fitbits?

Options
does anyone here use fitbits? what do you think? debating some sort of heart rate monitor or tracking device but not sure... thanks:)

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I use one, I find it interesting to see how much I'm walking each day.

If you're interested there are a lot of Fitbit groups, you might find more information there http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=fitbit
  • gela130
    gela130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    thank you. nice job on the 51 lost
  • kelseypalmer1614
    kelseypalmer1614 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit that I've been using for about a month now.

Honestly, I love it. I love having a step goal that I can montitor throughout the day, and up my activity level as needed. Every time I sync my fitbit, it shows me my calories consumed/left, which I've linked to my myfitnesspal account. It reminds me to get on and log my food. No extra hassle of having to put the food into the fitbit system, it does it automatically from myfitnesspal.

But my favorite part, is actually the sleep tracker. Before I started using the fitbit, my sleep was horrible. It'd take me forever fo fall asleep, I'd wake up every hour-hour and a half, and it would take a while to fall back asleep. Since I've been using the fitbit, I fall asleep faster, don't wake up as much, and when I do, I fall right back to sleep. I think it's because I'm aware of what I'm doing. If i'm moving my arm around, it shows up on my fitbit, so I concentrate on being still as soon as I put it into sleep mode. I go right to sleep, usually in less than 5 minutes (compared to the hour it could sometimes take before). I don't know if it'd help everyone this much, but it really helped me. I feel much more rested, and don't crash in the afternoon.

In my opinion, it's a great tracker, and I highly recommend it :)
  • ReneeReiser
    ReneeReiser Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit. It is a pedometer. You would still need a separate heart rate monitor. Probably best to just buy a heart rate monitor that also tracks steps. I don't like having to log activity separate when I do something other than walking. I do wish I would have bought something different. I don't always walk, but if you do then this would be great for you. Good luck! :-)
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you walk/run alot then the Fitbit is great also it is interesting to see just how much you do move about during the day.
  • meganwinx
    meganwinx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way.
    - If youre looking for something to track how much you walk during a whole day, OR track your steps on a run/walk
    Then a Fitbit is a good choice

- If youre looking for something to track strictly your workouts, A HRM is a good choice.

basically a Fit bit can only track how many steps you take, so if youre doing aerobics it wouldnt be very accurate (obviously) lol

I weighed pros and cons of a fit bit and a polar FT4 for a while and ended up choosing a HRM because I know I like to switch things up a bit. But over all BOTH are good choices.
  • gela130
    gela130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    interesting about the sleep...
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I've been wearing it for over a year now
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit and a HRM. I also found an App for my phone called Digifit that syncs with my HRM (it has to have bluetooth to do this) and then automatically sends my workout data to Fitbit so that my steps/calories are not double counted. I dont have to log any work outs anymore either because Digifit does it for me.
  • Chloe0602
    Chloe0602 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and LOVE it! I too use it to track my sleep as well my steps, floors climbed and of course compete with my friends, lol.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and love it. My job requires me to be on my feet and walking every day so its really helped with that. However, it doesn't measure heart rate or any sort of cardio workout (unless you're running). So I'm thinking of getting an HRM for when I work out and using both. The reason I didn't get an HRM in the first place is because I don't want to wear a watch/bracelet all the time. For the most part they're big and bulky. I hide the Fitbit in my bra. But for work outs I don't mind wearing an HRM.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit that I've been using for about a month now.

Honestly, I love it. I love having a step goal that I can montitor throughout the day, and up my activity level as needed. Every time I sync my fitbit, it shows me my calories consumed/left, which I've linked to my myfitnesspal account. It reminds me to get on and log my food. No extra hassle of having to put the food into the fitbit system, it does it automatically from myfitnesspal.

But my favorite part, is actually the sleep tracker. Before I started using the fitbit, my sleep was horrible. It'd take me forever fo fall asleep, I'd wake up every hour-hour and a half, and it would take a while to fall back asleep. Since I've been using the fitbit, I fall asleep faster, don't wake up as much, and when I do, I fall right back to sleep. I think it's because I'm aware of what I'm doing. If i'm moving my arm around, it shows up on my fitbit, so I concentrate on being still as soon as I put it into sleep mode. I go right to sleep, usually in less than 5 minutes (compared to the hour it could sometimes take before). I don't know if it'd help everyone this much, but it really helped me. I feel much more rested, and don't crash in the afternoon.

In my opinion, it's a great tracker, and I highly recommend it :)

^^THIS… and also clarifies that you are not as active as you think you are.
    I also created silents alarms (the device vibrates) to remind me to get up and move.
  • bg192905
    bg192905 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit and a HRM. I also found an App for my phone called Digifit that syncs with my HRM (it has to have bluetooth to do this) and then automatically sends my workout data to Fitbit so that my steps/calories are not double counted. I dont have to log any work outs anymore either because Digifit does it for me.

Do you have to carry your phone while exercising for this to work? I need something to better monitor nonruning/nonwalking activities.

By the way, I love my fitbit. Its worth the purchase to keep me honest all day!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    When I wear mine, I find it very useful to track my calories burned from daily activity, including walking, running, standing and skating.

It's not accurate/useful for biking, lifting weights and swimming. If I do those, then I have to change the automatic log. (I use the MFP interface to make those adjustments.)

Overall, if having a healthy, active lifestyle is something important to you, I think it's a good investment.