Women with PCOS, Insulin Resistance & Hypoglycemia?

Options
Hey Poly cysters ;) I just started Glumetza 1000mg X2 a day for my insulin resistance due to PCOS. I am having hypoglycemic episodes, most often after I eat, this is new to me. I never had these symptoms when I tried other forms of Metformin (but discontinued due to the stomach issues) I talked to my Dr and he reassured me that I should not be worried, it's not the medication but my body's reaction to newly responding to insulin. Apparently it's common to see for people who start glumetza for several weeks of consistent medication. Has anyone else had this issue? Anything you do to help these episodes? They were worrisome for me, they're pretty bad- it's that same awful feeling before blacking out when getting blood drawn (heart racing, nausea, sweating, dizziness, light headedness, and the black spots). Any ideas to help this?

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with that drug, but I'm an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. I have had several hypoglycemic episodes, mostly while working out. I always carry a snack with me that has carbs and protein. As soon as I start to get dizzy, I sit down, eat the snack and drink some water. Usually within 15 minutes or so I'm back to normal. I assume the same trick would work for your reaction.
  • bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am not on glumetza... Currently taking glucophage.... But that didn't sound like a typical side effect to me, especially if you are experiencing it right after eating. I looked it up on WebMD and it says
    "Metformin [glumetza] does not usually cause low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Low blood sugar may occur if this drug is prescribed with other anti-diabetic medications. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about whether the dose of your other diabetic medication(s) needs to be lowered.
    Symptoms of low blood sugar include sudden sweating, shaking, fast heartbeat, hunger, blurred vision, dizziness, or tingling hands/feet. It is a good habit to carry glucose tablets or gel to treat low blood sugar. If you don't have these reliable forms of glucose, rapidly raise your blood sugar by eating a quick source of sugar such as table sugar, honey, or candy, or drink fruit juice or non-diet soda. Tell your doctor about the reaction immediately. Low blood sugar is more likely if you drink large amounts of alcohol, do unusually heavy exercise, or do not consume enough calories from food. To help prevent low blood sugar, eat meals on a regular schedule, and do not skip meals. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to find out what you should do if you miss a meal.
    Symptoms of high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) include thirst, increased urination, confusion, drowsiness, flushing, rapid breathing, and fruity breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor immediately. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication(s)."

If it were me, I'd try to get a second opinion rather than taking the first doctors word on it. Probably not something you want to mess around with.
  • Buggs13QH
    Buggs13QH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl, try listening to these ladies.

www.weightandwellness.com, they have a radio show you can down load to your ipod and filter for PCOS! Awesome.

They talk about food and how to balance your diet to prevent such things. It can't hurt and can only help. I've been having episodes while I have been trying to get my diet under control too. Its so odd, but it is working. I have an article I will work on getting you too. The dag-gone site it locked up, ugh. So don't try them yet.

Good luck..
  • Buggs13QH
    Options
    THIS is the article!!

http://www.weightandwellness.com/resources/articles-and-videos/weight-management-metabolism/the-secret-to-weight-loss-good-nutrition/

Also their radio show (FREE Podcast) is motivating and cannot stress it enough!
    iPod capabilities so you can listen while you drive. OR CLEAN! Or lift weights or ride horses or make dinner!
  • Buggs13QH
    Options
    JAN 19, 2014 a whole 45min talking about PCOS on their radio show, real recent.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hey Poly cysters ;) I just started Glumetza 1000mg X2 a day for my insulin resistance due to PCOS. I am having hypoglycemic episodes, most often after I eat, this is new to me. I never had these symptoms when I tried other forms of Metformin (but discontinued due to the stomach issues) I talked to my Dr and he reassured me that I should not be worried, it's not the medication but my body's reaction to newly responding to insulin. Apparently it's common to see for people who start glumetza for several weeks of consistent medication. Has anyone else had this issue? Anything you do to help these episodes? They were worrisome for me, they're pretty bad- it's that same awful feeling before blacking out when getting blood drawn (heart racing, nausea, sweating, dizziness, light headedness, and the black spots). Any ideas to help this?

Hypoglycemic episodes after eating is called reactive hypoglycemia. I have reactive hypoglycemia and it is extremely frustrating and one of the most difficult things to live with.

I also have insulin resistance. Insulin resistance causes reactive hypoglycemia. I take Metformin (the extended release version). I started taking the Hcl version but after a while it was too hard on my stomach and I was rushing to the bathroom immediately after taking it. The XR version is much much easier on the stomach because it is released throughout the day- not all at once. My hypoglycemia was much better on the Hcl version but I can't deal with the constant diarrhea as I already suffer from IBD.

2000 mg a day for insulin resistance is a high dosage. Usually 1500 mg is enough. My endocrinologist won't let me take more than 1000 mg because of my hypoglycemia. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about decreasing the dosage and see if this helps with the hypo episodes.

How low are you dropping? I can go from 130 to 40 (actual low blood sugar) in a matter of 45 minutes. Or I can go from 190 to 100 in a matter of 45 minutes but still feel hypo. This is because I am dropping so quickly. When you have insulin resistance, your pancreas produces too much insulin. As a result it causes blood sugar to spike high and plummet quickly.

My dietician recommends 30-45 g carbs per meal and 15-30 g carbs per snack. I have to eat protein with every meal and snack, as should every person with insulin resistance and hypoglycemia.

How many carbs do you eat per meal? Per day? What kind of carbs do you eat?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    THIS is the article!!

http://www.weightandwellness.com/resources/articles-and-videos/weight-management-metabolism/the-secret-to-weight-loss-good-nutrition/

Also their radio show (FREE Podcast) is motivating and cannot stress it enough!
    iPod capabilities so you can listen while you drive. OR CLEAN! Or lift weights or ride horses or make dinner!

Read the article, and laughed because very similar to what I've been doing since October. 90-110g of protein per day, 110-130g of carbs per day and the rest fat. For most weeks it works out to about 40% of calories from protein, 35% from carbs and 25% from fat. I find if I focus on getting that much protein, the rest tend to fall into line if I want to stay within my calorie goals.