I need help getting back on the wagon!

Options
I fell of the wagon and need help getting back on! I need some recipe ideas with nutrition factors. That is what I have been struggling with the most. What to make for dinner for me and the family. I'm also having a hard time getting back into running on the treadmill! Any info that might help me get motivated on the exercise and help with a food log for the day. Just need a little push and again and Ideas. My pants are way to tight today :sad:

Replies

• rolypoly1
    Options
    I hear you, and it is hard now winter is here. I find since the time change it has been harder and I too have fallen off the wagon. As for meals for your family, stir frys are fast and healthy with lots of vegetables and brown rice. Make your own spaghetti with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, garlic, spices, and lots of vegetables and drain the beef to get the fat out. Homemade soups with biscuits are warm and nutritious. Homemade is so much easier, cheaper and healthier than processed. You control what you put in and there are no chemicals or preservatives. Try a lentil dish once a week, they are quite yummy!!
  • asherid
    Options
    Oops, I posted in the wrong spot. Lets try again.:explode:
  • asherid
    Options
    Oh thank you! I'm still trying to find the right pages on here and get used to the website. I finally made homemade peanut butter and it was very good! Do you have a recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce? I would love to try to make that! If not no big deal, I can experiment with it !!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Recipe for a simple spaghetti sauce. I don't know how many people you cook for so here goes. Mine is for 2 to 4 people

Hunt's tomato sauce 2-12oz cans or if you have time and find good tomatoes 8 good sized skinned and boiled down
    Brown Sugar - to taste - I use about 1/4 cup packed.
    Olive oil - 1 tbs.
    garlic powder - to taste
    fresh ground black pepper
    you can do red peppers or onions if you like them. Just saute for a bit
    Cook for about an hour or so. Longer if you like a thicker sauce.

Some times I brown up 1/2 lean burger or Saute a few shrimp to toss in.
  • MommyOfThree260
    Options
    Recipe Ideas with nutrition information: 3fatchicks.com and then go under food, then click on diet recipes. I LOVE that website! Has a ton of ideas under any food category you can think of! Hope it helps....
  • asherid
    Options
    That sounds so yummy! Thank you so much for the info! Do you think you could make it in the slow cooker for while I am at work? Just curious!
  • effthisdiet
    Options
    SparkRecipes.com is AMAZING too. Try picking up some ground turkey, lettuce, light cheese, and make a taco salad. Super easy, filling, and nutritious.

AllRecipes.com is also amazing. Do a search for Healthy Recipes and you can narrow it down to low calorie, low fat, low carb, etc.

But most of all, don't give up! :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I make almost everything from scratch. Once you start making homemade tomato sauce you will never go back!

I make it one of 2 ways, if it is not summer I use canned tomatoes, in summer I use fresh.

winter sauce:
    1 large can of tomatoes (I read labels and get the one with the least sodium)
    1 chopped onion
    1 head of garlic
    1 bunch of fresh basil
    salt and pepper
    **simmer in a pot (really low-only about 2 out of 10) with a tight fitting lid for at least 2 hours. Let cool and add in another bunch of fresh basil, blend in a blender until smooth.

In summer I cut fresh tomatoes in 1/2, scoop out the seeds and replace with a few pieces of garlic, salt and pepper them and bake in a low oven (250 degrees) for an hour, then blend them and make the sauce as above.

As for dinners . . . we almost have the same things each week . . . one night we make soft tacos with ground turkey or chicken, two nights we eat fish or seafood with 1 cup of steamed veggy and 1/4 cup brown rice or whole wheat couscous, and the other 4 nights we make either chicken breasts, or boneless skinless chicken thighs and different steamed veggies. I use LOTS of herbs and spices so even though we eat a lot of chicken breasts they taste different each time.