your favorite unconventional workouts

Options
I have the attention span of a rodent. As such I like to keep my exercise routine unconventional. What do the members of MFP say is their favorite exercises or hobbies to burn off excess calories?

One of my goals when I reach my goal weights is to get into aerial silks and hoops. Right now I do a lot of dancing (being a designated driver isn't all that bad when you look at a club as your gym), hula hooping, aerial yoga on a sling, and I'm hoping to start belly dancing.

Replies

• keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a former belly dancer, a hooper and a pole dancer.. conventional cardio bores me! (apart from swimming, but it's too cold for that currently :tongue: ) I also SCUBA dive sometimes.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've tried aerial silks and goddamn, you need a lot of strength for that. Can't believe how effortless they made it look. Friends of mine are in a dodgeball league and I've had fun doing "treetop trekking" types of activity where you engage muscles you never knew you had. Snowshoeing is also fun.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Aerial work is intense! Its defiantly something I wanna work towards and I imagine I'll have to surcom to more targeted strength training with a personal trainer first. I use to rock climb as well and would love to get back into it. :-)
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I would say gymnastic or balance type and flexibility moves: dips, pull-ups, jumping, static holds, sissy squats, one-legged SLDLs, etc. with just body weight or really low weight and FULL range of motion.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So different perspective here for you.

"depends on your goal"

if you just want to work out to work out- do whatever makes you happy.

If you have long term goals- stop worrying about being 'entertained' by your workout.

They aren't movies. They are workouts- if you have a long term goal- you must sacrifice to get there- one of those sacrifices is variety- if you are training- you do very similar workouts for months/years at a time- you give up the here and now and how I "feel" about my workout- The base workout is often the same- the focus may shift- heavier legs-- heavier shoulders- whatever- but generally- the workouts are all very similar over the course of a year or more.

My feelings are irrelevant- only success to get to the goal.

So figure that out first.

I am a bellydancer. People comment all the time when I post "45 minutes of bellydancing" or whatever

"Great burn- what a great way to do bla.."

It makes me LOL quiet a bit- it's not fun- it's work. I cry. I sweat- I swear- have break downs. Why? because this isn't' fun.
    This is training- my long term goal supersedes my desire to have a good work out or have fun. Does that mean I'm miserable EVERY workout? Of course not. But it's not all fun and games- work is work.

Sometimes it's awesome. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes it's miserable.

If you just want to have a fun workout- and get it in- go do different things- dance- rock climb- zouk- bachata- derby- horse riding- whatever.

but if you have specific goals- get it out of your head that it's all new and fun and exciting.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Brazilian Jiujitsu. It has been essential to my progress. It is fun, interesting, and several times per class I have to face self-doubt and overcome it and have to learn to relax and become comfortable or capable of performing when in extreme discomfort (which is one of the goals of the martial art - to make your opponent uncomfortable while working towards a submission). The self-doubt and comfort in discomfort are extremely important and are what allowed me to actually be ok with a half marathon and a 65 mile hilly bike ride. As a bonus, when I first started, it was a huge calorie torcher. New people always over-exert themselves.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love hula hooping too :) going to add you, i love fellow hoopers!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not as interesting as other posters, but my spouse is in the military -- as a result we do a lot of what I like to call "weighted hiking". We fill the rucks (is this a civilian word too? I honestly have no idea) with measured weight and head out for really any activity. Walking the dog, exploring new trails, sometimes even jogging. It makes even the simplest stroll into a workout, and has a huge impact on how often I "work out". It is so simple, but we often get compliments while we're out from people: "I never would have thought of that!" and "Wow! You are so badass/fit/dedicated". Everyone loves compliments!

We bought cheap plates from someone's retro weight set for this purpose. The rubber-coated sand-filled ones!
  • eri204
    eri204 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started doing aerial (silks) about a month ago and it is TOUGH! Albeit very enjoyable. I've also tried a few boxing (not cardio/kickboxing, but more technique focused) classes and am building up confidence to take a krav maga class in the next few weeks. And of course touch football season begins soon!

For aerial in particular, the instructor recommended a lot of flexibility training and stuff like lat pulldowns/daily use of a pull up bar/various core strengthening exercises when I asked what I could do more of in the gym to improve on the silks. All of which makes sense and can be incorporated into my more "conventional" workouts. The aerial gym I'm going to also does contortion/tumbling classes, which look extremely challenging as well.

Good luck mixing it up!
  • Jett_05
    Options
    So different perspective here for you.

"depends on your goal"

if you just want to work out to work out- do whatever makes you happy.

If you have long term goals- stop worrying about being 'entertained' by your workout.

They aren't movies. They are workouts- if you have a long term goal- you must sacrifice to get there- one of those sacrifices is variety- if you are training- you do very similar workouts for months/years at a time- you give up the here and now and how I "feel" about my workout- The base workout is often the same- the focus may shift- heavier legs-- heavier shoulders- whatever- but generally- the workouts are all very similar over the course of a year or more.

My feelings are irrelevant- only success to get to the goal.

So figure that out first.

I am a bellydancer. People comment all the time when I post "45 minutes of bellydancing" or whatever

"Great burn- what a great way to do bla.."

It makes me LOL quiet a bit- it's not fun- it's work. I cry. I sweat- I swear- have break downs. Why? because this isn't' fun.
    This is training- my long term goal supersedes my desire to have a good work out or have fun. Does that mean I'm miserable EVERY workout? Of course not. But it's not all fun and games- work is work.

Sometimes it's awesome. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes it's miserable.

If you just want to have a fun workout- and get it in- go do different things- dance- rock climb- zouk- bachata- derby- horse riding- whatever.

but if you have specific goals- get it out of your head that it's all new and fun and exciting.

Its a fair point however I have totally been a gym fly before and I'm really good at loosing weight/building strength ect. This time around I'm tweaking my approach so I don't get stuck in bad ruts. I take things to extremes sometimes and doing exercises that make me thankful and appricative of my body is important to me. I also find 4 hours a night dancing my booty off on a dance floor to some awesome EDM to be comparable to 2 hours in the gym. I work three jobs (2 that are very straining on the body - a fitness assistant and care provider for a partial quadraplgic and I am also a deep tissue massage therapist) and I like to think its ok to think outside the box when it comes to fitness.

I have very active friends and all of them have reiterated that they don't go to the gym or workout at home. They just do what they love to do such as hooping, swimming, long boarding, surfing, and dancing. One of my dear friends use to be 220lbs and is now 125lbs and incredibly fit. All she does is hoop and hike a little.

Different strokes for different folks!
  • Jett_05
    Options
    Brazilian Jiujitsu. It has been essential to my progress. It is fun, interesting, and several times per class I have to face self-doubt and overcome it and have to learn to relax and become comfortable or capable of performing when in extreme discomfort (which is one of the goals of the martial art - to make your opponent uncomfortable while working towards a submission). The self-doubt and comfort in discomfort are extremely important and are what allowed me to actually be ok with a half marathon and a 65 mile hilly bike ride. As a bonus, when I first started, it was a huge calorie torcher. New people always over-exert themselves.

My fiancee and I want to try this! :-D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Its a fair point however I have totally been a gym fly before and I'm really good at loosing weight/building strength ect. This time around I'm tweaking my approach so I don't get stuck in bad ruts. I take things to extremes sometimes and doing exercises that make me thankful and appricative of my body is important to me. I also find 4 hours a night dancing my booty off on a dance floor to some awesome EDM to be comparable to 2 hours in the gym. I work three jobs (2 that are very straining on the body - a fitness assistant and care provider for a partial quadraplgic and I am also a deep tissue massage therapist) and I like to think its ok to think outside the box when it comes to fitness.

I have very active friends and all of them have reiterated that they don't go to the gym or workout at home. They just do what they love to do such as hooping, swimming, long boarding, surfing, and dancing. One of my dear friends use to be 220lbs and is now 125lbs and incredibly fit. All she does is hoop and hike a little.

indeed- it was definitely not a pass judgement thought- just musing and pointing out some things.

You definitely have to do what you want- and what makes you happy. Goal driven seems to be the key. If you have no goal other than living life to the hilt- then go forth- be fabulous and do all the things. :)

it's just if you have a specific goal that that doesn't work.

I work 3 jobs as well- so I hear you on the busy and making the most of it- just trying to offer the balance and keep that whole goal thing in mind.

I have friends who don't work out at all outside of dance- they do what they have to do and live fab lives. just different priorities! :)
  • Jett_05
    Options
    I just started doing aerial (silks) about a month ago and it is TOUGH! Albeit very enjoyable. I've also tried a few boxing (not cardio/kickboxing, but more technique focused) classes and am building up confidence to take a krav maga class in the next few weeks. And of course touch football season begins soon!

For aerial in particular, the instructor recommended a lot of flexibility training and stuff like lat pulldowns/daily use of a pull up bar/various core strengthening exercises when I asked what I could do more of in the gym to improve on the silks. All of which makes sense and can be incorporated into my more "conventional" workouts. The aerial gym I'm going to also does contortion/tumbling classes, which look extremely challenging as well.

Good luck mixing it up!

That's awesome!!! I defiantly look forward to starting. I'm a naturally pretty strong individual and as Im a ballet pointe dancer turned yogi I've always had insane amounts of flexabilty. I've been doing a lot of pull up work and core bnuilding to prepare. The concept of trying to get my current 165lb form up in the air is a little daunting though and I'm hoping to feel a little more like a graceful cat and less like a st. Bernard stuck in a tree. Who knows. Maybe I'll muster the courage to try despite my plus size form ^_^
  • Jett_05
    Options

indeed- it was definitely not a pass judgement thought- just musing and pointing out some things.

You definitely have to do what you want- and what makes you happy. Goal driven seems to be the key. If you have no goal other than living life to the hilt- then go forth- be fabulous and do all the things. :)

it's just if you have a specific goal that that doesn't work.

I work 3 jobs as well- so I hear you on the busy and making the most of it- just trying to offer the balance and keep that whole goal thing in mind.

I have friends who don't work out at all outside of dance- they do what they have to do and live fab lives. just different priorities! :)

I'm defiantly goal oriented. I have a weight loss goal. I usually tell myself things like "ok I'm going to do 1 hour of hooping, 1 hour of yoga, xx reps of plank twist, xxx reps of leg lifts, ect.". I just don't get militant about it now and its been an amazing and effective plan for me.