Benefits of a pre-workout supplement?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been on my fitness journey since June 2013, and this year I've really started upping my strength training. I've heard and read a little about pre-workout supplements, so I'm wondering if someone can provide some feedback on them? I understand they can improve your performance and shorten your recovery time?

Thanks!

Replies

• fortunate1204
    fortunate1204 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about the same thing. I'm always curious about how much strength training justifies supplements. And a lot of comments scare me about the jittery feelings they get when taking them. Hopefully someone helps with some insight on this.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just started using these supplements, so I can't compare them, but I'm currently using Condense by Purus Labs and so far so good. I don't have that jittery feeling and it seems to help with the workout. It starts working in about 10 minutes. You start feeling like you have million ants all over your body and your face, but then it goes away. I was freaked out at first, but now I think it's kind of cool. It doesn't bother me at all and it gives me a signal that it's kicking in.

I bought it on Amazon, so take a look there.
  • Qpy97
    Qpy97 Posts: 1
    Options
    Im Currently On Bpm Labs the One which im extremely happy with expect the minor side effects eg tingly skin. I found it helps me out tremendously at the gym and i do more and go longer in my exercises.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I just started using these supplements, so I can't compare them, but I'm currently using Condense by Purus Labs and so far so good. I don't have that jittery feeling and it seems to help with the workout. It starts working in about 10 minutes. You start feeling like you have million ants all over your body and your face, but then it goes away. I was freaked out at first, but now I think it's kind of cool. It doesn't bother me at all and it gives me a signal that it's kicking in.

I bought it on Amazon, so take a look there.

That's terrifying.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd say go with what works best for you - I don't really do pre-workout supps because I figure...If I consume the right stuff then here's my homemade variety and you get to save the extra cash!

Personally I go with something that has the right kinds of and a good amount of carbs with straight black coffee 40-90 minutes pre-workout. An example being a bagel with a bit of peanut butter and black coffee to go along with
  • stephaaniemarie
    stephaaniemarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, OP here, and I wanted to give an update. I have started taking a pre-workout supplement, and it has improved my performance. No scary side effects, just more energy to keep lifting longer and heavier.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, OP here, and I wanted to give an update. I have started taking a pre-workout supplement, and it has improved my performance. No scary side effects, just more energy to keep lifting longer and heavier.

Placebo effect.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Placebo effect.
    Seriously....no pre-workout supplement will do that.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    my pre-workout supplement two cups of coffee :drinker:
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Placebo effect.
    Seriously....no pre-workout supplement will do that.

Because a stimulating drink wouldn't...stimulate? While there may be a degree of placebo effect, there's also some slight performance-enhancing stuff going into (most) preworkout supps, such as caffiene, beta-alanine, taurine, and/or several varieties of vasodilators.