feeling lightheaded/sick after workout?

Options
Hi everyone!

My resolution for 2014 is to lose some weight but mostly get healthy. I'm in college and last time I truly worked out was when I was in soccer in high school. I do lots of walking and yoga but I noticed that over the years my body just isn't strong enough and I would like to gain some more muscle. I'm 125 pounds, 5'1, and not super heavy, but I don't feel good about my body, especially because I'm so outta shape. I was really nervous about where to begin but luckily I found a workout buddy at school recently. I told her I was really intimated by all the machinery and she insisted I try most machines to get a good routine going at the gym.

I power-walked on the treadmill for about 25 minutes and felt fine while walking, however, when I stopped I felt really lightheaded (not dizzy) when I got off. I took a few sips of water and got on the next machine. I did the elliptical for about 15 minutes, and the exercise bike for about 5 minutes before I called it quits. I wasn't feeling as lightheaded but felt a bit shaky. I don't feel as bad now hours later, but I still feel really tired. I'm really scared because I think I pushed my body too much too fast and I'm clueless as to where to go from here (go back tomorrow? take a few days off?)

I have checked out previous boards that say this can be caused by not eating well before workout or the day before. I'm clueless as to what to eat before hand because I had a green smoothie and a 10g protein bar before hand and thought this would be fine. I'm not sure if I should get my heart checked out because just last summer I had a stress test, echo-cardiogram, EKG, and heart monitor and everything checked out clear- my doctor gave me the green light to do exercise so I'm just confused as to what could be causing me to feel this way.

Anyways, any advice for this rusty newbie would be great! Thanks y'all!

Replies

• baieballe
    Options
    I thought I might also add that my workout buddy didn't warm up or cool down at all. I have heard that these things are super important but she simply hopped on the machines and went to town. I tried to do some light stretches before hand though!
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to trust what your body is telling you and don't do as much to start. Start slow and work your way up.

The same thing happened to me when I first started last July. So I just took a bit easier. I stepped back and slowly worked my way up. After a few weeks I was already noticing a huge difference and could start to really push myself. Now i really enjoy it... even when i push myself hard enough that my muscles ache the next day.

As for 'warming up'... I think just starting off what you are doing will do it... just walk slow at first. The trainers in the recreation center (gym) I go to recommend that I do stretching AFTER I exercise, not before.
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You might be having low blood sugar or low blood pressure, or both, or another issue, like a problem with your heart.

I would eat something 1 hour before you workout and make sure you are well hydrated and have water at hand when working out. I had the same problem when I started running, and my issue was that I didn't eat and drink enough before working out. Onced I fixed that, I was fine. I eat about 30 min prior to working out, which isn't for everyone, but after a lot of experimentation, found this was what was best works for me.

If this doesn't fix it for you, then see your doctor asap. You are very young, and it could be a warning sign of something more serious.

eta: I didn't read your post in its entirety - my apologies. I see now you had numerous cardiac testing. I would still experiment more with your eating and drinking before workouts. You might need more carbs, and you might need it closer to your workout, like I do. But if that still doesn't fix it, I would still go back and see your doctor.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It is true that you will feel off if you don't feed yourself properly but to be honest with you, running/jogging in place on a treadmill without actually moving is a confusing thing to your body. Once you stop your body/balance is still trying to figure out wtf is going on so you may feel a bit dizzy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It is true that you will feel off if you don't feed yourself properly but to be honest with you, running/jogging in place on a treadmill without actually moving is a confusing thing to your body. Once you stop your body/balance is still trying to figure out wtf is going on so you may feel a bit dizzy.

I remember running 8 miles on the dead mill once back in high school or between college I don't remember why- I think I just got on it and said well I guess I'll just keep going.

Either way- at some point I had to go... like GO. so finish quickly and walk quickly to the head and that would be it. HA HA HA.not.

so I made 8 miles and called it a day- and I hopped off and went to walk to the bathroom and literally almost fell over.

not.
    natural.

it happens- you kind of adjust and learn to take a minute or two before just hopping off and trying to walk away.