Atlanta Ice Storm

Options
I expect to be iced in for the next couple of days, possibly without electricity. (I suppose I could even be without power longer than the streets are icy.) I have no doubt my eating routine will be all out of whack as a result--wish me luck!! :-)

Replies

• spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Ugh me too! I'm in North Carolina. Stay safe! I have been making things that can stay good even if we lose power
  • ToddGisMe
    Options
    I am just south of Atlanta, the weather reports don't sound too good!

It should be a lot of fun!
  • 62smt
    62smt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am sure my eating will be a combination of what's still cool enough in the fridge, storm-friendly items (peanut butter and such), and easy but safe comfort food. Stay safe and warm!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It was 82 here today. :-) Hope none of y'all lose power!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,066 Member
    Options
    Being without power would be bad for me.

Stay safe, Atlanta.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Stay safe!

You could pass the time doing burpees, I am sure that would make you much happier :bigsmile:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Good luck, my parents were snowed in in Atlanta 32 yrs ago at the end of January. They came out of a conference to find themselves trapped. They spent all night playing poker with a bunch of lawyers in a pub. Everyone was stuck in downtown Atlanta. Roads were closed. My brother Joey was only 5 months old. They went to the bar seeking water for his formula. Everything was closed. Pop won enough money to cover the trip and everyone enjoyed passing around the baby.
  • ToddGisMe
    Options
    I was here for that storm! I remember it well.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    We were down in Atlanta four years ago for a baptism when they were expecting four inches of snow and ice. While in our hotel, my son came into our room while the reporters on TV were honking off about the "SNOWPOCALYPSE" that was imminent. He asked, "How much snow are they forecasting?" We said four, and he rolled his eyes because we had just left Ohio, where we had about 16 inches on the ground. :D
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    good luck and be safe. I'm in northern MN so snow and ice are no biggie here. we're expecting about 8" over the next couple days, but we have the equipment to deal with it. you don't. I assume that people mostly stay indoors when you get weather like this. please stay off the roads unless it's an absolute emergency. don't want anybody getting hurt unnecessarily. good luck and stay warm. hope your power doesn't go out. no good can come from that !! funny how that happens more in the summer up here than in the winter. not funny ... but you know what I mean. everybody take care, this horrible winter will be over in a couple months ... thank God. this has been a brutal one for everybody.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Crazy winter! We don't have ice in southern Louisiana this week but it's unseasonably cold and damp. This is my 5th winter here and by far the worst!

Good luck y'all! Hope it's not as bad as the forecast is calling for. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I'm a northern gal. We are used to snow, though we've been spoiled in my area the last few years. Sadly looks like this latest storm will hit and we'll get the 6-12 in., on top of the 8 in. from last Wed. and 2 in from Sun. (and the freezing cold that wouldn't let any of it melt!). We're not un-used to it, but it still stinks. Can't imagine what it must be like when you get this junk further south. Stay safe.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I am in PA -and they are saying another 6-12 inch,we just had a strorm week-I am use to it-but enough is enough-it seem like this year it has done nothing but snow-and this 6-12 will go on top of the ice we already have-it is only 17 degress-i don't ever remember it snowing and ice storm so much- we also have to be prepared the electic can go out-so I wish everybody to be safe and warm-:smile::angry:
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Iced in sounds awlful!!! It's -25 where I live in Canada!!!! Even colder with the wind chill factor. One would think it would help burn those calories!!! LOL
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Here in Chapel Hill, NC. There's about 5 inches and still going strong. I grew up in New York, and tried to venture out to pick up my dog from the hospital (poor thing's been there a week) and basically all of the roads are closed. People are abandoning their cars and everything. I just came back home (even though as a Yankee I handled that snow like a pro!)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am in PA -and they are saying another 6-12 inch,we just had a strorm week-I am use to it-but enough is enough-it seem like this year it has done nothing but snow-and this 6-12 will go on top of the ice we already have-it is only 17 degress-i don't ever remember it snowing and ice storm so much- we also have to be prepared the electic can go out-so I wish everybody to be safe and warm-:smile::angry:

NJ here- and I've been here since 2007- this is the worst we have been since I moved here.
    I'm interseted to see how this goes- I've been fortunate the last few weeks - but I'm skeptical about this coming storm.

Fortunately I have gas- so I can reheat stuff- but I have plenty of canned things and water. Extra blankets and I know where my candles are- and I have all appliances charged- and fuel in the car.

if you lose power- just push grab some snow to keep your food cold once the fridge looses it's umph (what's that they say 18-24 hrs your fridge stays cold?) and alcohol.

always have that too. :D
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Me and my coworker were just talking about this. We decided that if it was financially possible for people in Atlanta, drive the eff out of there with your kids and or furrbabies and take a mini vacation to somewhere else for a few days! Sounds like it's going to be awful! Wish you the best of luck and please be safe :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Be safe down there! Toronto went through a terrible ice storm right before Christmas (which was ruined in many cases, including mine!) and some people didn't get power back for a week. I hope it's not as bad as they're predicting!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am hoping for more snow and less ice, the ice part of the storm is always the worst. If you lose power for a long time and it is still in the low 30s out, try putting stuff (well wrapped) outside in the snow and ice. Keeps it cold when your refrigerator starts to warm up. Just make sure it is well wrapped so it doesn't attract critters. Stay safe and warm.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Piedmont of NC, and I have 3 inches from the last few hours when it started and it's still coming strong. It's nice and dry and fluffy, though! Very light and blowing around. Folks are driving my road fine (but slowly) and it hasn't been plowed or anything.

I'm supposed to get a foot here, but I'm on the line of where it could be ice coming down tonight and tomorrow :( I hope to continue seeing the light, fluffy stuff!

My big long-coated dog had a ball outside :)