emotional over eater... help!!! advice

Options
I clearly have a problem. I dont know if its because Im stressed out about life and work or what ..but I've been overeating big time. Its not even that I eat because Im hungry.. I literally will grab ANYTHING just to feel like I'm feeling a void. Ive gained about 30lbs in the 3 months and i feel miserable! I used to weigh 250lbs my whole teens and early 20s.. I got down to 165lbs about 3 years ago and loved my body and I have just let myself go.. I swore I would never be fat again (250lbs) ..I'm only 5'2.. I literally can't stand looking at myself in the mirror, I don't feel sexy, I hide in my clothes (Sweats all day). I want to feel like my old self and get this under control so I can feel sexy again. Not just for myself but for my hubby.

I need advice/support ..anything.. I have a home gym..I tell myself I'll work out "today" and it never happens, I always have an excuse

Replies

• Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You know what you have to do.. nobody here is going to tell you anything to get you motivated if it isnt inside of you. Read your post over and over again until it sinks in how sad you are right now and realize there is nothing that is going to fill that void but happiness. Not food, not self doubt, not self pity. Just do it. Youve done it before..its going to be a hard road.. but try to remember that great feeling when you start to see real progress.

Life and work and the stresses that go along with them will NEVER go away.. but you will be better equipped to deal with them once you are happy with yourself.
  • Diana1207
    Options
    What you need is a buddy. Someone to pick you up when you need it, encourage you, or give you a swift kick in the tushie when you need it! :wink:

I am in the same place you are, however I am nearly twice your age! I have fought emotional eating my entire life. I now find myself at 262 lbs with no energy, and staring heart disease in the face. I have a husband I love dearly and a six year old son who is a miracle. I have every reason to love myself and take care of myself, yet I don't. I think I need a swift kick in the tushie!

I think the key for both of us is learning that it's okay to love ourselves. And in loving ourselves, we will take better care of ourselves. Do you have a close girlfriend you can share this with? Someone who will commit to exercising with you? I am better at exercising when I have someone to do it with. And I am much less likely to break an appointment with someone to work out, than I am to break an appointment with myself to workout!

Message me privately if you need to vent. Sometimes that helps. Maybe we can help each other stay on track!
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    when you feel like eating, drink some tea and do a quick workout (like some squats, pushups, etc) instead. the tea will give the oral fixation you want and the exercise will not only be exercise, but it will distract you from the wanting to eat.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    munch on cherry tomatoes or anything really low calorie.. plain popcorn? cucumber?
  • jbabbitts
    jbabbitts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are an emotional eater... So two things.... 1. you have to work on the triggers that are making you eat. Are you eating to fill a void or using it to soften the stress? Either way you have to find a way to release the emotion that is causing you to eat. 2. If you are going to eat you need to put things in your reach that are good for you to snack on. If you bite it write it in your diary and keep track of it. So plan to keep baby carrotts or popcorn around for you to munch on when things are out of wack. If you feel like you are being deprived it will make it worse.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor and maybe get a recommendation for a therapist who works with eating issues/disorders. The vicious cycle of overeating-weight gain-depression/anxiety can be too overwhelming to conquer alone. Plus, it sounds like you need to be evaluated for possible eating disorder (30 pounds in 3 months...BTDT).

Of course, this isn't professional advice but if you decide not to talk to your doctor, maybe you could keep a journal. Write down whatever you want as often as you'd like but try to write down your thoughts, environment, etc. whenever you feel like eating to "fill a void". You may eventually see a pattern..."I feel like eating around this person, in this environment", and so on. Then you can dig deeper into that pattern.

You're not out of control. You are voluntarily giving in to your brain's urges. You have absolute control over your motor functions. Just because your brain tells you to "eat" when you're not hungry, you don't have to listen to it, nor should you try to distract or suppress that urge. Paying any attention to it, either by feeding the urge, or attacking it, or actively trying to ignore it only strengthens the signal to overeat. I recently read a book titled, Brain Over Binge, that covers the topic in more detail (although the author doesn't believe in therapy but I do). It's a decent book for explaining how the brain creates these urges to eat and how to handle them.

ANyway, you're not alone, you have more control than you realize and seek professional guidance.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What you're describing -- hiding in sweats, not being able to get started on a workout -- sounds a lot like depression. If that's the case, it would be most effective to deal with that at the same time as the overeating. Even if you just want to handle the overeating first, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go talk to someone.

Saying "I'm going to work out today" could just be too much for you right now. (Obviously it's not working, so why not try something else?) Would it be easier for you to say "I'm going to do one exercise today"? Maybe just taking a walk around the block, or one set of some exercise? The idea is that once you get started, it's likely that you'll go just a little bit longer, and then a little bit longer than that, but it doesn't work unless you give yourself permission to stop after that one thing if you really want to. Otherwise, you know you're trying to trick yourself and it won't work. It seems like it's very slow going at the beginning, but it might just be that all you need is the push to get started.
  • strandeduser
    strandeduser Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Although i'm a guy but I had the same thoughts as you. I work in an office and sit all day on the pc. i was eating heavy food during lunch at work and when i got home i ate over 2000 calories (2 hotpocket, 2 burittos, chips, chicken nuggets, yogurts, etc). THat's how bad it was for me and I learned from it. I ate dinner and also was grabbing food from refrigerator during the middle of the night and even before bed. yes i was hungry and whenever im sad/depress/stress i just eat whatever is in the fridge or on the counter. My advice is to watch your calories and don't right right before bedtime. Drink a glass of water before going to bed because during sleep you become dehydrated.

I used to be 162 lb seriously but was cutting down on my late night habits of eating so it dropped to 150 and couldn't get it lower than that so i was desparate in finding a solution. I was feeling really frustrated because I felt stuck at 150. Was losing hope and concern I would be back to 160 lb. Came across this app and gotta say it works for me.
    I assume you've been using the myfitnesspal app. I just started on it for 2 weeks now and have lost a few pounds so far.
    This new app really help me cut down more but slowly which I am very impressed. you want it at this pace because it's healthier and safer than losing too much within a weak. That will cause a lot of damage to your health. It actually helps me track my calories. I was at 150 lb but now at 147 lb. Although it doesn't seem a lot but slowly progressing and feeling good. I know for sure if i keep my pace like this I will reach my goal in 3 months. Once I hit 125-130 lb I will stop losing weight and try to maintain that weight. Cant keep on losing weight or else i will turn into anorexic. Also sleep at least 7-9 hrs daily it helps the metabolism. If you lose 2 hrs more sleep each day .... it will make it that much harder for you to lose weight. you feel weak and would depend heavily on food to keep you going throughout the day.

I have learned alot this past couple of weeks about myself and how to control what I eat. I can honestly say that I turned into a maniac and obsessed with calories lol. Just think of calories as your enemy. Maybe try planning ahead on what you should eat during lunch and dinner. YOu can always take a 10-15 min walk during your breaks / lunch that's what i've been doing around my work parking lot. I figured out that you can burn 3-4 calories per minutes. Walk at your own speed no need to do speed walk. 4 x 10 min = 40 calories burned. I ate very light during lunch such as either a subway sandwich. other days maybe a slice of pizza. sometimes a banana with yogurt. Drinking unsweeten tea helps for some reason. I hope my advice helps. YOu just gotta think the negatives of eating too much. You dont want to end up with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and end up in hospitlal because of a heartattack. I used to have high cholesterol from eating too much mcdonalds so i stopped and now no longer have that issue. I walk and sometimes run on my treadmill but also been benching to tone up my body. I feel good about myself and happy these days. I hope my advice helps you. Good luck. Let me know how it goes for you. Don't lose hope!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredom eater, so I can relate to feeling compelled to eat something despite not being hungry.
    Here's what's worked for me:

1. Log everything you eat - the good, the bad, and the ugly. It's tempting not to keep track of the bad days, but if you don't log it, it's easy to ignore or downplay what you're really eating. Once I started logging everything accurately, I could see very clearly what my calories and nutrition looked like, and it was a lot easier to make food choices based on that information.

2. Make an exercise schedule. It can be difficult to get yourself motivated to do a workout, especially if you're waiting for some free time or until you feel up to it. I've found that if I make up a set schedule with specific workouts, I'm much more likely to stick to it.

3. Keep plenty of low-calorie snacks in the house to munch on. I don't believe in food restriction, and I'm a firm believer that you should continue to eat all the foods you like while you lose weight. But for those times when you just want to mindlessly munch on something, it's nice to have low-calorie alternatives around. If I'm not particularly hungry but still want to eat something, I go for things like raw veggies (carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, and cauliflower are my favorites), pickles, rice cakes, popcorn, or apple slices. There are also some snack foods that are somewhat calorie friendly, like pringles and pretzels, and I've found some chocolate animal crackers that are pretty calorie-friendly.

4. When snacking, portion everything out in the kitchen and take your serving with you to eat in another room. If you take everything with you, it's more difficult to count out your portion correctly or stop eating when you've had a serving. But if you take your portion with you and separate yourself from the rest of the food, you're less likely to overdo it. :smile:
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My therapist told me to snuggle my cats or dogs when I feel compelled to eat for emotional reasons. If you don't have a pet, and can't get one, then find something else to give you that dopamine boost. A stuffed animal? Sometimes just hugging something soft and furry is enough to get that boost. It has really worked for me. Therapy is an emotional overload; if I can deter the eating after a session then it may help you out as well.
  • strandeduser
    strandeduser Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also one more thing... try eating pickles it has 0 calories. I replaced other snacks with this to satisfy my craving late at night. hey you can eat as much as you like but just gotta watch out for the sodium. i been drinking beer for the past 10 yrs lol and never knew beer contains 120 or more calories each bottles. Thought it was 0 calories but all alcohol. So yeah beer will add more to your weight. Also white steam rice although has no flavors but there's actually 200+ calories per cup (8 ounce). So just gotta know what you are eating. I didn't know this so I was eating a big bowl of rice each nights (500 calories) alone. If you add other things on top of it it can come out to over 1 thousand calories. After learning this i started eating 1/2 cup or 1 cup of rice.