weightloss while pregnant?

Options
So im trying to get pregnant and i was wondering if anyone has been successful at losing weight SAFELY while pregnant????

Replies

• alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on what your life style and eating habits were before getting pregnant. Alot of women lose at the beginning due to morning sickness etc...

I know by default some women who are regular drinkers will see al weight lose if you are no longer drinking two glasses of red wine at night and then getting the snack (cheese) cravings.

The first 3 months you dont need to add weight/calories to a pregnancy. Just make sure you are taking your pre-natals ( folic acid etc). I have had friends who were obese been told by Dr. and guided by Dr. on dropping a few pounds with sensible dieting at the beginning to avoid other issues near the end, when weight / water piles on.
  • siya145
    Options
    I did not but my best friend did. She ended up being 4-5 lbs less than where she started her pregnancy. She is almost 5'2 and was 172 pre preg and was around 167 when she left the hospital. And another 3-4 in 10days later the usual after we loose the bloating sensation. By the end she said she lost close to 10lbs.
    IMPORTANT : she ate very healthy food cut down on junk food a lot. And did light excercise like walking and some prenatal yoga. I call it light b'coz she did low intensity as she was not physically active earlier. I am very proud of her for taking care of herself this way.

That said I think everybody reacts in a different way and we should eat healthy and listen to what our body says during that time.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You really need to consult a doctor. When pregnant your focus should be on health and nutrition not losing weight. I can say though I am over weight I only gained 20 pounds during each of my four and lost the weight quickly. My focus was health not weight loss.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Like a PP said you need to consult your OB about your weight while pregnant. They could give you an idea of what would be a healthy range of weight for you to gain while pregnant.

It's good that you're getting into the habit now of healthy eating...once I was pregnant I "ate for two" and well, here I am. Also, if you are working out you can continue to while you're pregnant for the most part since your body is used to it. Starting a workout routine once pregnant isn't really a good idea.
  • Angelivh
    Angelivh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while pregnant. I was already overweight and started my 3rd pregnancy at 200 lbs. I lost quite a bit of weight unintentionally due to nausea which lasted until I was 24 weeks along. I ended up dropping down to 184 lbs. After that, I just didn't gain any weight. I wasn't trying to lose weight but I was making more healthy food choices. I also was pretty religious about getting in my daily walks. My OB was fine with me not gaining anything. I ended up giving birth at 184 lbs and weighed in at 164 lbs at my 6 week checkup. Like the others stated, it's something you should discuss with your OB.
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's not good to actively try to lose weight while pregnant by cutting calories. Your baby will need those calories. BUT, if you're over weight, it is possible to "trade" weight. Eat right, don't "eat for two" and take walks/light exercise. Then whatever weight you gain will only be baby weight.

With my first I was 290lbs and was careful with what I ate, and stayed a bit active. I delivered her at 295lbs and she was a 9lb baby... 6wk appt I was down to 265lbs. My second I was 275lbs, ate right, stayed active. I delivered her at 285lbs, 6wks I was 260lbs.

Also, breastfeeding will help you burn up to 500cals a day so worry about "losing" weight after the baby comes... or lose it before getting pregnant.
  • vdobbs28
    vdobbs28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have 3 little boys and with my 3rd, I had gestational diabetes. I saw a dietician to help me. She told me that I could drink as much crystal light as I wanted and I had to count my carbs. But like I said, I was under the supervision of a dietician and my OBGYN. I also walked 30 minutes everyday and in 2-3 months I had lost 20 lbs and weighed less after I had him than before I got pregnant. If I was you, I would consult my Dr.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!