Help! Strength Training/Reducing Body Fat??

Options
Hi, I am looking to lose weight (about 60lbs), reduce my body fat, and tone up at the same time. I have been doing great beginning cardio and am now ready to start the strength training piece. I met with a trainer at my gym but the cost is WAY TOO HIGH.
So, does anyone have a recommendation for a free routine that is: for women, relativley easy to understand and follow, and has variety? I bought into the idea that each time you work a muscle group it should be varied to help get the most results but am at a loss on what to do. Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alex51026
    Options
    If your gym offers Les Mills classes I would recommend Body Pump. Its designed to build lean muscle and increase your metabolism. I combine that with running and other cardio excercises. Its works all of the major muscle groups each class. You can burn upwards of 600 calories per class.

Good luck!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Check out stumptuous.com.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You can literally get dozens of plans on almost any online magazine or fitness site. I like this plan:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

And every couple weeks I bump it up by adding sets, reps or changing out exercises for more difficult ones.

Women's Health and Self all have workouts and pretty much anything that includes a pushup is strength training regimen.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This program is really easy and quick once you get going on it. It is designed for anyone. Many of the example pics in the book are women. Three days a week of three total body weight exercises.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291045508&sr=8-1
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and it's about toning and cardio for only $10. Definetly a great work out for 20 minutes. It works arms, legs, and stomache for a lot less than a trainer.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, while you can gain moderate functional strength while in a caloric deficit, you can't build muscle mass. That means you can train your muscles to be more efficient, utilizing more power from the existing muscles, but you really can't increase the size and power of your muscles beyond their existing limits. The body exists in 2 states, and only one at a time. Catabolism (weight loss) and anabolism (weight gain), there's no middle, and you can't mix both states.

It's just something to be aware of. If you're looking to lose weight, you can't be looking to gain muscle mass as well. that doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing any strength training though. Strength training triggers the body to repair muscle, and tells your body to NOT use muscle mass as energy, it also increases bone density (both very important to "toning").
  • haroldz123
    haroldz123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    youtube contained many fitness video

for time saving: tabata / interval / jovarek conditioning

a cheap heart rate monitor watch (like MIO classic, mio motiva) could provide more motivation as u can target the "fat burning heart rate zone"
  • helengator1
    Options
    Thanks for all the info so far everyone! :happy: I'll be sure to post what I decide to use and the results along the way.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I've picked up the book The New Rules of Lifting: For Women and so far I love it. It has great nutrition information and a very well rounded lifting program. http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I have to disagree with buying a cheap HRM. Save your money, and buy one with a chest strap at least, the one's that are cheap use cheap parts, cheap formulas (they aren't very accurate), and estimation (granted every HRM uses some level of estimation, but the cheap ones assume far more). Save up the 80 or 100 bucks and get a decent HRM, even if you have to wait an extra month or two, it's so worth it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    If your gym offers Les Mills classes I would recommend Body Pump. Its designed to build lean muscle and increase your metabolism. I combine that with running and other cardio excercises. Its works all of the major muscle groups each class. You can burn upwards of 600 calories per class.

Good luck!

I go to pump class and i LOVE IT!!
  • Hi, I am looking to lose weight (about 60lbs), reduce my body fat, and tone up at the same time. I have been doing great beginning cardio and am now ready to start the strength training piece. I met with a trainer at my gym but the cost is WAY TOO HIGH.
    So, does anyone have a recommendation for a free routine that is: for women, relativley easy to understand and follow, and has variety? I bought into the idea that each time you work a muscle group it should be varied to help get the most results but am at a loss on what to do. Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Check out mytrainerbob on youtube, it's Bob Harper from Biggest Loser and he has tons of awesome videos for training a lot of them are free weight training, others core exercises and they work awesome..and are free!! I started using them 2 weeks ago and love it
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if body pump is listed in the exercise database? it would be good to have..