Ants!

Options
LeGaCyGiAnT124
LeGaCyGiAnT124 Posts: 158 Member
How do you get rid of them?

Our house is clean. They started showing yesterday evening. They go on our kitchen counter top, in our dishwasher, and on our cupboard doors. They are the little tiny black ants. I don't understand where they came from? Our house is clean again like I said.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Replies

• DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine plugging holes with toothpaste......

Wasn't my apartment, I didn't give a rat's patoot.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    Options
    I can't even find out where they are coming from though. They are all scattered. When I kill the ones I see, there are more that appear within a half hour. Where could their nest possible be? It doesn't seem like they have a set pattern, they are just running around!
  • hip_hippo
    Options
    You should try leaving little piles of sugar mixed with baking soda around for a week or so what happenes if they eat it and they bring some back for the queen. After they eat it the baking soda expands in their stomach and they die.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Set a lure. If you set a food out and watch, they will come to it in a formed line to collect and take back to their home.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    you can buy special bates that dont kill them straight away but let them go back to their nest and infect the rest and then it kills all of them not just the ones you catch out
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use the vinegar method
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    Options
    I will have to try some of the suggestions. So basically the ants are out scavenging for food anywhere they can find? I will have to try some of these. Wouldn't their nest be made out of dirt? I wonder if they are in the crawl space under the house and climbing up in because of it being so cold?
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I read something that I will try out this summer, mix even amounts of powder sugar and baking powder. put it in a corner where you won't spread it out accidently, apparently they can't seperate or distinguish the powder sugar from the baking powder. When they eat the baking powder it causes gas and since they can't evacuate it, they die.
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We had major ant issue last summer. I tried a few different products that all sucked. Tried these and BAM they were gone in 2 days.

http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=TER-T300&src=froogle&kw=TER-T300

I used the outdoor ones inside too and it worked fine. Good luck!
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    note the ants we were fighting were the big black carpenter ants (that play dead, who'da known?!)
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I happened to already have tee tree oil diluted with water in a spray bottle from when my daughter had lice.
    I noticed ants in my bathroom one night and used that to spray them. I just sprayed from the back door to the bathroom trash and took the trash outside. I went to bed and when I woke up they were gone. A couple ant casualties here and there but they just disappeared. I would highly recommend it. But if you have animals it could upset their tummy if they lick it so I would research it more.

Good luck! Ants suck!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Spray them with vinegar/water or feed them corn meal (they can't digest it and they die) are good natural choices.

Or a hand grenade.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Clean all surfaces with white vinegar. It breaks up their scent trail. Also, Terro works wonders. I put a few drops on business cards and lay them around where the ants are coming in. If you have pets/children, don't leave the Terro where it can be reached. It contains borax and is toxic. Also, try and follow them back if you see a trail of them to figure our where they're coming in. We're battling ants right now. It got better when the temps cooled off, but now that it's warm again they're back in full force. Damn buggers are living in our walls. Our freaking WALLS. :grumble:
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    Options
    Clean all surfaces with white vinegar. It breaks up their scent trail. Also, Terro works wonders. I put a few drops on business cards and lay them around where the ants are coming in. If you have pets/children, don't leave the Terro where it can be reached. It contains borax and is toxic. Also, try and follow them back if you see a trail of them to figure our where they're coming in. We're battling ants right now. It got better when the temps cooled off, but now that it's warm again they're back in full force. Damn buggers are living in our walls. Our freaking WALLS. :grumble:

I am wondering if that's where ours are. When we first moved in, they were over on the opposite side of the kitchen coming out from the wood trim on the floor. We bleached the floor and over a few days it killed them. Now somehow they are on the opposite side of the kitchen?