Pull Ups

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
Hello Folks,
A thought, I was able to do a "pull up" last night at the gym and was significantly excited about it! Because wow, I could pull up my own body weight! BUT as the night went on, I thought about it; because alot of the more standard pull ups are done with legs crossed behind you; I brought my legs FORWARD, and kind of curled them to help me up. So, question is, does this still count as a pull up? or did I use momentum by bringing my legs up ergo aiding in the pull up.

I know being able to do the latter may still be considered a success, but I want to be able to do these exercises as they are meant to executed, and not a modified version.

thank you for your input.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    its' a common issue with girls rounding and reaching for the bar with the chin- the legs come forward. it is what it is- I couldn't honestly call it cheating- or NOT a pull up unless you were swinging yourself to the bar.

If you are under the bar in that hollow hold position- legs behind you- it's pure brute strength pulling you up. It's significantly harder.

Think about pulling your elbows to your sides- and chest to the bar- don't reach with your chin.

keep working lat pull downs- negatives inverted rows and assisted pull ups- it'll get better- but really focus on keeping the chin from creeping up and then pulling your chest to the bar.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks JoRocka for the reply! :)
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Think about pulling your elbows to your sides- and chest to the bar- don't reach with your chin.

keep working lat pull downs- negatives inverted rows and assisted pull ups- it'll get better- but really focus on keeping the chin from creeping up and then pulling your chest to the bar.

Thank you so much! I'm currently working on chin-ups and this really gives me some excellent cues. I won't try them again until next Tuesday, but I will think about this until then.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! I'm currently working on chin-ups and this really gives me some excellent cues. I won't try them again until next Tuesday, but I will think about this until then.

Seconded! I am so looking forward to doing unassisted pull ups.