Have decided to get the gastric sleeve

Options
Hello all my name is Jaime. I have recently decided to get gastric surgery to give me the push I need. I went to a seminar last night. Learned about all 3 surgeries and I'm leaning towards the gastric sleeve. I have filled out my paper work last night when I was there and turned it in to them before I left now I'm waiting on the call to schedule an appointment with the doctor. I've also called my doctor to sign the PCP letter and they said they'll be sending it in for me. I've struggled with weight all my life. When I was in high school my lowest was 160lbs. Through the years I got married a few times and gained weight. My last marriage I was so depressed with my life that I tried to eat myself to death. I ended up leaving my last husband and divorced him. Two months after that I decided that I wanted to get back into shape. I was in and out of the hospital for my weight as well. Back in the beginning of 2010 I was around 530lbs. It was bad. I couldn't do anything without being tired and short of breath. I quit eating bad, no soda, no liquor or beer and only drank mainly water. Since then I've been on the roller coaster but I have lost 160lbs. I know if I wasn't on the roller coaster that I could have lost more weight. Before I lost this weight I was pre diabetic, on oxygen, and had polycystic ovary syndrome. I also had sleep apnea but never had the insurance to get a sleep study. Now all I have is sleep apnea, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I also have asthma which I've had all my life but this year has been one of the worst for my asthma. I'm so drained from it to where going to take my dogs outside and back to the living room I'm out of breath. Which I know the weight doesn't help me either. I want to get myself healthier so I can go out and do things with my boyfriend without being winded.

My question to all is, is the gastric sleeve the way to go? It seems to me to be the best way to go. Anyone who has had it done can you give me advise and you life changes after you got it?

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I think the best weight loss tool is patience. I would rather spend a couple of years getting rid of a few hundred pounds then to waste my money doing something so invasive.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Great job losing so much weight already! and being determined to change your life!

I have no knowledge of the gastic sleeve, except the people I know and see who have had them a while always look kind of sickly.. hair loss, pale or dull skin, etc. Is this something that effects only certain people, or everyone who gets the surgery?

Just wondering. good luck with everything :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you already lost 160, why not just keep going?
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I quit eating bad, no soda, no liquor or beer and only drank mainly water. Since then I've been on the roller coaster but I have lost 160lbs.

Since you asked, I think this is the way to go.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery. I hope it goes well and that it helps you make the transition to a healthy life.
    You may get some negative, know-it-all posts from people. I hope not.
    Whatever you do, please take positive steps to make sure that you change the style of life you have been living so that the gastric sleeve becomes a permanent success for you.
    You will need to begin a gradual program of implementing exercise into your life. This will help in so many ways that I can't even explain them all. But please do this under a doctor's care.
    Good luck again! Ignore any naysayers.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that losing weight didn't get rid of your PCOS, it just reduced your symptoms.. good luck with whatever you decide to do :flowerforyou:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    So sorry you have been through such a lot. There are people on here that have lost 300lbs and more. Look for them and take their advice. Take care, spend lots of time reading the forums to learn how to change your life around. You're in the right place. I hope you are logging all your food even if you are going over, walk even just for a few minutes around the house and be sure to use scales so you know you are eating the correct portions. I'm not really into surgery but try all this for a few weeks if you haven't already and see how you go before you do it.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    my sister inlaw did it and she can never have a soda or alchol ever again, her hair has thinned out, she has no belly button from the tummy tuck, and if she eats too much she "blows up from both ends.

no thank you... rather do it the old school way.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric sleeve in april of last year. I have lost 120lbs so far and I am feeling soooooooooo much better than I every have. There are lifestyle changes that you have to make to get the program to work for you. But they aren't that complicated and if your committed it becomes second nature.

If you truly believe that its what you want to do, don't listen to all those people that tell you horror stories they heard from their 3rd cousins girlfriends hairstylists mother. Go to the support groups for bariatric patients and listen to those people. They are living with the surgery and they will tell you every dirty nasty thing and ever wonderful positive thing that can and does happen.

Follow the surgeon, exercise physiologist, nutritionist and psychologists recommendations and remember to ask them for help. And if your surgeon doesn't provide ALL of those things - find another one who does.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have really been helped by surgery. Fortunately, surgery today is much less risky than 10-15 years ago. They seem to have worked out most of the issues that caused increased mortality and severe malnutrition.
    While it's certainly better to lose weight naturally, I've seen very,very few people who are successful when they have more than 100 lbs. they sometimes lose all the weight but so often, they gain it all back if you check again five years later.
    Congratulations on all the weight you lose and good luck with your surgery.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    my sister inlaw did it and she can never have a soda or alchol ever again, her hair has thinned out, she has no belly button from the tummy tuck, and if she eats too much she "blows up from both ends.

Of course you cant have carbonation - your stomach isn't big enough anymore for all that gas. How is that a bad thing? And as for the alcohol, sucks to be her because most of us have no problems with liquor and wine as long as there is no carbonation.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

That's kind of what I was thinking. I see so many people who do it and just look kind of sick all the time. IDK
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric sleeve in april of last year. I have lost 120lbs so far and I am feeling soooooooooo much better than I every have. There are lifestyle changes that you have to make to get the program to work for you. But they aren't that complicated and if your committed it becomes second nature.

If you truly believe that its what you want to do, don't listen to all those people that tell you horror stories they heard from their 3rd cousins girlfriends hairstylists mother. Go to the support groups for bariatric patients and listen to those people. They are living with the surgery and they will tell you every dirty nasty thing and ever wonderful positive thing that can and does happen.

Follow the surgeon, exercise physiologist, nutritionist and psychologists recommendations and remember to ask them for help. And if your surgeon doesn't provide ALL of those things - find another one who does.

Great post. THanks.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Before doing something that is incredibly life altering, a lifetime of not being able to absorb nutrients and bathroom troubles, etc (I have a friend who has had this and regretted it) maybe try logging food, setting a reasonable deficit and trying exercise for a couple of months to see what you can do on your own before making such a decision.

You've done amazing losing 160 lbs. Plus you already said you use food for emotional reasons, you still need to deal with your emotions and after the surgery how will you do that?

Have you ever tried water walking or such to relieve your joints? The asthma does put a wrinkle in thing but maybe start by walking around the house five or six times a day and building from there. Weight loss has more to do with diet than exercise.

I just think you have a lot to consider. Make a list of pros and cons. The consultation should be free, ask about how many vitamins you will have to take, bowel problems, excess skin problems from losing weight too fast, overall success, recovery time.

Go into the success stories section here. There have been a lot of successful people who have lost a lot of weight without surgery. And then do a lot of research, it's a huge decision and it may be right for you or it may not.
  • javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

[/quote

Enough said! :)
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you aren't being patient enough with yourself. Give yourself credit. You have had weight losses. You also have other issues. You may need to get to the root of the problem such as depression.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This is a very personal decision to make with your doctor's input, but seeing as you've already lost 160 lbs, I think it would be worthwhile to give yourself some more time to see if you can continue to lose before deciding on the surgery.

I know one person who had weight loss surgery, and she's doing very well (not sickly looking at all), but those surgeries can be risky since you already have pre existing conditions.

If you haven't done it already, talk to your doctor about referring you to a dietitian who can help support you with a meal plan and be there when you just need a little guidance and help.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You have to do what is right for you. Only you and your health care professionals can make that decision.
    It takes commitment no matter what decision you make. Changing a life time of eating habits and forming new healthier habits.
    You can do this, whatever you decide.
    Best of luck to you!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i think if you've lost 160 just keep on doin what you are doing. my roomate had the sleeve on january 24th. so far so good. but i just dont see how shell be able to get adequate nutrition with what she is able to drink at this point.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Those types of surgeries are last resort options. I wouldn't consider any of them to be safe, nor any of them to be easy. I know many people who consider these options to be "cheating", but it is definitely not. Just know if you choose this option, you will still have to work very hard for your weight loss. Yes, you will feel more full while eating less food- but will that mentally satiate your hunger? Sadly, most people gain the weight back after these types of surgeries because the amount of food they are prescribed is so limited.

If you are sure you are prepared for this option, and truly feel all other methods of weight loss will not work for you, then go for it. Just be careful that you are getting enough nutrients once you start eating after the surgery.

Best of luck!