Opinions on this weightlifting regimen (for a beginner)

Options
Hi!

So I'm currently debating whether I should begin Stronglifts or if I should try out these two workouts that my friend "customized" for me. He's been weightlifting for a few years and claims that this program would be better suited for a teenage female like myself, compared to Stronglifts which is more directed towards men (although, yes, I know Stronglifts is used by women as well).
Here are the customized workouts:

14o1xmc.png

Which would be better for a teenage girl (5'9", 178 lbs, and pear-shaped, if that makes a difference...) with no weightlifting experience?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It has been a while since I did routine weight lifting (and it never was my main exercise routine) so I am no expert, but personally I would forget the deadlifts at the beginning, as it is very easy to hurt yourself as a complete beginner. It is the exercise I have seen cause the most back problems to people with zero experience.
  • Phiallis
    Phiallis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, this looks like a very decent routine.
    I don't think there is 'a better one'. Just go with the one you have the most information about (demonstrations/support/ etc.)
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    While In think that he has a solid plan i love the stronglifts program! i do cardio 5 X per week at about 20 to 30 mins a day bc I know its good for my heart and lunges and follow a stronglifts about 4 X per week bc I feel it makes me look good/ feel strong.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I am looking for a routine.

How many times would you do this in a week? and how many sets? start weight?

Thanks! :)
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It has been a while since I did routine weight lifting (and it never was my main exercise routine) so I am no expert, but personally I would forget the deadlifts at the beginning, as it is very easy to hurt yourself as a complete beginner. It is the exercise I have seen cause the most back problems to people with zero experience.

Don't ditch the deadlifts. Deadlifts don't hurt your back, they are actually the best exercises for it, when done properly. Just like its the worse exercises, if you have ****ty form. People get hurt because of there form, not the exercise. A lot of people I see at my gym for example, the very few people that deadlifts, or do any kind of compound lifts, don't do them properly at all. (squats, bench, OHP).

OP, program looks good. If you're a beginner, take the time to read up on the mechanics of all the big lifts, watch videos, post form checks. Don't be afraid of the iron, it's never hurt anyone.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    to be more clear i do strong lifts 4 X per week as in lower body twice (ex squats, sumo deads, straight deads, lunges, leg press, calf raises, etc) and upper body twice ( bench, lats, rows, bi's, tri's, flys, delts, overhead press, etc)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    SL isn't for a man or a woman.

Looks fairly similar to the SL program, but I do like the inclusion of the pull-up and dips.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's not that different, really. Which Is to say that it seems perfectly fine if this is what you want to do. I fail to see the special benefits for a Teenage female tho.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your shape really makes no difference (assuming BF rather than musculature is the 'driver' of your shape currently) and neither does your gender (with a few exceptions).

The custom program looks pretty decent.

What are your goals. Which one do you think you will enjoy more? Is there are plan for progressive loading (e.g.adding weight).?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Imaginary gender issues aside, I like your friend's routine OP. As long as you continue to progressively increase resistance as you adapt, it'll work.

To be clear though, nailing your diet (as in hitting calorie targets and getting adequate protein) will be the more decisive factor in achieving your goals...

Good luck and happy lifting!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

Deadlifts were the very first lift i did as a complete begginer, and it's still my favorite. Form is important, of course, on ALL lifts.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When beginning your journey it does not matter what order or program or skippidy doo da system you do. You will see results in the first 6-8 weeks no matter how you train. The most important part is the training part when it comes to training. Diet is very important, but take on one thing at a time. I know you can do it, just keep it simple. I have been training for many years and have had struggles with addiction and other pitfalls but always found my way back to the iron. The iron does not care if you are man or woman, straight or gay or purple or green. The iron does not think, or care, it is there for you to battle demons and make yourself a champion. There is always something to learn no matter how much you think you know. Even if you get advice from a complete retard like me, atleast you learned what not to do. BTW, I am 38 and I pay a trainer who is 58 and an NPC masters national champion and he tells me he is still learning and there is no magic system or book or skippidy doo da. Now clock in and go to work homegirl.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

She just needs to use proper form, like with any lift.

I've been deadlifting since my first week and it's still my favorite lift.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Your friend doesn't know anything. Stronglifts 5x5 is for humans not men.