How much of life has changed since loosing weight?

Options
Hey All,

How much of your life has changed since you lost weight?

I never had anyone to cheer me on going through the loosing weight process, but I'm so glad I stuck to my guns and continued on! My life feels so much more healthier, I can be the best father I can be n keep up now! It's a great feeling - -But one thing didn't change - - My ego, I'm still the same old guy but with 100 Percent confidence, but still caring and respectful and now living life to the fullest. I know what it used to be like to be overweight and the center of the joke! That was then, this is now. When I see people bully others about being overweight, I stick up for them! It can happen to anyone.

Dec 2012 - Pants Size 50
Dec 2013 - Pants Size 32

Being overweight can be changed with the correct willpower!!

It's great to connect with everyone

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I have never been overweight for long. After surgery, after my pregnancies, etc. But I've always gotten back on that horse.

For me, I have no choice. If I don't stay under a certain weight and keep my exercise and dieting under control I'll die - literally. (diabetes, high BP, high Cholesterol, and already had a heart attack at 35).

I think, eventually, I'll probably do more walking than running but I'll always keep moving.

Good onya to you!! You are doing an awesome job =D
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    For me, I have no choice. If I don't stay under a certain weight and keep my exercise and dieting under control I'll die - literally. (diabetes, high BP, high Cholesterol, and already had a heart attack at 35).

Wow, you've got great motivation to stay healthy! Glad you're still with us!

Even though I gained back some of what I had lost before, I kept the confidence. Some of it may have come with age, and being secure in my marriage, but I feel like a happier, more cheerful person, which is a relief from how I felt during my teenage years/early 20's.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my entire life changed. I've always been pretty assertive and outspoken when I need to get something done. However, I used to have a hard time doing it with confidence when I was obese. I knew people didn't take me nearly as seriously. My personality has come out a lot more. I'm probably actually a little nicer - I've always been nice but I'm not bitter about being fat anymore I guess?

I notice that when I started losing weight - even 50 pounds down (I lost a little over 100 total now) and while I was still a big girl, people started holding doors for me, asking if they could help me, etc. People's attitudes changed completely. When I go out now, people treat me with respect.

I have more energy so I can complete my coursework for school, my work day, playing with my kid etc without feeling worn out halfway through the day.

I found a passion in nutrition so I changed my career and am goign to school to be a Dietitian. I never had the confidence or passion for this before.

I've begun running and being able to be competitve in smaller races (<1000 people... only one that was bigger than that did I place in the top).

My attitude towards myself has changed for the negative though. I beat myself up more because I expect more out of myself. I expect to always have some of thatb ut I'm working to love my body and work to get it to where I want to be. 100 pounds doesn't matter when I still have 30 to go and some toning to work on!

I also suspect that losing the weight saved my life and prevented diabetes and reduced my risk for heart disease, cancer etc.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    A lot. Pretty much every aspect.

I feel so much healthier. My family is a lot healthier.

People are much nicer to me. Men and women. I get a lot of attention from men.

I have more energy.

I would love to go back to school and study nutrition even though i have a bachelors and masters degree in education.

My clothing style has completely changed.

Everyone comes to me for diet and nutrition advice.

Everything has changed and i LOVE it.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my entire life changed. I've always been pretty assertive and outspoken when I need to get something done. However, I used to have a hard time doing it with confidence when I was obese. I knew people didn't take me nearly as seriously. My personality has come out a lot more. I'm probably actually a little nicer - I've always been nice but I'm not bitter about being fat anymore I guess?

I notice that when I started losing weight - even 50 pounds down (I lost a little over 100 total now) and while I was still a big girl, people started holding doors for me, asking if they could help me, etc. People's attitudes changed completely. When I go out now, people treat me with respect.

I have more energy so I can complete my coursework for school, my work day, playing with my kid etc without feeling worn out halfway through the day.

I found a passion in nutrition so I changed my career and am goign to school to be a Dietitian. I never had the confidence or passion for this before.

I've begun running and being able to be competitve in smaller races (<1000 people... only one that was bigger than that did I place in the top).

My attitude towards myself has changed for the negative though. I beat myself up more because I expect more out of myself. I expect to always have some of thatb ut I'm working to love my body and work to get it to where I want to be. 100 pounds doesn't matter when I still have 30 to go and some toning to work on!

I also suspect that losing the weight saved my life and prevented diabetes and reduced my risk for heart disease, cancer etc.

^ This.

And: I'm happy. I like my pictures taken now. And not: "From the neck up, please!". For the first time in my life I know what it feels like to have self esteem. I play with my kids outside now and don't worry about what other people are thinking or saying behind my back. (I shouldn't have cared before...but at almost 300 pounds, I did.) I feel more at ease to by myself. And I'm pretty ridiculous. And silly. And that makes me so happy.

-India
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have not lost a lot of weight, I gained a few pounds over the past couple months but working on getting toned and eating healthy. I just don't feel as dumpy. I felt like I was invisible and people didn't care what I had to say because of my appearance. You get the picture.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have more energy, both mental and physical. I fit into better clothes and find shopping for clothes a fun experience rather than a stressful one. The men who hit on me at bars are better-looking and more socially competent. My personality and my relationships with the people I knew before the weight loss are the same.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    It hasn't.

Your outside doesn't change your inside.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    It hasn't.

Your outside doesn't change your inside.

^ How we feel about our outside may change our inside, though.... (Or let our inside shine out better.)
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i became overweight since grade 5.
    recently i became obese but have lost that weight
    so back to the weight and shape since grade 5
    actully i became hypothyroid
    so for me this weight ( 32 lbs) will i guess make a lot of difference.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Quite a bit. I've lost 66 lb on MFP since March 25, 2013 but my entire "journey" (even though I HATE that term for it) has been going on since 2008 and I have lost 111 lb so far...(from HW 307 to CW 196)

I've gone from 3X tops to XL (non plus) and skintight 22 jeans to slightly baggy 16 jeans.

I weigh less right now at age 37 than I have since I was 15 years old.

My risk of obesity-related health problems has dramatically decreased.

I am no longer morbidly obese and barely obese...I am not afraid of the scale now.

I fit into the world perfectly (cars, booths, chairs with arms, bikes, new styles of clothes, roller coasters, bath tubs, etc)

People no longer treat me with pity because of my size. I'm seen by strangers as "sorta chubby" tall, big, average, even athletic...probably not "that fat lady" even though I'm still somewhat fat I am usually not ever the fattest person at a gathering and not even close to it...I used to be, often.

I finally understand what it means for an item of clothing to be "too big" LOL For years I was fine wearing even 4X tops when I didn't need bigger than a 2X because anything that would hide the fat was flattering in my eye. Now I see that sometimes even a 1X that is too baggy is gonna look equally as terrible as wedging myself into a M.

I feel less apologetic and less nervous about new situations in general. I have somewhat more confidence. I've always been a woman with fairly healthy self-esteem but it has improved in several ways.
  • kdrats64
    kdrats64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Looks like I started about where you did. I had always been a bigger guy but was active when I was younger. Then after marriage and a couple of kids I always had excuses why I could not work out or do something, anything! I started MFP back in Nov 2013 when I was over 330 lbs. I also wore a size 50 pants. In 3 months I have lost 20 pounts and down almost 2 pant sizes. Hopefully as I can continue, I will see some of the same sucess you have!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    That is awesome! Looks like I started about where you did. I had always been a bigger guy but was active when I was younger. Then after marriage and a couple of kids I always had excuses why I could not work out or do something, anything! I started MFP back in Nov 2013 when I was over 330 lbs. I also wore a size 50 pants. In 3 months I have lost 20 pounts and down almost 2 pant sizes. Hopefully as I can continue, I will see some of the same sucess you have!

I am sure you will! Just keep truckin' along!
  • ambience13
    ambience13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another who's entire life has changed to some degree. Back at 135kg, I was very much introverted, friends I rarely ever saw, I wasn't interested in self development, and was rather comfortable sitting at home all day eating away my worries.
    Now, I'm studying again and have almost finished my nursing degree, I'm a volunteer ambulance officer, I have more friends, although I'm still very much introverted as a preference, I guess that's more a personality trait than anything else. I care more about my appearance, I enjoy exercise and eating healthy, and I just seem much more confident about myself and what the future holds really :smile:
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I just love not being the fattest person in every room like I used to be. .

Really though, I don't have to huff going up a flight of stairs, heels are more comfortable. I don't feel the compulsion top stare at the ground while I walk, so I now seem more friendly.

But I don't think I have really changed. I think other people do treat me differently. Like they think that I will forget how they used to ignore me when I was larger. Or like they didn't mind letting the obese girl who could have used their help carry boxes up the stairs or open her own door. But now that I'm smaller I must need help... Yeah.

In a way, I'm grateful for having been morbidly obese. I have 100% confidence that my husband will love and be faithful to me no matter what I look like outwardly, and I know who my true friends are. Sometimes it sucks to be the fat chick, but other times it is so much easier. Silver lining in any weight or size.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    my body is more comfortable to be in ...and too many people want to know me / date me/ sleep with me

it kind of (by kind of I mean really) pisses me off that because im not fat anymore all the sudden im worth something
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    my body is more comfortable to be in ...and too many people want to know me / date me/ sleep with me

it kind of (by kind of I mean really) pisses me off that because im not fat anymore all the sudden im worth something

Yeah...sad how shallow some people can be.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Sometimes it sucks to be the fat chick, but other times it is so much easier. Silver lining in any weight or size.

I agree with this too. When I was much larger I was treated with pity and super-niceness by others especially in the workplace. I was regarded as amazing somehow for being competent at my job, dressing nicely, and being able to lift a tiny box or walk for more than 10 minutes. Now everything is expected of me because I look "normal". It is kind of weird sometimes, I see a lot of free passes I got in life for being fatter.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!