152 g of protein? How on earth?

Options
according to some of you folks on here, I'm supposed to eat .8 grams of protein per 1lb. of body weight. I calculated it, and came out to 152 g of protein? That's a lot of protein, I mean, when there is only a few grams of it in one egg, and the highest being from meat, but geez, I'd have to eat a whole chicken to meet that goal, wouldn't I? How do you guys do it?

BTW, I'm female, 5'3, 190lbs, and exercise 5 days a week burning 330 calories a day. Thanks.

Also, MFP has my calories set at 1200 and IIFYM has it set at 1600 calories.

Replies

• DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    All I know is based on my weight - which is a lot higher than yours - my listing has me at 103g of protein. There's lots of sources of protein: eggs, beans, lentils, meat, yogurt, cheese, etc.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Meat and fish have 20 grams of protein per 4oz
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways to get there. For example, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, milk with my oatmeal, steak tenderloin for lunch, greek yogurt snack, spaghetti with turkey meat sauce for dinner, and cottage cheese for late snack. Boom...183g protein. No supps or powders. The tough part is hitting your protein macro on your 1200-1600 cals. Not a lot of room for discretionary eating at that calorie level.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is a little over 100g. I started eating more beans, eggs, and try to eat some form of meat, fish, or poultry every day, also going to start with a protein supplement. I've noticed I stay full for longer and don't want to eat as much, also less bloated compared to when I eat a bunch of carbs. It's not too bad.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    Go the IIFYM way for sure. That way you don't have to plug in your exercise on MyFitnessPal as I find it over estimates the amount of calories burnt for a lot of exercises.

IIFYM also set me at 178g of protein, which I definitely cannot meet without feeling ill. I recommend experimenting with what works best for you, and down the road you may want to look into hitting macros. I find when starting out it's too much stress.

I'm also at around 1600 recommended, and I've lost 2 pounds in the past week. I eat protein to help keep me full, and I usually fall somewhere between 50-70 grams.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I do this but use my goal weight x 1gm. My goal is 140 gms
    of protein a day.It's tough but it can be done. Low fat cottage cheese, Greek non-fat yogurt, egg whites, chicken. These are just a few of the few things I eat daily. QUEST bars are a great alternative. Also, find a protein shake you like, pure protein cookies and cream is one I like.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm 180 lbs and eat about 150g of protein a day. I like questbars and use shakes sometimes to get my numbers up there. Just keep paying attention to what has protein, and you'll get into habits with foods you like that help you to get to your protein goal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Protein goals for weight lifting is determined by LEAN body mass, not total body weight. Are you at 20% body fat? Even then, those goals are for the elite lifters and only have had a couple of studies done to support such a high goal. I would, however, consider MFP to be a minimum goal and not worry about going over. But for me that is also about satiety.

As for your calories, MFP expects you to eat your calories back so 1200 +330 = 1530. That is only 70 calories difference from your other calculation. That is a very reasonable margin of error given that calories consumed and burnt are all based on averages, not direct measurements.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm a female- 5'4", 103 pounds. I try and eat between 130-140 g protein each day. It can be tricky, but my main staples are protein powder shakes, nonfat greek yogurt, skim milk, chicken, peanut butter (watch the fat content), and nonfat cottage cheese before bed.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I just had eggs whites and a protein shake. 200 Cals and 46grams of protein
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Today i got 80 grams of protein from 400 grams(a little over 14 ounces) of salmon. 734 calories
    30 grams from one scoop of whey-130 calories.

I got up to 123 grams protein with all the other stuff i ate.

I usually eat: eggs, tuna, beef, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, pork., fish. Supplement with a shake when necessary.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    It is actually 1g per lb of LBM (lean body mass) LBM = BW − BF

Lean Body Mass equals Body Weight minus Body Fat

In my opinion MFP cal/macro settings are well off, try this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Concerning exercise calories if you do not use the TDEE method...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Some protein sources...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

http://www.22daysnutrition.com/blog/2013/05/01/15-vegan-sources-of-protein-soy-free-and-gluten-free-too/

ETA: Changed equation to simplify it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    according to some of you folks on here, I'm supposed to eat .8 grams of protein per 1lb. of body weight. I calculated it, and came out to 152 g of protein? That's a lot of protein, I mean, when there is only a few grams of it in one egg, and the highest being from meat, but geez, I'd have to eat a whole chicken to meet that goal, wouldn't I? How do you guys do it?

BTW, I'm female, 5'3, 190lbs, and exercise 5 days a week burning 330 calories a day. Thanks.

Also, MFP has my calories set at 1200 and IIFYM has it set at 1600 calories.

nah, it's supposed to be per lb of Lean Body mass, not total body weight.

You would probably be fine around 100 gr
  • Josmauri
    Josmauri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat protein at every meal, even snacks. Theres protein in a lot of things, even cheese, beans, etc. I personally only need 110g and am always trying not to go over. You can get it from meat, eggs (egg whites are better), dairy (if allowed), beans, nuts, greek yogurt has 12 g per serving. I would invest in a good protein powder that you would enjoy drinking, most have 25g per serving. Heres what I ate today as my protein sources so you can get an idea: 2 egg whites, 3 slices center cut bacon, 1 slice cheddar cheese, 1 can tuna, 2 chicken sausages, frozen greek yogurt bar, and 1/4 serving protein powder. That all came around to 100 g and I didn't have an excessive amount of eggs or meat. Even things like milk and bread have some protein. Once you start tracking what you eat, you'll see its not too hard to get the protein you need. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can probably get away with a little less than that.

I am a vegetarian and always get over 160g a day. Egg whites, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, seitan, and meat are all good sources. Also, it you need, there is nothing wrong with supplementing with protein powder.
  • Jake137
    Options
    I have been eating well over 240 grams of protein a day now...bulking after a 40 lb loss..remember you can do protein shakes low in sugar a carbs...also remember its spread across the entire day...make this 5-7 meals daily...egg whites, small amounts of nuts, chicken, beans, protein shakes...always use a casein protein at night...don't eat your muscle while you sleep...limit your carbs to right before and directly after working out...the protein part is easy.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    While I'm also "bulking", I regularly consume about 230 grams per day. My diary is open, so feel free to check it out for ideas :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    There's some protein in some other foods not just meat... I get it from milk, eggs, pasta (mince from pasta too) and a protein shake :)
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    250 grams a day is what I eat.

TRY:
    -nuts (not too many cuz they have lots of fat..though it's good fat)
    -chicken
    -tuna
    -cottage cheese
    -beef
    -dairy products
    -eggs
    etc.

A combination of these every day will get you your 150+ grams of protein and will also keep your stomach entertained.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo meat is a lean source of protein. So much for protein for so few calories!