cardio and strength training

Options
Ok on my way to the gym in a few I need to know can I do cardio first then strength training or strength first?

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    You do what you value most first.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always feel like it's more polite to do strength first, so you don't get the weight benches all sweaty. It probably doesn't really matter though.
  • helenab13
    Options
    I always like to get the cardio done first because its harder to do when your muscles are sore from weights. I think that the cardio also helps to "warm up" your muscles for better lifting. :smile:
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule is strength first, but...

As the poster above said do what you value more. Also do whatever you can do at that time. I workout at home. I don't want to crank my stereo and have the sound of banging plates at 6AM and disturb my neighbors, so I usually run first. Plus I have specific goals for my runs, so I feel my performance on them is more important.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    always try to do strength first. cardio depletes energy stores that would be more useful with strength training. lower energy levels lead to breakdown in form and potential injuries. this is just my take on it....
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Generally accepted to do strength training first as either can deplete glycogen in muscles, but strength training really needs that glycogen, while it's less important for cardio.

If you're doing high intensity cardio and really want to focus on this, it might be better to swap them around.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Ok on my way to the gym in a few I need to know can I do cardio first then strength training or strength first?

I do strength first because I don't want to lift after I'm tired from a cardio workout.
  • LadyYoga1
    LadyYoga1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for responding!
  • LadyYoga1
    Options
    Thanks that make since being more polite!
  • LadyYoga1
    Options
    Great thanks for responding!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If strength training is my main workout and I'm focusing on strength and/or bulk, I'll do some light cardio and stretching for a warm up.

If I'm trying to just lose weight, I'll do my cardio first and then strength train. Most people say to generally do strength first, but I just can't do much cardio after a good strength workout.
  • LadyYoga1
    Options
    thanks so much for all the info!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    always try to do strength first. cardio depletes energy stores that would be more useful with strength training. lower energy levels lead to breakdown in form and potential injuries. this is just my take on it....

^^ This. Particularly if you are doing complex movements, you don't want yourself worn out before you do them. That's just inviting injury.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yep, this. And FWIW, this is what the Air Force preaches during PT sessions too. We do the bodyweight exercises BEFORE our runs.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    If you do both on the same day.. I warm up light with some cardio for a few mins to get the muscles warm. I do strength followed by cardio. I can't do cardio then do strength after. Way too fatigued.