How/can you stop gaining water weight?

Options
What steps can one take to stop/minimise water weight gain?

Thanks

Replies

• OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sodium! Start by using MFP to track your sodium. See how much you take in a day. 2,500mg per day is decent, but 1,500mg is what you really want to strive for. REMEMBER: sodium makes you soak up water...so watch & reduce.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    -lower sodium,
    -increase potassium (water retention is typically as a result of the sodium/potassium balance, most get too much sodium so increase potassium to balance the 2)
    -stop working out (I don't recommend this action, but when working our, especially if a new routine or increased intensity, your muscle will store water to aid in recovery and protect them)
    -drink more water
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    drink more water
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    -lower sodium,
    -increase potassium
    -stop working out (I don't recommend this action, but when working our, especially if a new routine or increased intensity, your muscle will store water to aid in recovery and protect them)
    -drink more water

This... but your body goes through natural cycles, especially for women. So while you can mitigate some, you can' t stop it.

Also, carb levels can affect water weight.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    -lower sodium,
    -increase potassium (water retention is typically as a result of the sodium/potassium balance, most get too much sodium so increase potassium to balance the 2)
    -drink more water

This. Or the best option: don't worry about water weight. Why would you care unless you had to make weight for a competition?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    -lower sodium,
    -drink more water

^^ yes.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Drink a TON of water. We need at least half our body weight in ounces every day. That means a 200 lb person needs 100 oz water.
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    In addition to lowering sodium, Drink more water. Don't count soda, juice, coffee, or anything else as water. If your body has enough water, it won't try to hold on to it. There is some formula for figuring out how many ounces you should drink. I don't know what it is exactly.

If you see a lot of weight gain from water, or swelling in your ankles, you may want to go see a Dr.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    -lower sodium,
    -drink more water

This. Or the best option: don't worry about water weight. Why would you care unless you had to make weight for a competition?

That's what I was wondering...
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    drink more water

that's what I was going to say. The more water you drink, the more your body will be willing to get rid of. If you don't drink enough, your body will automaticaly retain it to prevent dehydration.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    We need at least half our body weight in ounces every day.

No, we don't.
  • claireszydelko
    Options
    I just wondered really, just waned to reduce the chance of a gain, through it being water.

When you say drink water not juice, does water with a splash of dilute it count? i can't drink just plain water (well i can but its vile lol)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    We need at least half our body weight in ounces every day.

No, we don't.
    haha, i was just typing that. The above is one of those common fitness myths. This has a good discussion on water.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I just wondered really, just waned to reduce the chance of a gain, through it being water.

When you say drink water not juice, does water with a splash of dilute it count? i can't drink just plain water (well i can but its vile lol)

There is nothing wrong with juice. Also, as a women, you will have a lot more issue with water than a man... TOM, etc.. There really is nothing to prevent natural adjustments in your body. Heck, when you strength train, your body uses fluids to repair muscles.. it's a good thing.. it's for protection. Just try not to look at weight daily, but rather a trend over 4+ weeks.
  • claireszydelko
    Options
    Really, every 4 weeks? I have just cancelled ww and they tell us to do it weekly! might try that saying that though, i'd end up sneak peaking ha ha
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

A bit of lemon juice is actually a diuretic and can help decrease water weight.
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with juice in and of itself. However, if someone only drinks juice because they don't like water, that is a lot of sugar and calories. I am more so talking about straight juice, absolutely nothing wrong with a splash of juice in water to make it palatable. You could try keeping a pitcher in the fridge with some slices of lemon, orange, grapefruit, cucumber, or whatever else you like, in it. I have also used Mio, and lemon or orange essential oils in my water to make it easier to drink.
  • claireszydelko
    Options

There is nothing wrong with juice in and of itself. However, if someone only drinks juice because they don't like water, that is a lot of sugar and calories. I am more so talking about straight juice, absolutely nothing wrong with a splash of juice in water to make it palatable. You could try keeping a pitcher in the fridge with some slices of lemon, orange, grapefruit, cucumber, or whatever else you like, in it. I have also used Mio, and lemon or orange essential oils in my water to make it easier to drink.

Its just a touch of dilute squash in, no added sugar of course i do track those calories
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Drink a TON of water. We need at least half our body weight in ounces every day. That means a 200 lb person needs 100 oz water.

Absolutely not true!

My sister had a doctor tell her that and I showed up at his office with scholarly articles to refute that. She was freaking out so much about drinking 120oz of water (which is like 15 glasses a day...when you are only up for about 13 hours a day!) that she was spending half the day in the bathroom and the other half feeling nauseous.

Strive for about 8 glasses of water a day. Also remember that things BESIDES actual water have water in them.

I agree with other people's suggestions about other ways to improve water retention. I just am really passionate about people who say to drink 1/2 your body weight ... pffff!
  • claireszydelko
    Options
    With my weight (currently 266lbs) i'd drown drinking half my body weight...ooops lol