! All you should think about is how your next move is going to step you in the right direction. No matter how hard it can be, don't subscribe to the "well, today is already wasted" thought and continue making indulgences. Those quickly turn into days, weeks, and months off track. Based on your tracker, you've already come really far! You know you can do this.

Just in case this is helpful: 3,500 calories represents 1 pound of fat. If you are burning more than you're consuming, you will lose weight, plain and simple. Most people will try to be "under" by 500-1,000 calories a day, which works out to 1-2 pounds lost a week. Essentially a little under 500 calories represents only .14 pounds and, to others' points, myfitnesspal is probably trying to get you to shoot for a 500 calorie deficit (or more) so you've likely not gained a thing!
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Take it in stride and then get back on track tomorrow. :flowerforyou:
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options

^This. Unless you ate high-sodium foods.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    By the end of the week you'll still be under maintenance, so you'll still lose weight so long as you just get back to business tomorrow. You may be up a pound or so tomorrow, and maybe the day after, but it's just water and waste weight, you won't actually gain weight, it's just temporary.

Rigger
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement!! Yes tomorrow is another day....I will make better and wise choices. Thank you my friends !!! :)