8 inches in 10 weeks?

Options
Hi All,
Just looking for opinions here!
Saturday I started to really freak out! I get married in 12 weeks and the dress I bought still doesn't fit!!!
So I tried it on and it is about 8 inches off zipping up which is A LOT!!!!
I do know that it has been taken in previously by a full size which may give an inch or 2. Other than that I am going to be looking at adding a corset back.
My question is how many inches could I shed and which in your opinions are the best ways/exercises to do so.

Replies

• trollydollymolly
    trollydollymolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the forthcoming wedding.. bet you are SO excited?

8 inches is a hell of lot to lose in a short time span and I don't think it is realistic (that is just my opinion). Not sure how much you have to lose, but why don't you have a restricted cal intake of say 1200 for the period and do exercise too? However much you lose between then and now I hope you have a wonderful day and I bet you will look wonderful.

Sue
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    considering that you cant spot reduce and 8 inches to lose is A LOT in 12 weeks . 8 inches works out to like 3-4 sizes.

get a new dress that fits you NOW and that way you can focus on planning for the wedding. with all the stress of wedding prep, adding having to lose 4 dress size in 12 weeks is just ca-ray-zay.
  • mrscollis91
    mrscollis91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    I don't think I will lose all the weight need to but I am thinking if I can lose what it says at the bottom of my diary (in 5 weeks you could be...) As for me it is pretty much the same everyday then I will be (fingers crossed) some of the way there and a tie back will do the rest hopefully.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you're not doing any strength work: get on that NOW.

If you are: up your weights NOW.

Seriously. You'd be shocked how much your body composition (ie: shape) can change in 12 weeks just by doing that and eating your correct calorie amount (TDEE -20%).

Do a thread search for female heavy lifting results on MFP and you can see.

Also this programme is ace: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you should be able to lose 12-15lbs , but whether that makes up 8 inches from your chest/back, who knows... if you're apple shaped, then its possible i suppose.

what a shame you only gave yourself 12 weeks to plan your wedding, if you'd started a year ago you could have just gone for slow and easy weight loss!
  • mrscollis91
    Options
    Hey!
    I know what an idiot I am! But I suppose its what you do when your stupid and in love haha!
    I will look at the strength training stuff for sure thanks!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Lift weights - That will really help with losing inches from your body!!

I am sure whatever you do - You will look amazing on your wedding day!

Don't stress for the next 12 weeks though - Just eat healthy and workout. Try and log here as accurate as you can and hit your goals/calories intake as close as you can!

Enjoy your special day
  • mrscollis91
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    I am going to take your advise and start to lift weights on top of my cardio.
    I do a couple of kettlebell classes a week which I am looking to ramp up to 4 a week.
    I am not going to stress the woman in the bridal shop has given me 6 weeks to whip my butt into shape before a fitting and starting on the alterations so gonna be mega good, 100% calorie count and workout like mad!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should've bought a dress that fits.
  • LemonJADE
    LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Get a weighted hula hoop! So much fun and it will hopefully help! Just do 10 mins twice a day (or more!) :D
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you should've bought a dress that fits.
    or a time machine.

there's no real healthy way to do this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    I don't think I will lose all the weight need to but I am thinking if I can lose what it says at the bottom of my diary (in 5 weeks you could be...) As for me it is pretty much the same everyday then I will be (fingers crossed) some of the way there and a tie back will do the rest hopefully.

I hate to burst your bubble, but weight loss is rarely linear like that. And as others have said weight loss and inches are two different things. Talk to a good seamstress now and see how many inches they could realistically alter the dress. Do you want to be down to the last weeks and not have a plan if you fail to meet your goal? Unnecessary stress.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I hate to burst your bubble, but weight loss is rarely linear like that. And as others have said weight loss and inches are two different things. Talk to a good seamstress now and see how many inches they could realistically alter the dress. Do you want to be down to the last weeks and not have a plan if you fail to meet your goal? Unnecessary stress.

This. Plus who wants to be squeezed into a dress on an important day like your wedding. Lifting weights is a good idea - but if you're a newbie to weights, you could potentially retain water for muscle repair and not get much smaller. The first few weeks I lifted, my measurements were all over the place. Better to just keep doing what you're doing for 12 weeks and as deks said - get that dress altered NOW!