Too Few Calories?

Hiya all...

First post, although I've been reading others.... Only been on the site for about a month or so... I find it very helpful in keeping track of things (even though I still write everything down in a notebook, this is the best site I've found for finding foods and calorie counts)...

A little about me... 5'2", currently 232 pounds (started on 1/6/14 at 242.6)... I've started by just cutting calories.... My current calorie goal is 1,250 (set by me, MFP wanted 1,200 even)... and I'm not necessarily eating healthier (a little bit, I did switch to mostly water only), but just counting calories....

Now, I've seen so many different options as far as how many calories you should eat (I was going for 2 pounds a week)... I haven't added in exercise yet (although I plan to either this or next week), but I've done a pretty good job of sticking to my daily calories...

So here's my question, that prompted me to break my silence on this board.... So yesterday I went to see my doctor (I call her my doctor, but I've only seen this doctor twice before - I never got a new family doctor since moving (so hadn't seen one in like 10 years, finally had to see one last year, so I picked her)... I like her, she seems nice enough... I figured they always say you should see your doctor before exercising and dieting, so even though I've already been dieting, I wanted to see her at least before I started exercising (I've had issues in the past) and maybe to confirm if I was eating enough calories (Jillian Michaels site suggested 1,600 calories for me, but my sister convinced me 1200 was where I should be)..

My doctor yesterday, along with suggesting what exercise she thinks I should do, told me 1,200 calories was a good place to be (which surprised me)... and she even said that going under 1,200 calories was ok... And finally, she said that when I do start exercising, I don't have to make up those calories, because the point is weight loss, so still eat less calories when I start working out...

I'll admit, I was surprised... because I've read that as you lose weight you may need to adjust your calories, and from everything I've seen online, and even on this site (it warns me if I'm below 1,200), it sounds like you shouldn't go under 1,200 calories per day (for a woman).... And now my doc is saying it's fine to be below that...

I'm torn between listening to my doctor, and believing everything I've read online... Granted, some of the other things, where you'll find differing opinions online for, I can believe whatever she tells me... but the less than 1,200 calorie thing really surprised me, and has me worried....

Opinions? Should I just follow her advice, stay at 1,250 (which, I allow myself sometimes to go up to 1,300 if I need to), but allow myself days where I'm under 1,200 (despite MFP warnings on my Food Diary)? Am I just being paranoid?

Bear in mind, I started this all off at 250 pounds... and although it looks like I've lost 18 pounds, since I started on 1/6/14, I really only see myself as losing about 10 pounds (from when I first weighed myself at 242.6 on 1/6/14)... So it might seem like I've lost more than I have... My goal is 2 pounds a week, and I've just about averaged that (some weeks better than others)...

Just wanted to get a second opinion from the community... I apologize for writing a book (perhaps that's why I DON'T post a lot, because I write too much (quiet in real life, though - shocker!)... Thanks to anyone who made it this far down the post... Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions... am I worrying too much (I do that)....

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Most doctors know virtually nothing about nutrition, dieting, and fitness. And even if yours did, it's one person's opinion. Discussing the difference between eating 1200 calories and 1250 for weight loss is pointless, since at your size you'll lose weight doing both.

You could likely lose weight eating 1600 calories and eating your exercise calories, but that's up to you. Go with your gut instinct and don't listen to your doctor's recommendation of eating 1200 and not eating exercise calories. You know what road that will take you down (besides the fact that it sounds completely miserable).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    As you're obese you have more leeway to run with a high calorie deficit for at least a while. 1200 calories of food is adequate nutrition according to some revered institution, so I would listen to your doctor who has the advantage of having seen you in person.

You'll get at least 5 different approaches suggested here, so unless you use an opinion poll I doubt it'll help your decision making. Good luck.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    My doctor said I should just eat 500 cal a day and run to lose weight. I think she might be out of touch with reality. There is no way in hell I could stick to a 500 cal diet long term. And that's the point. There are ways to drop a lot of weight fast that according to a doctor are just fine, but that doesn't make it a sustainable lifestyle. I'm much happier, and so far more successful with a generous calorie alottment. But hey, if you want to do under 1200, your doc says its fine, go for it. I'd get too hangry and binge.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Hiya all...

Thanks for sharing your question! I used this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and put in the info you gave us. The calculator estimates that your BMR is 1695 and your TDEE (I used light activity) is 2331 -- TDEE is the total number of calories your body uses every day. What these numbers mean is if you eat under 2331 total calories per day, you will lose weight. Many people would say to always eat at least your BMR in total calories every day. But when you are 100 lbs or so overweight, you can fudge a tiny bit on that number without jeopardizing much, in my opinion. In my experience, a caloric deficit of greater than 1000 calories is counterproductive to happy, healthy weight loss.

So if it were me, and you were my friend coming to me for advice, I'd suggest eating about 1350 calories every day (a little more maybe, if you exercise more than 3 times a week). And if you find yourself kinda cranky or you find yourself binging at night from hunger after a couple weeks, then ease the total calories up a little if you want. You need enough fat, carbs and protein to keep your hormones and nerves functioning. Anything up to a total of 1700 every day or so would still give you a pound of weightloss per week for now. And a pound a week is nothing to scoff at :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Most doctors don't know a lot about these issues. They aren't trained in it...but ought to be!
    I think following MFP for a while with good healthy success is the way to go. And then, bring that info to your doctor...she can learn too! And pass it on to her next patient.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Depending on what your end goal is 1200 is too little. You said you started at 242...if your goal is over 100lbs then 2lbs a week is okay but you could go with 1 1/2 or 1 lb a week and not be at such a low number. 1200 isn't "bad" but people often find they can't stick to such a low number, binge, feel guilty, give up. If you allow for more food while losing weight faster you have a better chance at being successful.

As well MFP is setup so you do eat exercise calories back as the calorie deficet is already in your daily goal.

I have a lot of family members who are doctors and they have all told me...they are not qualified to give advice on diet, nutrion etc as the courses they took during university and medical school did not cover evern 5%...only a registered dietician who stays current should be giving advice on nutrion and diet.

Not even a nutrionalist which takes an 8 week online course to get that certificate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

So here's my question, that prompted me to break my silence on this board.... So yesterday I went to see my doctor (I call her my doctor, but I've only seen this doctor twice before - I never got a new family doctor since moving (so hadn't seen one in like 10 years, finally had to see one last year, so I picked her)... I like her, she seems nice enough... I figured they always say you should see your doctor before exercising and dieting, so even though I've already been dieting, I wanted to see her at least before I started exercising (I've had issues in the past) and maybe to confirm if I was eating enough calories (Jillian Michaels site suggested 1,600 calories for me, but my sister convinced me 1200 was where I should be)..

So if the JM program suggested 1600, why don't you try to give that a short first. Also, does it mention macronutrients because adequate proteins and fats are very beneficial to satiety and protein helps with muscle retention. I generally like macros around 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fats as 90% of the time, i see this allow a person to hit 1g of protein and .35g of fats per lb of lean body mass.

Just make sure you get a food scale, so you can be accurate with your food calculations.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    1200 seems way too little for what you have to lose.
  • psuLemon
    One last thing, you also have to ask yourself what you can sustain. Will you be more diet compliant at 1200 calories or 1600 calories? My problem with 1200 calories is its generally too low for most people and those who go aggressive from day one tend to binge or hurt progress. An additional 400 calories, while weight loss might be slower, will increase diet compliance and adherence. Meaning, long term, it will be much easier to sustain. Heck, for many people, that is an extra meal. Also, more calories allow you more room to get your macro and micro nutrient goals.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    TL;DR
  • psuLemon
    TL;DR

Then why even bother posting?
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Most doctors know virtually nothing about nutrition, dieting, and fitness. And even if yours did, it's one person's opinion. Discussing the difference between eating 1200 calories and 1250 for weight loss is pointless, since at your size you'll lose weight doing both.

Having taught nutrition to medical students I will absolutely back up this comment. Where I'm from they get 20 hours of nutrition training during six years of medical training, and the majority of them are 19 years old and see it as an easy subject that they don't need to study when they have more important things like biochemistry to learn 'instead'.
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    My humble advice would be to start around 1500 or 1600. You will lose weight at 1200 but it will be hard to hit that everyday and you might give up. At 1500 you should start to lose and it will be easier for you to maintain. Once you get the hang of nutrition and exercising you can go lower if you feel comfortable. I lost 55 lbs hovering around the 1300 mark but then had to give myself a break and gained 10 back. I've still lost 45 lbs but I'm starting over to lose the last 30 and taking a slower approach.
  • my sister is 5 foot 4 and is on 1,400 cals a day , she started on 1,250 but found it wasnt enough for her , personally i think if your comfy and are getting enough food at between 1,200-1,300 then stick with this , if u feel hungry then go over abit when u need too .
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I say eat higher than 1200, because starting off at 1200 (regardless of all the medical/metabolism reasons you're going to get here) may leave you so hungry it's unsustainable. A lot of people start off eating a lot lower than they're used to and start bingeing or can't stick with it because they're tired of being hungry and feeling deprived.

Start off slow. Maybe eating 1600 calories a day and then half of your exercise calories back? Or you can eat them all back, or you can eat none back (assuming you don't net too low). Calculating TDEE from one of the links provided in another post is a good way to find out how much you burn, and then eat less calories depending on how quickly (within reason) you want to lose. It all depends on what works for you, and what will make this a healthy, sustainable weight loss approach.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    I started at 246 @1200 cals until I lost the first 25-30lbs. I did light exercising and did not eat back calories.

When I upped my exercising I upped my calories to between 1200-1400.

At the half way point I have once again upped the intensity of my exercising and upped my calories to between 1400-1600.

I have been averaging 2lb weight loss per week. I suspect it will slow down now but I am okay with that since fitness is now my main focus.

I admit...at 1200...there were days that it wasn't enough...I was hungry...but I survived it...got the initial weight loss...with no ill side affects.

This has worked for me...not once since I started have I been tempted to give up...

I listen to what my body is telling me...it has been fairly good to let me know if I need to eat more.

Good luck...
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    TL;DR

TS;NEC

Too short...not enough content
  • KCGAK
    KCGAK Posts: 1 Member
    I would suggest the 1200 calorie goal and reward yourself by exercising with eating your exercise calories. When you get closer to your goal you may not be able to eat those exercise calories, but for now you will be rewarding yourself for exercising by eating a little bit more. Make sure you still eat healthy, tho.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I'm a Family Practice doctor with a master's in nutrition. I am only 61" and I'm eating 1200 calories a day, plus exercise calories. If a do a lot of exercise, then I eat half my exercise calories. At 49 yo, this is very sustainable for me and still allows a reasonable weight loss. I'm doing even better than when I tried WW and ate the minimum amount of points, plus skipping the bonus points.
    However, I do believe that if I were 10-20 years younger and working multiple jobs like I used to do, that I could easily eat an extra 300-500 calories and still lose, especially since I was able to do more vigorous types of exercise before I developed joint disease.
    I would base things on hunger and rate of weight loss for a few weeks and see how things shake out. Make sure to include a little extra fat,fiber and protein than you might be used to eating. These nutrients really help to satisfy you for longer.
    I often eat pecans or a piece of fattening cheese ( I like Brie) for a snack. Measured and or weighed, of course.
    I think the video " 10 things you need to do to lose weight" is quite useful.
  • I think the reason why your doctor took that approach is because getting the weight off is one of the single best things you can do for your health. However, they don't consider how you will feel during the times you are only eating 1200-1300 calories a day, or whether or not you will end up binging because you're eating too little most of the time.

I am 187 right now (10 lbs down!) and tried the 1200 cal diet for a few days and wow, was I in a crap mood. Tired, crabby, unpleasant to be around. I was trying not to eat back calories either (stupid). Although I do think MFP overestimates calorie burn, so watch out for that if you choose the 'eat back calories' method.

Currently I'm doing 1600 per day give or take, including 3 days of moderate exercise, and doing great. I did a lot of the online calculators for BMR, TDEE, and this has helped me a ton! I am happy, not starving, feel full after meals, and not losing my hair.

Nothing wrong with trying out 1300 for a bit and seeing how you feel, but if you don't feel right, bump it up a little bit. Especially if you are incorporating exercise, you need to have enough calories just to feel normal.

Good luck and congrats on your achievements so far :smile: