Tall Women with 80+ lbs to Lose

Options
I know there have been plenty of threads surrounding this topic..and trust me, I have dug through them..but some of them are dated from 2 years ago..

SO..I was hoping to see if anyone out there right NOW is struggling with this issue.

I am 6'1" and need to lose 100+ lbs to be at goal weight. Im wearing 20-24 pants depending on the brand. I was HAPPIEST at 200 lbs (still like 30 lbs overweight for the charts)

If you have had success please share your stories/pictures or if you are looking for support you are not the only one so feel free to reach out!

I would really like to see women in the 5'10"+ range as I personally see anything less as average height.

Some struggles I have as a larger/taller Amazonite:

Finding pants that are WIDE enough yet LONG enough in both the legs and waist ( I guess they assume most larger women are shorties?)
Emotional Eating
Eating out of Boredom
Finding work out clothes

I notice weight loss first in my face and waist My hips/belly and arms are the slowest. And it is frustrating. Im also Apple shaped..to add fuel to the fire..:/

I eat around 1800 cals..netting 1200-1400 on workout days. Im happy with this and see the best results with it when i actually stick to it...When I was eating TDEE I was eating 2100 and netting 1800 and was not losing or gaining. With the larger amount to lose..I know I can handle the larger deficit. I don't feel hungry..and I get plenty of protein and keep my carbs to around 150g a day (or try to anyways) I drink upwards of 160oz of water a day (I aim for half my body weight maybe a little less) and the water defin helps! I also try to keep sodium around 2300.

Idk if its because of how tall I am or how quickly I put the weight on..but walking fast and lightly jogging and then LIFTING is about the only fitness I do right now. My knees just can't handle it.

Just looking for fellow tallies who are fighting the good fight or want to share their stories. :drinker:

Thank you.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • AllOnMeWOL
    AllOnMeWOL Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0 tall and still have about 220lbs to lose. Feel free to add me if you like :) I noticed I lose in my face first too.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Options
    I'm 6'0 tall and still have about 220lbs to lose. Feel free to add me if you like :) I noticed I lose in my face first too.

FR sent!

Losing in the face is great but it always leads to people telling me " oh you have such a beautiful face"..then they look at the rest of me..ugh. My height alone scares the beegeezus outta most people.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Options
    Any one else out there in MFP world have success stories or advice for the tall ones?!
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    I'm 6'0' and have lost 50 lbs so far...hoping to lose about 15 more. I have struggled with knee issues and found that spinning/cycling is an amazing low(er) impact workout. I also have found that the stronger I get, the less pain I have in my knees.

The first change was definitely my face slimming down....still working on my belly area.

Clothes are always tough, unfortunately the stores that are kind of expensive seem to accomodate for height. Gap, Banana Republic, Madewell all have Tall sizes. I think The Limited does, too. Victoria's secret actually has Tall size compression/running pants which are amazing! But also expensive :(

I hope this helps! FR me :)
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    OH and American Eagle has Tall size jeans/pants. It makes me feel super old shopping there, but hey, YOLO.
  • bechendrix7
    Options
    I am 5'10 with about 80 lbs to lose... feel free to add me! I am still playing with my calories and trying to find the magic number to lose consistently. I am also bigger framed, will never be petite... Seems everything i find is for what they call the average women!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm not as tall as you (5'8"), but I'm 88 pounds into a 100 pound (ish) loss. H&M seems to work for clothes when I can get to the closest one, otherwise all my long-sleeved shirts and pants look like I'm a teenaged boy who just had a growth spurt!

I found I didn't need to watch my macros, just general intake. And that I lose in my arms, legs and face before anything else. :)

245/250
    8898029076_9aef60f49d.jpg

About 2 weeks ago at 155
    12481144533_43ba7f5c0b.jpg
  • catchtheislands
    catchtheislands Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am between 6' and 5'10 around 100 to lose if you believe the thingy. Holy hell how did that happen?
    I have tried everything and it just kept packing on.
    Then-I got the old heartrate monitor for Xmas in early December.
    I have been exercising at least once a day for 20 minutes since December and I hadn't lost a thing.
    I chit you not!
    ^&($%^*)(_*)(!!!!!

I tried balancing carbs and fats and proteins and eating small meals every three hours. natural whole foods. I did not work for me.
    By balanced I mean brown rice, spinach veggies and a lean meat in a small 250 calorie portion.

I know its supposed to work. I know it works for everyone, but it didn't work for me.

Yes I realize you gain weight then lose but my measurements were not changing.
    I was even riding the bike 7 miles and walking, nothing.
    I do Total Gym. Nothing.
    My measurements are exactly the same they were before I started.

I know you aren't supposed to live by the scale, but when I tucked it away in the laundry room my *kitten* got the size of Texas and I ended up here.
    So...
    I do daily weigh ins, in the morning. It says 266 to 271 which is the same thing it has said for 2 months.

I think I just shredded my metabolism.
    Almost 40.
    ALmost 40%$^#$%^(&*^*()&&*(

So this week I am just doing protein shakes every three hours to keep from further destroying my metabolism, snacking on pickles and olives, natural nut butters and natural nut crackers for ferment and taste, and having a well balanced meal at night. or lunch.

Also doing 20 mins 70% HR cardio and HIT sprint cardio.
    I will let you know how that goes LOL

I don't know what else to do.
    The regular stuff doesn't work for me.

Now I am almost 40 and I had a sedentary lifestyle with a high stress job.
    I canned the job and am MUCH less stressed.
    I also drank. Maybe 2-6 drinks a day for a while. Very stressed.
    I don't do that anymore.
    I might have two drinks a week. On occasion I go overboard but usually a holiday or special occasion.
    I am afraid that I destroyed my metabolism.

I wish I knew how long I have to push before something breaks and it starts coming off.

I don't even have kids as an excuse. My BF came with a 2 and a 4 year old, but I didn't birth them and I can't blame them for my *kitten* fat.

Very frustrating.
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Join groups! I'm in a tall girls group and one for people trying to lose 50+ pounds. Also you can add me if you want, I'm 5' 10" and I'm trying to lose about 55 pounds, then I'll reassess. I've lost about 13 pounds since 1/07 and I'm doing a low carb, high fat diet.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    kelseypalmer1614 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3, so I definitely feel some of your problems! Feel free to add me :)

At this point I've got about 35 lbs left to lose.

Anyone have knee problems? I've had several, mostly with my patella tendon, but I was wondering if that was just all the sports, or a common tall-girl problem.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    Options
    OH and American Eagle has Tall size jeans/pants. It makes me feel super old shopping there, but hey, YOLO.

Do you know what the inseam is for their "tall" sizes? Usually the talls are still to short for me at most stores lol.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, and need to lose around 80 pounds. It's so frustrating to keep working so hard, and not see much difference.

I have had trouble with my knees as well. I tore my ACL in my right knee skiing years ago, and then tore the meniscus in the left knee about 4 years ago. I think if i could take some weight off my frame, my knees wouldn't hurt as much.

Speaking of trying to find workout clothes...I had the most frustrating time last week! I have a pair of calf-length leggings for running (I am currently doing a run/walk training program for a half marathon) but I just needed some stupid shorts to go over them. I looked EVERYWHERE. They just don't make athletic shorts for someone size 18. Has anyone found a reliable source? I am VERY pear shaped, and my legs are super thick.

Don't even get me started on pants that are too short. I have had great luck ordering the tall sizes from Eddie Bauer.
  • acekay65
    Options
    I'm 6ft tall and have a goal of losing 80 lbs too! Started at 270 lbs.
    I have been working out for a full month, mostly Zumba classes at my gym (which I love)!
    I am 48 years old and I realize it takes longer to see results :( so I am working on my patience but am feeling better and know I am healthier already.

Alloy (Alloy.com) has tall pants/jeans - they do cater to the young, but sell up to 37" inseams! The jeans/pants are mostly low/mid rise but I have some that have great stretch and work just fine - trial and error!
    I am addicted to my Victoria Secret Tall Yoga pants - they are about 36" inseam.
    JC Penny online sells talls and ultra talls too.
  • gobigred5898
    gobigred5898 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11' (at least I was) and have 80 pounds to lose. I've lost around 15 so far.

I'm a pear shape as well and have a tough time finding ANY bottoms that fit a large heiney and a 'small' waist. Also, what's the deal with sleeves? Why do clothes designers assume that when you get large that it's only in your chest/stomach and that your arms stay skinny? And don't even get me started on the length...if a shirt fits my chest and upper arms but the sleeves are too short I just resort to rolling them up.

I have been having issues lately with my knees, too, but haven't had enough trouble to seek medical help. I just figured that when I lost the weight that the problem would just magically go away. :-)

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm currently in a Christian Book Study group. We're all doing an online study through Proverbs31 on the book 'Made to Crave' by Lysa TerKeurst. It's been a big help.
  • acekay65
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!
  • gobigred5898
    gobigred5898 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba too!

I think it's funny to see all of us 50+ girls shaking it like the 20 somethings. Sometimes we get to laughing so hard that we pee ourselves!
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I'm 5'11" and I've lost 113 pounds and I still have another 40-50 to go...I work out, diet, play sports and stay as active as possible!
  • bg192905
    bg192905 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and I have 100lbs to lose. I started at 319. I am now 306 until weigh in tomorrow!! :wink: The more friends on this journey the better. I have joined a bootcamp and I am doing the C25K. So far so good. I get really annoyed with packing lunches for myself and my husband. Thats my struggle right now. Meal planning...:ohwell:
  • kelseypalmer1614
    Options
    I'm 6ft tall and have a goal of losing 80 lbs too! Started at 270 lbs.
    I have been working out for a full month, mostly Zumba classes at my gym (which I love)!
    I am 48 years old and I realize it takes longer to see results :( so I am working on my patience but am feeling better and know I am healthier already.

Alloy (Alloy.com) has tall pants/jeans - they do cater to the young, but sell up to 37" inseams! The jeans/pants are mostly low/mid rise but I have some that have great stretch and work just fine - trial and error!
    I am addicted to my Victoria Secret Tall Yoga pants - they are about 36" inseam.
    JC Penny online sells talls and ultra talls too.

Recently, they went up to 39" inseam on some of their pants!!