Bench Press at the Gym

Options
So I have the strength of an infant when it comes to anything upper body related, since all I used to do was run.

I've been trying to expand into weight-lifting to build muscle (and it strengthens your bones too!) and have been fine with squats, dead-lifts, free weights etc. I'm actually probably fine with most arm, shoulder and back exercises. Then I get to the dreaded bench press and I can do about 6 reps with just the bar before I think it'll squish me or i'll hurt myself.

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises to build my chest strength before attempting bench press? Or should I just be doing multiple sets of a few reps to start out? I also can do probably 3 real pushups.

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Stick with the bench press. Force yourself to add weight every time you work out. Since your strength is fairly low in the lift buy some micro-loading plates so you can go up in very small increments, otherwise you will have to go up a minimum of 5 lbs per workout which may be two fast for you.

As far as workouts go, do 3 to 5 set of 5 repetitions. Do this twice per week. Keep adding weight like I state above until you start to stall. You should be able to go up for a while. Ping me if you have questions.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd keep working on the pushups. WHen you can do a few more, bench will be easier.

In saying that, form check from someone knowledgeable wouldn't go astray. (I've got a few girls who can't do any full pushups but can bench from 30-45kg)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    As previously posted try doing 3-5 sets twice a week. Do you have access to a decline bench? If not try it with just the bar, you feel like you can lift more with the decline bench. Are you breathing properly? Keep working on chest/shoulder/back exercises and up the weight progressively as you are able. Things like flyes as an examle will help work the chest and before long you'll be able to bench no problem!
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    How many times have you tried bench pressing?

It takes time for your CNS to adapt to new neuralmuscular recruitment patterns.

Many gyms have lighter barbells, and I would ask the front desk or a trainer if they have 35lb barbell. They may even have barbells that are set weights - like 10,20,30,40.... Just do the exercise with the bar or with lighter weight... Don't be scared to ask for tips or for a spotter.

Reference pic for Barbell Set

life-fitness-straight-barbell-set.jpg
  • lmurph93
    lmurph93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Many gyms have lighter barbells, and I would ask the front desk or a trainer if they have 35lb barbell. They may even have barbells that are set weights - like 10,20,30,40.... Just do the exercise with the bar or with lighter weight... Don't be scared to ask for tips or for a spotter.

Wow we definitely have these at the gym - can't believe it never occurred to me to just use a lighter barbell

And thanks for the tips everyone! I guess I felt silly only doing 5 reps, but I have to start somewhere.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if the 45 pound bar is too heavy then you can always start with lighter dumbbells and work your way up OR better yet use the preweighted barbells. another option is using the shorter 25 pound barbell but the caveat with that and the preloaded bars are that they wont be long enough to set up on the bench

and definitely dont be scared to ask for a spotter
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I second sticking with the bench press (NOT the decline, though!). The best way to get better at a lift, is to do that lift. Google proper BP form. Before I started benching, I thought you just laid down and pushed the bar up and down. There's a whole lot more to it than that! A couple of other good suggestions were to use the fixed weight barbells and work up to the Oly bar or get a set of fractional weights.

Keep at it, you'll get it!

Oh, one more suggestion. Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Excellent information, even if you don't follow that particular program.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 5 reps.
    More pushups are good too.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 6 reps. In fact, "Stronglifts" uses sets of only 5 reps to build serious strength. Just keep plugging away, and when you feel ready, add 5 lbs.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Just don't take all of them at the same time.... just rude!!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Add in some tricep isolation exercises as an accessorie for you pressing movements. This helped me when I started lifting weights.