Have decided to get the gastric sleeve

Options

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery (Roux-en-y) 10 years ago and would do it again in a heart beat! My situation was very similar to yours. I have a friend who did the sleeve and in listening to her it wouldn't have been the option for me but it sounds like you did your homework. Just be open minded and honest when you talk to your doctor.

People are going to tell you to just keep doing what you are doing, that surgery isn't good for you, surgery is the easy way out, etc. IGNORE THEM! DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!

A few things to remember to be successful: This is a complete and total lifestyle change, no matter which WLS you go with. You have to commit to it for the rest of your life to be successful. 65% of all WLS patients gain a significant amount to all of their weight back because they were not truely ready. This is not easy. You have to get your protein, you have to get in your exercise, you have to be very aware of your body because you can make yourself sick very easily, you have to take your vitamins - for the rest of your life.

Becoming significantly overweight with no medical condition attached is an addiction and you need to ensure that the situation(s) that triggered the addiction are taken care of or you will still overeat or you will replace it with another addiction.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! Please feel free to friend me and/or send me a message if you have questions. Would love to follow/support your journey.
  • JasonBeauvais
    Options
    I partook in a weight loss competition at work a few months back; one of my competitors had the surgery shortly before the competition began. While I can't say what her experiences were, I do know that I consistently lost more weight than her on a week-to-week basis, and I lost more than her over the entire duration of the competition. (8 weeks)

My weight loss strategy consisted of nothing more than healthy diet (vegetables, fruit, and lean meats) and exercise. (walking 4-5 miles per day)

I'd say not to get the surgery. Just my opinion though.
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that no matter which way you go, make sure that you also embrace the lifestyle changes that need to be made. Weight loss surgery does not guarantee weight loss - you will still have to put in the work to make sure you're eating a balanced diet and proper portions. Several of my husband's family members have had it, still eat like crap, and are the same size or bigger than before.

Good luck in whichever you choose!
  • lmccull1982
    Options
    I have seen people get a gastric sleeve and do well. I have also seen people die. Yes, die. After years of nutritional deficiencies and parenteral nutrition and never having real food again without getting ill. It is not common but it can happen. Surgery is an insult to your body that you may not survive. Please consider carefully.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    As I watch too much TV.. my Question to you ise.. How is the Gastric Sleeve going to help you?
    Are you currently exercising?

The Gastric Sleeve will not prevent you from eating ICE Cream all day..

How do you think the Gastric Sleeve will force you to stay within your Macros?
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have never weighed over 300 pounds, I started losing at my highest: 291. So I can't say I've been in your shoes. Sometimes I see posts of people that talk about how they have been so "fat" nearing 200 and I can't help but think they have no idea. So now I'm in their place, I've never weighed as much as you and can't imagine the strain on your body. I know that statistically, those that have surgeries for weight loss don't tend to keep it off. I wanted a quick fix my entire life, but even though I'm only 1/3 of the way to my first major goal, I'm still slowly learning to change my habits. I think that's the biggest thing-habits and lifestyle. I'm doing calorie counting and exercise and it's working for me. Slowly. I wouldn't judge you if you got the surgery because it would take you a long time to lose the weight, but I feel so much more free (and proud of myself) by losing it naturally.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hello all my name is Jaime. I have recently decided to get gastric surgery to give me the push I need. I went to a seminar last night. Learned about all 3 surgeries and I'm leaning towards the gastric sleeve. I have filled out my paper work last night when I was there and turned it in to them before I left now I'm waiting on the call to schedule an appointment with the doctor. I've also called my doctor to sign the PCP letter and they said they'll be sending it in for me. I've struggled with weight all my life. When I was in high school my lowest was 160lbs. Through the years I got married a few times and gained weight. My last marriage I was so depressed with my life that I tried to eat myself to death. I ended up leaving my last husband and divorced him. Two months after that I decided that I wanted to get back into shape. I was in and out of the hospital for my weight as well. Back in the beginning of 2010 I was around 530lbs. It was bad. I couldn't do anything without being tired and short of breath. I quit eating bad, no soda, no liquor or beer and only drank mainly water. Since then I've been on the roller coaster but I have lost 160lbs. I know if I wasn't on the roller coaster that I could have lost more weight. Before I lost this weight I was pre diabetic, on oxygen, and had polycystic ovary syndrome. I also had sleep apnea but never had the insurance to get a sleep study. Now all I have is sleep apnea, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I also have asthma which I've had all my life but this year has been one of the worst for my asthma. I'm so drained from it to where going to take my dogs outside and back to the living room I'm out of breath. Which I know the weight doesn't help me either. I want to get myself healthier so I can go out and do things with my boyfriend without being winded.

My question to all is, is the gastric sleeve the way to go? It seems to me to be the best way to go. Anyone who has had it done can you give me advise and you life changes after you got it?
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You've just lost an amazing amount of weight without surgery. Take a serious look at how many people who have the surgery gain all their weight back within 5 years. It seems like an "easy" fix, but I don't see it as easy. What you need is a serious life style change and you've begun it. Carry it over and become the new person you want to be. Read the horror stories of people who have had the surgery go wrong. Or pm me, and I'll tell you what happens when fat people have routine cancer-removing surgery and it goes a little badly and you end up in ICU for weeks. I would consider it a risky last-chance resort. You are already losing without taking the risk, so why not keep it up?
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I wish you the very best of luck! I had bypass surgery about 10 years ago. Even though I have gained back about 60 lbs. it has still kept me from being up to 300 or more. I am a compulsive eater and the only reason I don't eat huge amounts of food is because I can't with the smaller stomach. On the other hand, I can eat all the cookies, chips, bread, etc. I want which is why I have gained weight back. As I am sure you learned at the pre-surgery meetings you still have to use discipline, and stay away from the bad for you foods.

A lot of people giving you feedback cannot imagine what its like to be 300-500 lbs. It takes over your life. I honestly believe you are making a good decision, in fact a life saving decision.

I will watch for your posts post surgery and if you like can give you some hints and support for your recovery if you would like.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Jamie,
    please check www.verticalsleevetalk.com to see read the good, bad and ugly (and most importantly - the TRUTH!!). Please don't listen to the stories of my friend this or I knew this person that.... get real information from real Doctors and real patients. No matter what path you choose, become educated and stick with it.

Good luck.

BTW - you can PM me for more info if you like.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I know 4 people who have had bariatric surgery, 3 got the sleeve.

One had it done recently. Within the last 6 mos. and had horrible complications - liver failure, some kind of metabolic dysfunction, decreased kidney function, and sky-high blood pressure that landed him the hospital for a couple of months. He's recovered from that now, and has been losing weight.

Another had it done many years ago. He's an ex-athlete that just kept eating like he was still active after he retired. He had no real problems to speak of, dropped weight to the point he looked skeletal and had to be put on a weight gain plan to get him back up to a healthy weight. Apparently that triggered overeating and now he's overweight again. Not all the way back to where he was when he started, but close.

The third had no problems with the surgery, but never really dropped the weight he needed to, either. He was easily 200 lbs overweight, and he dropped somewhere around 40lbs. Good, but not nearly enough. He's going to have to diet if he wants to get any lower.

Basically, the take home is that the surgery is essentially pointless if you don't adopt the proper eating habits after it's done, and comes with its own inherent risks. There have been successful results for many (I just don't know any of them). Personally, I question whether those people could have been successful without the surgery if they were given a proper moderate diet to follow (I suspect they could have and that's why they were a success with the surgery), but that's not a question anyone can answer.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Insurance at work would help pay for it and I went to a seminar where the doctor talked about the 3 options; pouch, sleeve, bypass. I scheduled an appointment with the doctor and met with him. The insurance has a condition that you have to lose a certain amount of weight before you can get the surgery...I guess it's to show you're serious about losing weight. Well, I lost that initial weight and at that point decided I'd do it the old fashioned way. As of now, I've lost over 100 pounds and have no dietary restrictions...except eating like a pig...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    If you already lost 160, why not just keep going?

^^Yes, this^^
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The statistics are against us all no matter how the weight is lost and a huge percentage of us will gain back the weight. Does anyone seriously believe that most of us who have been, or are morbidly obese, want this for our selves or our loved ones?
    None of us can say what is right or wrong for anyone else. People come here for support to help themselves become healthier.
    This is a very personal decision for each of us. I too did this strictly counting calories, no gimmicks, pills, surgery or whatever, but this is not necessarily right for everyone. She need to do what is right for her and get advice from her health care professionals, not an internet forum.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    While I personally don't have any experience with it, I do know someone who had the procedure done, and she actually ended up almost dying because it somehow twisted and cut off access to the sphincter that allows food to pass from your stomach into your intestines. She started throwing up constantly and was having a lot of pain in her stomach. If she didn't go to the ER when she did she would have died.

These things can help to an extent, but they can also malfunction very very seriously. You've been doing well on your own so far, why take the risk?
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Gastric surgery has crossed my mind quite a few times and I am fearful to do it because I am an emotional eater and I don't want to do the surgery only to have it fail for me. But that is just me. I wish you the best of luck in your decision and if you have the surgery good luck on that journey as well.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've known 6 people who had different forms of weight loss surgery. Gastric bypass, lap band, gastric sleeve, etc.... of the 6 people I've personally known, 2 have died from from complications, and two often say they wish they'd never had the surgery, one lost all the weight and then regained more, and one is quite happy with the results and seems healthier than ever before.

Its not for me to tell you what to do, but you should really try talking to some people who have had the surgery, and not just the ones the doctors might "hook you up" with. I am sure that the doctors would probably use those who are happy with the results as spokespersons, but you want to hear both sides, so try to also hear from some who are not happy with the results.

You have shown that you can lose weight without the surgery, no doubt you could lose faster with it, but would you be healthier as a result? All things to think about.

As I said, its not for me to tell you what to do, I can tell you that if I were in your place I would keep trying to lose through changing my habits, without surgery.

I wish you luck whichever decision you make.
  • knjm4v
    knjm4v Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as Kim! I also had RNY a little over 2 years ago and have lost about 105 lbs.. I feel awesome, have had no complications and my blood work has been great every time.. As long as you follow the rules, eat healthy and exercise, take your vitamins, drink all your water you will be fine. It is a tool just like all other life changing ways of eating, WW and all other so called "diets". I don't agree in calling anything a diet because I feel like it has to be a life changing way of eating. Do your homework and talk to other bariatric patients.. Also feel free to add me to your mfp friend list... Best of luck to you.
  • hollycocacola
    Options
    I have scheduled the surgery for the sleeve for myself in March I am a RN and I KNOW the long term complications of being overweight. I have dieted and yo-yoed and I know that without help I will just get bigger and bigger. I am committed about staying on a strict diet and I exercise. I have never been thin, but I do believe that if surgery is used as a TOOL that it can help many people. It will allow me to lose the weight in a year or two and once in the range of a healthier weight I will do my best to maintain. My twin sister-in-laws and my mother-in-law have all had the sleeve done in the past 2 years all are very happy with the results. But picking the doctor is very important. I have also placed a wound vac on a friend of mine that did have serious complications with her gastric bypass. I have read many studies on the procedures. There is typically only a 3% serious complication rate with the sleeve and this is a great statistic but if you are the 3% then it doesn't matter that 97% of people don't have serious complications.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You have to do what is right for you. The important thing is to get the weight off and keep it off. To that end, do your research, listen to what people (especially your doctors) have to say, and make an informed decision. There are people on here who have lost 150 or more pounds without surgery and kept it off for the long run but a lot of that is fixing emotional issues tied to food. Don't forget that angle.

Best of luck!